PBP: WC 2010 Third Place - Deutschland gg. Uruguay 07.10.2010

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jul 7, 2010.

1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    this stuff is decided before the final, so the final doesn't matter

2. |)ieRoten

|)ieRoten New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely. They finally showed some spirit in the 2nd half.

Khedira and Aogo need to be benched though. He did better in the 2nd half but Khedira spends 90% of his time marking air and has very poor positioning and game reading ability compared to Schweinsteiger. Aogo was just pitiful.

Props to Cacau, Kiessling, and Jansen for doing it the "typical German" way and having no technical ability but absolutely busting ass for their team. I'll take that over a lazy player with technical ability anyday.

For player of the tournament our only candidate is really Schweinsteiger. Ozil had a very good tournament, but not quite as influential as other players a la Forlan, Villa, Xavi, Sneijder, Robben. Close though. He is much younger than those players so he will be there.

Muller is a lock for young player of the tournament. I though I was watching Kaka from 2006-07 with all those runs right up the gut with the ball. Very impressive.

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea, he did give away the goal but Schweinsteiger and Oezil are the clockwork of this team, everything good went through those to. Schweinsteiger's work rate and ability to cover space is incredible. He has become such a dominating player. And Oezil, as tired as he was, was the best creative outlet for the team. Our style of play cannot work without those two.

4. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe not without Schwein, but I think Marin or Kroos could step in for Ozil and the team wouldn't skip a beat.

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any reason why kroos didn't get more time today? Does loew not rate him that much right now?

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think so at all. People have been far too impressed with Sneijder's play. Three of his goals were fortunate. His individual performances have been less impressive than either Oezil, Schweinsteiger and Forlan. His team has had an easier road to the final, and he couldn't function in the site without De Jong or van Bommel. The other three carry their teams on their backs. For me it's a no brainer. I don't think Sneijder has had a poor World Cup but i think people are too swooned by his club season for one thing and that Holland is in the final.

Realistically someone from tomorrow's game will win, and unless he or Villa have the game of their lives it will be an injustice.

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It might not, but my second comment is still relevant.

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe. I think Oezil is ahead of those two at the moment, in terms of pecking order and development. I can see Kroos getting there for sure but Marin? He obviously isn't trusted by Loew yet. I thought for sure he'd play a bigger role this tournament.

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We've yet to see. Oezil's reading of the game, his ability to play a pass to anywhere from anywhere isn't something we've seen Kroos or Marin do. Oezil is making the side tick in ways that have gone far too unnoticed. He was immense today again.

10. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok.

Btw, I remember before the tournament you said you'd take Kroos in your team over Oezil. Still the same?

11. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joachim Löw is new Evgeni Plushenko

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It will be an injustice IN YOUR OPINION!

Unless I didn't get the memo that you're the decider of all things football and only your view counts.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You have to stop pointing that out. It goes without saying. Stop getting so reactionary and making this personal. We are talking about other players and an award.

It's just irrational in a pure footballing sense. Sneijder did not have the individual performances to merit that award so far. It's impossible to argue that he has had a better individual tournament than Schweinsteiger, Oezil or Forlan. He simply didn't if you factor in all the points. Of course he can still get it, he will just have to have the game of his life to overtake the three in terms of individual performances. For me van Bommel has been just as good as Sneijder for them. Where are his plaudits?

14. Philipp Lahm

Philipp Lahm Member+

Feb 24, 2010
    Russian Federation
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am happy for this team, but they deserve better, at least this unlucky decade will end...

and the most important thing...

Trohowski, Aogo, Gomez, Kiessling, Badstuber out of the team FOREWER!

15. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When the Netherlands has needed someone to step up, Sneijder has been there man.

You say it is impossible to argue he's had a better tournament. You're nuts right there.

Excuse me if I'm getting "personal", but you can't tell me what is and isn't possible to argue.

I respect you, but you aren't going to tell me that I can't argue something.

Sneijder is 'for me' easily the Netherlands' most valuable player. He hasn't carried them because he hasn't had to. Schwein hasn't carried Germany either. He's been part of a total team effort and hasn't carried them because he hasn't had to.

The points can be very well argued man. I could even argue and make good points that Mueller deserves it more than Schwein.

Again, I respect you, but here I think you need to get over yourself.

16. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm really not sure about that. Özil wasted again a lot of good opportunities and his overall effectivity was lacking in this tournament (he was still very good but he can do better).
    Just look at the games of Bremen in the 2nd half of the season and you will see the same pattern and why Marin was the better play in that time.
    Especially Kroos is more consistent in his performances or actions on the pitch. Özil has still the tendency to make it a bit too complicate.
    Thats why I think that Özil simply isn't the future in the center, he is a bit too lightweight and unconcentrated sometimes. For me his better position is on the wings in a Messi like role and instead have Kroos in the center who is better suited for such a position.

17. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. Surely what that crap Uruguayan goalkeeper smoked before this match ain't legal?

2. Well gambled by Loew to handicap Germany so as to make this an entertaining, balanced match.

3. Somebody needs to plant an electric shock device on Schweinsteiger which gets activated when he either a) dallies on the ball for more than 2 secs without significant gain in space or b) steps onto the ball (double shock). And don't tell me he's doing incredibly smart, strategic stuff while delaying our play out of vanity like that...

4. Squid... stop falling back into Kroos fanboy mode :cool:

18. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Danke Germany!!!

Your Bunch of Kids Lit up an otherwise Ordinary World Cup 2010 and were the most Entertaining Team by Far!!!

Bastian Schweinsteiger!!!!...TAKE A BOW SON!!!!..What an Incredible Tournament and what an Insane Transformation in a year..From Whipping Boy at the Bayern boards to top three CM'S in World Football..Now we can all safely call him "World Class".:cool:

P.S:I want Octopus Paul on Speed Dial:)

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Based on how little Sneijder is needed for the team and just how much weaker the opposition has been, and how the opposite is true for said three players, I find it irrational to compare the overall value of the two sides. These things should be judged based on individual performance and overall impact on team but not exactly 50/50. It's far more complex. I spoke on a few points such as group difficulty, team players (Schweinsteiger is one of three, along with Lahm and Oezil that Germany rely on - We've seen that Holland's game doesn't change nor their impact when Sneijder was off, whereas the opposite is true of Germany at this stage in their development)

We all know about Oezil's wastefulness in front of goal and of course he can do better. He can be three times the player he is now but we shouldn't judge his performance based on that. His current role is Xavi+Iniesta+Mess for this side. He retains, controls the tempo and creates. No other player has so much responsibility for one single player. With a touch he can turn matches and turn what don't seem chances into possible attacks (today he had several moments when he only touched the ball with his outside foot, flicked it to Mueller in his own half, in a ridiculously tight space and opened up play completely - it was marvelous)

We'll have to see if Kroos can prove he can do the same in the midfield in this shape. However you can't say that because he's showing immaturity he should be ruled out of this position. At this point in time, nobody plays this role better in world football.

20. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Hi guys!

Saw the 2nd half and Boateng has been a revelation for me.

Didn't even know he could cross like that! :eek:

He had a massive tournament imo, before everyone thought he'd cause us
    a lot of heart-attack moments and even get a red card maybe but he was so strong and calm!

Would be a shame if City out him on the bench, it would be a crime actually.

Happy that everyone but Wiese got minutes!!

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yeah, don't like him either

:p

22. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I mean it exactly like that! :D

He's the Über-douche!

23. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    :D

I actually thought that might be the case, but I'll take a 50/50 chance to get in an one-liner :D

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats to the boys...I'm glad I was able to see them come from behind to wni a match. That is the stuff!!!

25. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Yeah, those guys have all been very good this tournament. Would love to see Boateng played at CB, his natural position. He really does look look comfortable on the ball doesnt he.

Friederich also had a good tournament. Very good tournament for him. Hes also the winner of the second most handsome guy award according to my gf. lol Right after Higuain.