WashPost: MLS Roundtable

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by geordienation, Aug 5, 2002.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Didn't see this link posted from over the weekend:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38458-2002Aug2.html

Roundtable with Balboa, Maisonneuve and Bocanegra.

Choice quotes:

Balboa: "The best thing that could happen is if baseball goes on strike. That's going to help soccer tremendously."

Bocanegra: "I want to say something about how the promoting goes. I think a lot of people portray soccer players as dorky guys, you know what I mean? I think so. A basketball player or a football player is a big, strong, tough guy. A cool guy. The basketball players have the cool Nike commercials. There's a good soccer one running in Europe that they don't play over here with guys juggling crazy. I've never seen it over here. I think they should portray us as people instead of "soccer players" from a marketing standpoint."

Balboa: "To help the league. Landon's got to stay. Landon's a huge name right now. Beasley's got to stay. But [should MLS take away a player's rights] to go to Europe? Maybe [take away] $2 million or $3 million on a transfer? Maybe [take away] a $1 million signing bonus and maybe $15,000 a week? That's a lot of money for your future."

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. Very interesting article. I'd love to read more stuff like this. It's especially interesting to have this kind of mix: one old-timer, one veteran USMNT pool player, one up-and-coming USMNT starter.

The thing that really jumped out at me:

These guys are very pro-MLS. They seem to realize that without this league they'd have nothing. They clearly feel a lot of pride about this league.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good link.

"What's your quick impression on the league's contraction?

Marcel Balboa: The league should never have been put in that situation. They should have moved one of those teams to Chicago before expanding. Now we're back to where we started with 10 teams. It's a case where we took two steps forward and two steps back again, so we're back at square one."

I don't think Chicago would have wanted the Mutiny moving to Chicago.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW!! Great read.

5. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    The Fire quotes from the All-Star weekend were pretty hilarious. First, there's the trash-talking, and then, from 'Los:

"Show a dirty tackle. People love that. They think soccer players are [weak]. We just run around out there and kick the ball around."

He's not making it easier for me to say we're not a dirty team, but then again, Jolley has said worse.

Later,
    COZ

6. MikeMidd

MikeMidd New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    DC
    Good read, definitely agree. It shows that these guys are intelligent, have thoughts about the future of the game they play, good representatives for soccer, etc.

I like Bocanegra's quote on "dorky" soccer players, which reminded me of the great one from the Sports Guy during the World Cup:

"Reason No. 125 why I never could have been a soccer player: Those four-man walls where everyone holds their hands over their packages and then the other team kicks the free kick right into them. That's about as fun as a car crash. It's funny, soccer players always have a reputation for being wusses, but this game is much more dangerous than baseball or basketball. The problem here is that we all went to high school and college with soccer players, and we know they're the types of guys who say 'Dude' all the time and hit on your girlfriend when you're away for the weekend. Hence, the anti-soccer backlash." - The Sports Guy, Jun 15, 2002

7. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    great article, i always love what our stars are thinking!

8. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was posted in the 8/3/02: Past and Future thread. I know some days there are alot of articles, but I am hopeful that you catch the daily news....

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    trust me, your work goes noticed by us... and i don't just mean the few of us that help you out from time to time

this may not be the news thread, but thank you gpk

10. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    GPK, we're with you man !

11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is hope that once our 1990 generation of soccer players (Ramos, Meola, Harkes, Vermes, Balboa, Caliguiri etc), all retire, that they will stay involved in the game.

Harkes has been outspoken about this in the past, saying that MLS needs soccer people not only in the coaching positions, but in the GM positions. This generation may be the first to step into that role league wide in a few years.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, the Mutiny played 2 years before there even was a Chicago team. The point he was making was that if they were only going to have 10 teams and Tampa wasn't going to work out, they should have moved the team to another city that wasn't in the original mix.

By the way, it was Dallas who got the franchise originally slated for Chicago in 1996. The reason Chicago wasn't in the origninal mix has to do with stadium issues.

Tom

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just goes to show you that some things never change.

14. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    I thought it was kinda interesting, though, that when Veronica Paysse asked Harksie about coaching, he smiled and said something to the effect of he still had a couple years left before that happens.

15. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I meant. i figured he was saying MLSHQ should have done a better job of reading the market and moved the Mutiny to Chicago after the 1997 season.

Looking back, my guess is Fire fans are glad that didn't happen.

16. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Bocanegra: "Our stadium [stinks]. We play on AstroTurf and it just gets so hot out there. There's rubber underneath and the heat index on the field is terrible. In Europe they have little stadiums that hold 20,000 people. They sell it out and get it rocking in there. If people have fun in the stands they'll come back."