PBP: WC 2010 Quarter Final - Deutschland gg. Argentinien 03.07.2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I should pull a Peter from Office Space.

2. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks, dude. I'm heading over there on Wednesday, because my usual game destination is Phoenix Landing, and I'm 0-for-2 in Germany games there.

Can someone give me a job so I can afford an away Oezil shirt? Pleeeeeze?

4. RishadN

RishadN New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What did I tell everybody? Germany was going to dominate. I knew it! We have the dream team right now as well as the dream story. Everybody came into this tournament with Brazil, England, Argentina etc. as favourites, and look at how we thrash those who stand in our way.

This is why I didn't mind when we landed in the harder side of the tournament tree. It's MUCH better witnessing the victory of Germany over teams that are supposed to be "favourites".

Next up - Germany vs Spain : 3-1 for GERMANY.

5. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, I just read that. Apparently, he has twins, like me!!!

6. Brandon10

Brandon10 Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Congratulations on the win. I will always consider 2006 a lucky win for you guys, but this time you left no doubt. I only regret that you didn't do this in the friendly to show Maradona for what he is before it was too late!

I will look forward to facing this team when we are at our best, with a good coach and some good tactics, and Messi playing in the correct position with a good midfield to support him. That will be one hell of a game. Your team being so young will also improve a lot in that time and it will be a great battle I'm sure.

7. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All German-Americans have been granted a sick-day by Angela Merkal & Obama.

8. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is Messi's heat map yesterday. He spent such a large portion of his playing time inside his own half/deep yesterday. Not what one would expect from a player like Messi.

9. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    What an Epic WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Props to LVG for unleashing the Mad Potential inside Schweinsteiger..The guy has become our most Valuable player even ahead of the likes of Ozil and Lahm.

No more exits from the SemiFinals/Finals,Let's just go on and win the Whole Bloody thing:cool:

Arne Friedrich Scored.Need I say more?;)

10. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am watching the highlights over and over...speechless, we played with such authority and everybody was having fun on the pitch...a picture perfect of a true team that has come together and has one identity....btw any up-dates regarding maradonas NOSE?? am sure in a matter of hours it will fall off and they have to order a plastic one for him...funny how the so called "BALL BOY" & THE "NERVOUS & SCARED" kid taught mr.maradona a valuable lesson in life that will be passed along from generation to generation....i hope KROOS can step it up....i wish muller wasent booked,i know kroos is arogant and good enough to pick it up ...but still am a bit worried:D

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well yea, that's what happens when he's victim to a poor tactical plan. First of all the midfield was poorly put together. Mascherano is the only players capable of doing midfield work as Di Maria and Rodriguez are wide players who like to run. There was absolutely no creative play through the middle because of Veron's absense and it forced Messi to constantly drop back.

It was also a combination of our midfielders and defense to press high. They did that fantastic and as much as Messi turned some players and had his chances he was forced to play outside his comfort zone without support.

12. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Look at the arrow, the arrow indicates the direction of attack.

Otherwise someone like Neuer would have been completely in the opponent box all the time. ;)

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player=228912/heatmap.html

13. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what was he scared of with veron? What was the downside of having veron there as opposed to maxi?

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanx.

Apparently, Löw just bluffed Maradona in Munich ;) ... knowing that we'd face each other at the WC again. This time, it was Mr. Löw who tactically clearly outplayed Diegito.

Kudos to him & the young team (which we can be very proud of), I'm still speechless. Who'd have just dared dreaming of such a shocking result against a squad like Argentina (not even conceding 1 goal against their top strikers)? And it's not just the result but also the way we dominated them for 60 minutes. To be honest, I never thought this would be possible ... but well, as we know our guys can be pretty crap on a bad day, but also outstanding on a good day. When I saw the video clip with them leaving the last training session singing, I knew they might have a good day ;) ... nevertheless, only the most optimistic Germany fans could have believed in what happened later on. Simply incredible! :eek:

15. zatopek

zatopek Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Lost in Webspace
    germany played the best football ever seen on this planet!
    especially the first 10 min. were unbelievable.
    my all time fav. player is bastian schweinsteiger.

16. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As much as maradona made a total idiot out of imself...i felt bad for him trying to get passed by the fans with cameras flashing into his dropped jaw and face...he suddenly seems so timid and hapless:eek:

17. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    That was simply amazing.
    I'm still almost speechless.

4:1 against England, 4:0 against Argentina.

I mean if you think about it, even our greatest German teams haven't managed that!!!

No matter what happens next, everyone should really just enjoy this for once and
    stop whining.

Stuff like this doesn't happen very often.

18. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with every word here.

19. bomber20

bomber20 Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I have in the past complained and made fun of Bastian Schweinsteiger (mainly at Equilibrium's expense), but I can't help but be amazed by his maturity, consistency and leadership skills. My hat is off to him and I am officially eating crow.

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, and I don't know why but I thought I'd say this here that I listed to rafael honigstein on the guardian podcast after the match. Usually I like his analyses and especially his feet on the ground tone, but this time he went too far, by saying never before has Germany seen a team that entertained and won at the same time. Has he forgotten the 60s and the 70s? I can understand people who can only remember the 90s and 2000s but this is too far, when those were the signature german teams that put themselves on the map for the DFB.

21. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* yeah, I apologize to EQ lol Schweini played really well this season but after this tournament he has become world class.
    I guess I can now start hating on Kroos:p
    EDIT: Dude squid, why the ******** do you listen to Honigstein? You should know by now that he's a friggin British puppet. He might sound like an "uber analyst of German football" to everbody else but really anybody who follows German football should see straight through him; he just gets his facts continuously wrong.

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Every critique that was directed at Schweini and Loew's selections were correct. They just overcame them, the possibility of which was always there as well. Keep on doing it is all I say! :cool:

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKfG8g7oCw"]YouTube- Maradona's reaction to four Germany goals[/ame]

24. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know, he wrote a really good piece on the state of the team right before the WM began. His usual guardian pieces are also funny and good. But he does get some facts wrong, and even the guys on the podcast were taking his comments with a grain of salt in this case.

25. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Spot on!! Well said.

I saw the arrow. Compare Messi to an Oezil or a Mueller and you will see that Messi has spent much larger tracts of time in his own half than the other two. He is more comparable to Iniesta (against Paraguay) and Iniesta is the one who is generally slated to play behind the CAM. He plays behind Messi in Barca. So, that's an indication of things going wrong for the Argentines.