PBP: WC 2010 Semi Final - Deutschland gg. Spanien 07.07.2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I could give two shits about Spain. Doesn't change the fact that currently, they are a better team and grinding out a result than we are.

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Crujiff said Spain is as good as holland 74. Causing a bit of a shitstorm with the dutch fans here...:D

3. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    That's normal. We would do the same thing. I think Germany played a good game against Spain, all things considered - Spain just was the better team.

Not surprised Lahmie is out today, he looked sickly during the Spain game.

4. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Löw: When we gained possession in the middle of the park, we were giving it away again too quickly. The way Spain knock the ball about, you spend a lot of time chasing after them. We used up a lot of energy doing that, and didn't see enough of the ball. We were also lacking in the kind of courage and self-belief we demonstrated against England and Argentina. Why, I can't really explain as yet."
    http://bundesliga.de/en/liga/news/2009/index.php?f=157463.php&fla=1

Skipper Philipp Lahm said: “We lacked courage to attack.”

And keeper Manuel Neuer added: “We lacked confidence. It wasn’t in our game from the first minute and we had too much respect for Spain.”

Striker Miroslav Klose said: “Spain forced us to run after the ball. We should have forced them into mistakes, but we didn’t. They had all the possession and we were running endlessly behind the ball without stopping.

“This defeat is even harder than the Euro 2008 final, but the team is young and have a lot of time ahead to achieve triumphs.”
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football...-2010-Germany-bottled-it-admits-Philipp-Lahm/

"We lacked the courage of our convictions going forward," said Germany captain Philipp Lahm.

"We didn't have enough belief in ourselves," said Germany's Miroslav Klose.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/08/1721630/even-the-germans-lose.html

"We didn't get forward enough and created too few chances," Neuer surmised. "Perhaps we were lacking a bit of courage. In almost every game we scored in the first half, boosting our confidence, but today it was different. Then Spain took matters into their own hands and started creating a string of good chances." (Neuer).
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5773105,00.html

5. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Somehow to say that you lacked courage doesn't seem to me like what a prideful player is very likely to say...

6. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They'd rather say that than admit they were outplayed.

Which a few of them actually had the courage to say directly after the match.

As far as I remember, all these other quotes started the next day.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well you figured me out. I'm a closeted Spain fanboy.

Can't some of you just accept the fact that outcomes are a two way street? What is so outrageous about that? Seriously?

8. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At least I'm not denying that at all... don't think the players are either.

Someone here posted a really good analysis of Germany's strategy in the game. I think I agree with him. Spain were playing better, but Germany had managed to contain them and could actually have managed to win the game. Which to me is more upsetting than if they would just have been outplayed.

9. mjd2086

mjd2086 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    This is pretty much how I am, or was feeling... the team did so well to stifle Spain's game for most of the game and to concede the most rudimentary, "un-Spanish" goal just seems so harsh. In the end, however, I have to concede that Spain did look the better team on the day... what a difference Mueller could have made instead of that worthless heap that is Trochowski.

10. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know which one you're talking about. I was saying similar things after the match. I was the one telling people who tried to say Germany "didn't show up" that they were crazy.

I've watched it three more times since including once today. Germany was outplayed. No question about it.

They weren't "dominated" as some were trying to say.

I don't know of you think "outplayed" = "dominated", but they are not the same thing.

I still believe had Germany thrown themselves into attack more, Spain would have shredded them.

And I'm just as entitled to my opinion as anyone insisting that had Germany "played more courageously", the outcome might have gone in their favor.

11. Wakashizuma

Wakashizuma New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not the outcome; it's how you arrive at that outcome that matters

Losing to Spain is not the problem; problem is you have bunch of players with no attitude of fighting back and using others means to win. I watched bunch of players being scared and hesitated to play the better opponent; I didn't see any of them diving or making controversial tackles which is sad but expected when you have a coach who cares so much for his "nice" clothing rather than teach his players some dirty tactics

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There's only so much you can do though when you throw yourself you risk losing your cool and play right into their hands. Ideally Germany should have played more composed and not let the pressure get to them. In their matches against England and Argentina Germany was comfortable because they knew they can get possession and that the opposition wouldn't do anything with it. Spain on the other hand doesnt' waste possession and every second on the ball is a huge threat and something Germany cannot get back. As soon as they did they gave it right back up because Spain's pressure was excellent.

13. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, the differences between the sides were more psychological... Spain seemed like a team ready to get to the final; Germany seemed like a team not sure they could get to the final.

Their doubt was obvious. Spain's was invisible.

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's definitely one aspect of it.

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And did you ever consider why the players may have felt the way you accuse them of? They fought back pretty damn well today, under similar, albeit different, circumstances. Did they just get lucky today? If Germany played like they did today against Spain the scoreline could have been embarrassing.

And how can you expect a team that was JUST put together to immediately develop alternative tactics and a great enough chemistry to overcome one of the best teams in the world?

And teach dirty tactics? Seriously? That's what you want your team to resort to? Come on. Not even the great German teams of the past resorted to that.

16. Wakashizuma

Wakashizuma New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course; what's wrong with it? Every team that has won a World Cup recently has resorted to that kind of tactic at one point. Brazil in 2002 against in Turkey; Italy against Australia or France in 2006. Guess what? At the end they won the World Cup and that's all that matters. When you play in a tournament like this, you have to do more than just playing attractive football to win. In every professional sport you have to take advantage of other means once in a while to win over your opponent especially if they have a edge over you in terms of quality

I'm not accusing the German team of anything, I applaud their overall performance in getting a third place finish in this World Cup and I understand that third place finish itself is something that some other teams have been trying to do for years and Germany has done it twice in a row

But for me when I watched the game on Wednesday I saw fear in German players. In sports, fear can singlehandedly bring you down and make you lose

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh really? Every team that has won a WC has used dirty tactics? EVERY TEAM? I'd like to hear a little bit more about this pre-2002. "Dirty tactics" are a consequence of the modern game and player, it is not, or SHOULD NOT, be a means to an end. There is no set formula to win a tournament, you have to play well, get your tactics right, have some favorable calls, have a little luck, etc. You can't make it seem like "dirty tactics" were some kind of missing ingredient here.

And again, does the team's inexperience and youth at all figure into your assessment? Or do you see this as a generational issue? If so, it's a bit pre-mature don't you think? Especially considering the erratic and short lived development/preparation of this team.

I asked this earlier and I'll ask this again, for anyone who knows. What was the youngest team to win a WC in the modern era?

18. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, Wakashizuma did say "recently", and you say that dirty tactics are a consequence of the modern game... so you seem to agree...?.

No idea about your question. Would like to know as well.

19. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Indeed. part of this was inexperience and the fact that many Spanish players have won so many titles and know what it means.

20. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He makes it out to be a means to an end while it's one of the many consequences/characteristics of the modern game. There is a difference. Who uses "dirty tactics" as a measure of a team's ability to compete? Come on.

21. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    shouldn’t this thread be closed? every time i see the subject line i get a weird pain :(

22. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :(...