WC 2018 Group B: Spain Portugal Iran Morocco

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by +PL+, Dec 1, 2017.

1. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's discuss here about Group B:

This group is not group of death but it is pretty tough enough with two heavy weight European teams, Asian top team and a great African team which eliminated Ivory Coast.

LGRod repped this.
  2. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    This is a fun group. It's close to a group of death if Iran comes in form and ready to play.

3. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Heading to two matches in this group (#19 & #36).

I haven't seen much of Iran in recent years but would love to know anything about them. Morocco have some exciting players (Ziyech, Boufal, Amrabat) but tough draw for both :unsure:

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    15 June
    Morocco 17:00 (CET) Iran in St. Petersburg
    Portugal 20:00 Spain in Sochi

20 June
    Portugal 14:00 Morocco in Moscow
    Iran 20:00 Spain in Kazan

25 June
    Iran 20:00 Portugal in Saransk
    Spain 20:00 Morocco in Kaliningrad

5. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Iran will come full force this time but advancing from a group with Portugal and Spain is monumental for us. I guess we play a very defensive fold that can get a draw from Portugal but not sure about Spain. Morocco is a good team and I am sure we play our best match against them.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am going to go out on a limb and say Spain and Portugal advance.

7. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Absolutely hyped to see CQs plans.

Absolutely hyped to see Azmoun vs Ramos/Puyol.

Absolutely hyped to see Ronaldo vs the defense.

KiarashM and themanlarry repped this.
  8. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Puyol won't come out of retirement for the World Cup

Californian81 repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't see Spain having much trouble but I can see Portugal going 3-and-out. What makes it more interesting is the Iberian derby happens on the first matchday. So one of the favorites will be under immense pressure if that doesn't end in a draw.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  10. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Our players seem hyped based on what they posted on social media, very surprising. Azmoun: “Yes! What a group [emoji1320][emoji7]”.

Ezzatollahi also wished for Spain and Portugal last week

11. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well from my perspective, just one Portuguese guy, I'm confident in my team. I haven't felt we have had this depth since 2006. That being said, I think the first game will tell all. If we get a win or draw we are golden, if not then we will have to loosen up which takes us out of our game. Morocco is quit solid and Iran is the very definition of resilient/tough. I see a lot of 1-0 score lines here. The only thing I can say for sure, come June my best friend will be Jack Daniels.

12. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Morocco Iran is a certain 0 - 0.

KiarashM repped this.
  13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The draw is terrible for Iran but the schedule offsets it somewhat. If Spain v Portugal was the last match, I would give Iran less than 5% chance to advance from this group. But with Iran playing its first game against Morocco and the last game against Portugal, I do give us at least a 25% chance. And if we do make it out of this group, we will be the surprise team of the tournament. The same for Morocco. They too have around a 25% chance and could be the surprise team instead of Iran.

TheHitman47, JoseEmidio and themanlarry repped this.
  14. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Iran should cause an upset to go out of this group and if we have any chance of upset it will be against Portugal.

15. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oops meant Pique. Miss Puyol too much :cry:

themanlarry repped this.
  16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tough group. This is where "put your money where your mouth is" comes for Iran, let's see how good they really are.

TheHitman47 and Rickdog repped this.
  17. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Blessing in disguise that Ezzatollahi is suspended for Morocco game. Would be better to use Hajsafi or Ebrahimi against Morocco for posession. Ironically Ziyech vs Jahanbakhsh.

Regardless of final outcome, Iran/Morocco are teams that will absolutely make Portugal/Spain work for it.

Not expecting blowouts like I do in the Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama group

+PL+ and themanlarry repped this.
  18. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Carlos Queiroz: "For me it is a very special group, because Portugal is my country and I had the fortune to train Real Madrid, so my link with Spain is narrow. But now only the coach of Iran and my goal is to make it difficult for some as well as for others, and also for Morocco. But we are aware of our possibilities. What is certain is that we are going to make war, that it will not be easy to beat Iran and that my players will try to have their minute of glory. There is nothing written. We'll see what happens."

+PL+ repped this.
  19. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There's a lot of history between Morocco, Spain and Portugal. Surely something interesting is brewing for this group.

I honestly think the door's open for anyone not called Spain, and Spain is already through the other door.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  20. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I just hope all teams in the group take Iran lightly just like the mainstream medias are doing, that's actually our best chance to ruin the show :ROFLMAO:

+PL+ repped this.
  21. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Iran is just not lucky on draw so my real expectation is not high for this group. With a slightly easier group we could manage a R16 spot, now I am only happy if we show a good football. Even 3 points is good for me. If we manage to draw Spain and Portugal it will be great and equal to a R16 spot from other groups. (Our group is second toughest group of all and tougher than all other AFC representatiives)

Why can't we get a group like Saudi Arabia or even Japan.

22. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Personally, I don't think Spain and Portugal will take Iran or Morocco lightly. The media are a bunch morons anyways. ANY team can miss going to the round of 16.

Zandi360 repped this.
  23. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its not that I disagree with them that Portugal/Spain are clear favorites.

But some of the stuff said like that idiot Fernando Fierro "not worth watching" is ridiculous

JoseEmidio, Nani_17 and NewLaw83 repped this.
  24. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah there are SO many guys like Fernando who are cocky and act like their sh!t don't stink. Guys like Craig Burley, Shaka, Alexi Lalas, Fernando etc. all suck and think they know everything about ALL the teams.

25. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You're going to hear several ignorant comments going into the WC. Some of us supporters realize how tricky this group is. I am still confident Portugal will get out, but not without some real nerves.