WC 2018 Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    I don't think Mexico is overrated if the question is if they're the best team outside Europe and SA. But that's not what a lot of posters imply on these forums, rather that they're top 5 in the world, at least. I've never seen such hubris before as after the win vs Germany. Long winding posts explaining why Mexico is better at literally everything concerning football than the Germans.

In reality of course they got away with a huge upset, caught the Germans sleeping. Germany has better players on every position.

Then I hear about the Mexican "WC curse" which apparently is a big thing. I don't get it. Should'nt making the playoffs every time be seen as a success for Mexico? I'ts not like they have a proud football history or have produced any real stars except Hugo Sanchez? I don't get it.

Can someone explain where all this major self confidence comes from? I mean even little old Sweden in the snowy north have way more football history than them.

trebaruna repped this.
  2. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    Jesus Christ you're gonna win buddy, take it easy. But it's cute that you guys actually are showing signs of being nervous. :p

JoseEmidio repped this.
  3. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    This is what I'm talking about. You are toe to toe with Belgium? The hubris is insane. You probably would'nt get a single of your players into their starting eleven. You are delusional.

4. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I post mainly in the Mexico forums and I haven’t heard anyone say (no joke, not a single person) that we’re a top 5 team. I don’t doubt that they’re out there but it’s not as widespread as you’re implying.

I also know the posters there better so I’m able to separate comments from posters that say this kind of stuff all the time from the ones who genuinely believe we’re a top 5 team.

TBH I’ve seen more praise of this sort from foreign media and fans than I have from Mexican media.

LGRod, JJV1994, deejay and 1 other person repped this.
  5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Smoke and mirrors

6. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    We recently played them in Belgium and tied. 3 to 3.

LGRod repped this.
  7. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    Sweden more WC history than Mexico?

You're lost. They had a WC final appearance back when TV was black and white and my old parents didnt even exist lol.

Since 1986, Mexico has made it out of the groups. They've also never lost to the seeded team. Germany or Brazil or Italy, Mexico is making it to the playoffs.

Sweden maybe had a fluke run once in the early 2000's. Cant remember the year.

Also, they play an ugly game. Heavy defense, set piece goals.

Any well coached country can play that game. Just look at Iran.

LGRod and JJV1994 repped this.
  8. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    One more thing. I also think you're lying. Show me proof of one Mexican poster that says we're top 5. You're full of it.

9. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    You just said you are as good as Belgium with Hazard, DeBruyne and lukako etc. They have a top 5 team.

10. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    Well we also came third in 1994. Just the fact that you take up our good defense and trying to use that against us says it all really, you're not a football nation. You're attitude seem to be that the important thing is to have fun and not to win.

Even though you have 13 times our population we've had more famous footballers over the years.

Mexico's curse is you only produced 1 really good player in a 100 years.

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, they were 2nd in 1958 (at home)
    They also finished 3rd in 1950 and 1994 (this last one is even newer than Mexico best ever finish).

Also, were 4th once (1938)

In total, they have reached semi's 4 times, which is something mexicans can only dream with.

Till now, Mexico's best results were in 1970 and 1986, reaching quarters in both, where both were played at home.

2018 is not being played in Mexico...

Bajen Forever, Kung and HansWorldCup repped this.
  12. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    The fact that there is any argument among the two fan bases when neither has won anything important in recent years (unless you want to count MX Olympic title) is pretty laughable. Mexico has a pretty modest squad but anyone who thinks Sweden’s isn’t more of that same stock isn’t thinking clearly.

Also this is more of a side point but considering that it’s more difficult for Mexican players to migrate to European sides in good leagues (work permit/citizenship issues, not having EU passport, practices within the MX federation and clubs, players taking pay cuts just to play in Europe), I find it kind of telling that Sweden’s players aren’t really in any relevant clubs for the most part. The squad profiles are equally underwhelming on both sides, but I imagine Sweden’s players don’t face he same difficulties as MX players just to pick up a decent transfer. Any way you look at it, Sweden’s squad is no more impressive than Mexico’s.

13. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    The difference is I'm not saying Sweden is good. He is under the impression that Mexico's squad is on par with Belgium. I don't think Sweden's squad is close to top 10 in Europe alone.

And I don't buy that Mexico have a bunch of Hazard's and DeBruyne's being held back due to lack of work permits (lol).

The current Swedish squad is the least merited bunch of players likely ever in Swedish football history. We are basically Iceland in this tournament. I've never said anything else. Mexico should be clear favorites vs us in this WC.

14. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ok troll...vast majority don't see the team as top five in the world, no one is really saying this, stop lying. Seems like you just want to add your digs about Mexico fans being delusional and Mexico producing no players.

Frankly you don't know shit about Mexico and seem to just want to talk shit, not sure why. Misreading/misinterpreting posts on bigsoccer doesn't make you an expert. If you feel good about your teams chances great, good for you but You're no expert and clearly have a European bias. Delusional is someone who clings to having a football history where their most recent accomplishment was 25 years ago and speak of it like its relevant now.

Does anyone look and say well they reached the semis in 24bc, I guess that makes them good now. When you have to talk up shit that happened decades ago tells me you haven't done shit lately.

LGRod, JJV1994 and chris2787 repped this.
  15. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No, the difference is you are inserting bullshit assertions, but they're implying...no one is implying shit. Fans are excited because they beat the current champs which is reasonable, it's the fcking wc.

If you think Belgium is a legit top 5 ok, I'm not so sure but I guess we'll see.

16. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    The whole world knows Belgium have better players than you. I'ts insane the bubble you guys are living in. Insane.

And the WC don't decide what country has the best players, I'ts a cup so anything can happen.

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hummels ruled out is good news for mighty Sweden

18. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    We have four guys out since the Korea game. One injury and three to stomach flu. We are barren and broken. We have eleven half-amateurs who has to climb Mount Everest (Ger). Our big brother who we look up to so much.

This is David versus Goliath. If David was an amputee.

Surely this can't go well for us.

All hope is gone.

Or is it? :sneaky:

19. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You don't seem to have any reading comprehension. Never said Mexico is better than Belgium. I just don't think they should be included with the elite teams. Keep on with your false narrative though.

If anyone is in a bubble it's you...thinking the good football and players are exclusively in Europe.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We will soon learn where you arrogance and condescendence carries you

LGRod repped this.
  21. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    Ok Mr "5 World Cups + 1 World Pope".

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Proud history. Nothing to be ashamed of. I mean contrary to Swedish pregame arrogance

23. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Just a reminder, arguments are allowed but not personal attacks. Thanks!

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Mexico is not overrated. Osorio has done a great job with this side. Mexico has for quite a long time been a tough opponent; it has given my Brazil a number of difficult challenges, and its inconsistencies vs. Team USA notwithstanding, Mexico has good players and must be taken seriously.

With its very fast players and the tactical discipline shown against Germany, I can see Mexico defeating Argentina in the knockout rounds should they meet. They would likewise make life very tough for Brazil and for the other CONMEBOL contenders (Colombia and Uruguay).

I predict Mexico will defeat Korea.

25. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    This is just pitiful trolling...

LGRod and Pipiolo repped this.