Post-match: WC 2014: Brasil x México, 17 de Junho de 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The defensive problem was non-existent when Ramires started IMO. He didn't contribute offensively but we were fine in covering our FB. Once he took out Ramires, Mexico was getting space.

BlueMan repped this.
  2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Yes.. and Ramires was in there to be an attacking force.. not another defender.. Ramires played a horrible match.

3. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Scolari played Ramires because he was weary of Mexico. Ramires did his job on that facet of the game. He contributed nothing in the other.

4. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #429 Redshift, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    I meant to say this yesterday, but better late than never.

I think the calls for Fred’s replacement from the starting XI are a bit premature.

From what I’ve seen, he’s better technically than Jo, albeit at the cost of some mobility.

I consider Jo to be more of a high impact sub and fresh legs to kill off games. Fred is a more natural center forward. In our CC cup campaign, he was instrumental. Fred knows how to play with his back to the goal as a pivot and reference point for Neymar. He can pass. And he has scored key poached goals for us. To top it off, Fred and Neymar have lots of games together under their belt. That kind of entrosamento and history can’t easily be replaced.

Although Fred’s form isn’t the best at the moment, I don’t remember him ever being a metronomic goal-a-game machine. I think we still need to try to salvage his striking partnership with Neymar. Maybe Fred will find his form if we go back to the original CC formation, with Neymar and Hulk on their preferred sides (but switching unpredictably), Oscar acting centrally, and Fred up top. Maybe he just needs to score to kindle his fome de gol.

What’s more worrisome to me is Paulinho. Depending on how he does in training, I’d give him another start, but if he hasn’t performed by halftime, I’d try an alternative. Or maybe Fernandinho should come on immediately.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  6. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Rewatched the game. Paulinho actually started out well. Was a huge factor in taking the ball in midfield and quickly passing it to set-up a fast paced counter. Had some other smart passes and positioning but that was only in the first 20 mins of the game. After that, he slowly grew invisible and completely became a non-factor in the 2nd-half. He needs to find a consistent form. Also, I thought the team missed Hulk in the right flank.

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    second half with Ramires out and Fred gone I saw Paulinho going up way too much.

8. BlueMan

BlueMan Red Card

Sep 4, 2006
    Brazil
    And Mexico started to take control. Yet the experts on this board harp on Ramires. Play Ramires, but play him in his position: volante. He is not a winger, that was proven. Paulinho's position needs to be: bench.

9. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico