Alert: Wave @ KiXX game rescheduled for 3-17 in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by mjames1229, Feb 16, 2010.

1. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    and I somewhat agree with you skipper
    MPS or no MPS - do I prefer it? - NO
    does it drive me away - no
    But I do not think that there are 2000+ people in each city saying "that sport has MPS so let's not go" would be and could be fun to go the game but MPS - nahhhhhh - let's skip it

2. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Boy - i was just thinking: what if the NFL did away with MPS and everything(Td - XP - FG) was 1 point - scores woud be like 5 - 4 or 4 - 2
    or 1 point for TD and take away the XP - why need it?
    And I think a 40 yard field goal is a lot harder to do than a 1 yard run for a TD so they should be the same points
    Hmmm - just thinking out loud - pondering the what if??
    or just leave it the way it is and watch it

3. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    News flash my friend. Since 2001 the MISL/NISL/MISL has added exactly 5 new teams, who all folded or left the league.

And now they have exactly 5 teams.

4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    A smarter analogy would be what if the NFL made field goals and touchdowns worth the same.

5. josh242

josh242 Member

May 30, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think comparing Indoor Soccer MPS to other sports who have always used multiple forms of scoring is comparing apples to oranges. My problem with MPS in Indoor Soccer is, that unlike Basketball I think a good percentage of the time 3 point goals do not take more talent than a 2 point goal. Many times a 2 point goal is created from good passing / teamwork as opposed to some guy sitting outside the arc. Back when PASL-Premier used MPS (when it was a developmental league for MISL II, pre PASL-Pro days) I saw many bad 3 point goals. Granted it was PASL-Premier, but I saw an own 3-point goal, a number of 3 pointers that deflected off defenders, times when the goalie was simply napping because the ball was so far out he didn't consider it a threat, and even a situation where the shot came clearly inside the arc, and the ref got the call wrong and awarded a 3-pointer that decided the game. Watching MISL II/NISL/MISL III games online I haven't seen as much of that, but I have seen a number of deflected goals and I think one own 3-point goal. It may work better at higher levels but I'm still not convinced.
    That said if Denver had an MISL team and they still played MPS at that time I would gladly attend.

6. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    ah again - looking backward to the pave the road in front of you
    That does not work MY FRIEND
    Do not be a negative force
    I never played this game and only got into it becasuse my son likes to play and then we started volunteering for the Storm and got involved with the team and it has been fun
    We look to the future and hope it gets better
    We went to Storm games and Wave games and Rampage games
    You know its funny - I can be a Rampage fan but I can meet any of these Wave folks and shake hands and have a beer with them
    Who wants to meet a grumpy gus like you??
    Smile and the world will smile with you and besides it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile :):)
    Always build a bridge do not burn one
    So MY FRIEND - what if after the 3rd try wilbur said to Orville "hey third times a charm and I am tired of hitting the ground lets give it up"
    and if old ben Franklin himself said hey stay away from lightening!!
    Or old Ford said ah this will never work - a horseless carriage
    and the guy who took soccer from outdoor to indoor - lots of folks thought he was crazy I bet
    It just aint that deep MY FRIEND - look to the rainbow because somewhere over it there is a pot of gold

7. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

The negatives of MPS you mention are soley to blame on a lackluster defense and sleeping keeper. The three point goal isn't there to show off individual skills, it's there to award offense and to punish the defense. When the flow of play is moving along nicely you can manage to grab the odd three pointer now and again but it's the ones that are late in a quater or a game, now that's actually the good stuff. Knock it around and strech a D out with a couple of quick passes and a solid strike from outside. If the offense works it around properly then they hit the three and the D was either caught out of place or simply unlucky. It's going to force the other team to start pushing for 3's but if you work your attacks right you can start going at the other side by switching mentalities from 2 to 3 and mix it up (short goal, long goal) and keep the defense guessing.That right there is simple beauty of the 3.

Late in game your team gives up a sloppy 3 and you lose. You're screwed and angry knowing that goal shouldn't of gone in and your team won. Next home game you're going and in your mind you're going to see a winner because your team deserved that last W. The flipside, you hit the three and win, hey they go both ways and you know it and leaving happy that you won. Both ways you're coming back and with a little hope for something better. Obviously this scenerio doesn't play out every game but when the 3 truly comes into play it's a plus more then a minus for the sport.

8. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    and to top it all off - the players have adapted to it
    when they lose they will probably tell you it sux but when they win and they had a 3 pointer to win the game - I know Fabhino will tell you it is ok with him

9. josh242

josh242 Member

May 30, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good arguments for MPS and the different things they bring to the game. I still like SPS better, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

10. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    ok - take your final shots at my statements but I think we all know where we stand on this MPS issue and enough of throwing apples & oranges at each other and I think we can let this dead horse lay right??
    Because it aint changing - and one can choose to watch MISL games or not watch MISL games and for whatever reason they may have or not have
    but I do think that we beaten this dead horse enough
    It is what it is - it should be over
    Good luck to the PASL teams who are now approaching their finals and end of season games
    Good luck to all the MISL teams who approaching their end of season!!
    Good luck to indoor soccer - may your future be brighter and bigger than it has been
    and the funniest argument of all - In which yard is the grass more dead??
    Indoor soccer can be enjoyed wherever it is played and whatever team you grow fond of - I went to a Midwest Wings tournament this weekend - I saw a lot of youth talent and saw some great games male or female and kids about 8 & up - they were GREAT games and some talented kids. and i enjoyed those games as much as any the adult games I have been to or pro games I have been to
    Is that OK with you guys??

11. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Syd: I'm not the individual that's even meeting with Checketts and the Scottrade Center people about the MISL. Once again you state your ignorance.

Don't come on my show without the facts.

12. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why should offense be rewarded more for connecting on a long shot than for passing it close and connecting on a short shot?

I grant your point that sometimes a three pointer might change a game for the positive on some occasions, but at times it will also change games for the negative. For instance, if each team gets five goals, but one team wins 11-10 in regulation, the fans are deprived of an overtime period. You might also have a situation where each team has four goals late in the game, but one team pulls its keeper because it is down 9-8. Then the team with the lead gets an empty net three-pointer and the game is over, again depriving the fams of a likely overtime.

13. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Hmm - I do not remember a picture of an ice cream truck nor an accordian
    I do remember the picture of the cheese & wine and the worlds smallest violin
    however - ahahahahaha

14. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    thought to ponder....

do you think more games went into OT when their was SPS as opposed to today?

everyone has to agree OT is much more exciting for the fans..

another trip down memory lane... the entire Cleveland Crunch roster running around the Baltimore Arena for about 5 minutes when they won a game in OT... it was classic. you had people booing and yelling at them... maybe even throwing some objects:)

one thing this sport is lacking today: EXCITEMENT!! a reason to come to games

15. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    3pt is just putting in a heavier goal to help encourage offense. If you're down by a goal and you need one to tie, you go for a two...if you're feeling greedy then you go for the three and live and die by the sword.

Overtime is great, sure enough.... it's still just as accomplishable as having a single pt goal being in play.

16. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Why should you get an extra point for an empty net goal? The goal isn't big enough already?

17. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Once again you demonstrate your inability to put one and one together and get two. Where did I ever say or imply you were connected to the meetings?

I know you have nothing to do with the meetings. You're just the guy who keeps telling us about these high profile meetings, meetings, meetings, and you're the guy who keeps harrassing (bothering) everyone about these meetings, meetings, meetings.

18. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. MPS means that some games where teams have the same number of goals will not be overtime games. That probably reduces the number of OT games. Occasionally, MPS will create an OT game where one team scored more goals than the other in regulation but that is rare.

19. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Maybe we can meet in the middle...

I think if you pull the keeper then the other team's goals stay at 2....no 3's for empty netters.

20. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Hey I got an idea
    Why don't we poll the coaches - owner & players??
    They are the ones on the field playing the game
    now granted - we are buying the tickets but if the players play the game and they enjoy it or like it - no harm no foul right??

21. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    There's not enough true indoor fans to make our vote/thoughts matter

22. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    ok - but if the teams are ok with it then why argue about it?
    It all seems a little silly to me anyway

23. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Because this is actually a secret club of fillibusters in training