PBP: WC 2010 Third Place - Deutschland gg. Uruguay 07.10.2010

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jul 7, 2010.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Didn't Portugal win that in '06 when we were clearly the most entertaining? I don't put a lot of weight into these "awards". FIFA are full of it.

2. Zullu

Zullu Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

3. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Boateng's performance was a pleasant surprise indeed. He was a solid defender in the other games, too, but in this one he even contributed to our attacking game - although fullback isn't supposed to be his favourite position. Well done!

I'm glad we finished the tournament in style. It wasn't a flawless performance, but that couldn't be expected under the given circumstances. Great box-to-box footy from both teams, and many neutrals will agree that this German team has been immensely entertaining to watch.

There was a thread before the WC started, "Will Germany shed stereotypes?" or sth like that. Well, I think they may actually have done just that. Bravo!

4. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am pretty sure it was an internet poll.

5. Zullu

Zullu Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brazil or Holland will probably win most entertaining;)

6. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Schweini should win golden ball... but I guess he won't.
    It would be unbelievable if Müller doesn't win best young player.
    Didn't know there was a "most entertaining" award.
    About that, it is funny though, 'cause we were very entertaining in 2006 and yet now journalists were like "wow, Germany playing entertaining football...". So I expect the same thing will happen next time (they'll be surprised again).

The octopus thing is almost scary already! :D.

It is really a pity Klose didn't play... took most of the interest of the game away for me.

He had said if Germany didn't win then he didn't care about the record. Maybe he really meant it?.

The amount of injuries before the World Cup was kinda absurd really... I was surprised then that we didn't get an injured player each match... but the Cacau and then Klose did get injured.

Agree, they were certainly impressive. I hope Klose and Friedrich can still play in 2012 (or that there's someone else equally good).

Müller, I didn't even know about him before... I watched Bayern's Champions League games since the match with Manchester and I have to say I don't think I noticed him playing... just that I noticed the name.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup and those morons are influenced because the official bodies create their own narrative which then contributes to that kind of public misconceived behavior. Completely disregard any objectivity of the game.

8. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Finally you all know why I am only here for the lulz!!! ;)

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    True, he doesn't really defend crosses, he needs to change that in order to be a great fullback.

10. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't be surprised if Man City plays Boateng everywhere in defense.

However, I don't believe Germany needs to try Boateng at CB at all.

Germany has Hummels and Höwedes coming up, not to mention Westermann coming back from injury.

Amazing how we forgot about those guys in this tournament, isn't it??

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If it comes between Boateng, Hoewedes , Hummels, and Westermann, I'd take the former three easy over Westermann at central defense.

Boatend deserves to get his shot at central defense. It's his natural position and he has now more experience than either Hummels or Hoewedes, so it's worth a shot to see who partners up the best. Boateng and Hoewedes played before together as well.