Washington Spirit players

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by StarCityFan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, we'll see if Harris can keep this squad .500. They don't have any signature forwards like WNY had, so Harris gets a chance to play Hope Solo and impress.

4. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have had trouble scoring in the first few games but not from a lack of opportunity, the highlights for the first two scrimmages show Miller, Ochs and Wells are capable of putting some pretty passing plays together in the final third. They seem to just lack that killer instinct to finish that will come soon enough.

Caroline Miller is an outstanding striker who has the ability to develop into a special player. What few highlights I've seen her in so far for the Spirit have been impressive.

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team's match notes for tomorrow's game mentions that Candace Chapman has started participating to some extent in training sessions and is expected to be fully recovered by the time the season starts.

Also, Casey Berrier has joined the Spirit training camp after being cut by FCKC and should see time on the field tomorrow.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During today's media call head coach Mike Jorden said he expected Candace Chapman to be available for tomorrow's game.

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    did anyone see the living arrangements for some of the spirit players? free luxury 2bd/2bth apartments in a retirement community in exchange for socially integrating with the residents. also, residents take a bus to games.

:thumbsup:

sorry, this beats the hell out of host families. not all teams can afford the sahlen and fckc (they all live in an apartment complex, the whole team) housing setups.

kolabear repped this.
  8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an absolutely genius idea by the Spirit.

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Just those two players.

A few others have family in the area (not just the Maryland and Virginia folks -- at least one player is from elsewhere but has cousins who took her in). Others are with host families.

10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet from Steven Goff of the Washington Post: "Getting word @WashSpirit close to adding German attacker with national team experience in time for June 15 match at Md SoccerPlex"

holden, hasselhoff and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I wonder who it is. I don't see how it could be a player who's currently on the national team since the Euros are only a few weeks away. Maybe one of Krieger's Frankfurt teammates are following her over - Garefrekes? Don't think she's ever played outside of Germany, though.

12. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    They're also still planning to bring in a defender who has been playing in Europe.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dang.... Great for the team, but I'm really starting to wonder how NWSL in general is continuing to attract European talent with the draconian salary cap the league has. I guess good crowds and a competitive overall league must be a big draw....

14. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    With only three months left in the season, even a small salary could entice some players. They come over for the summer, get some competitive matches and make some money that they wouldn't sitting at home during their normal offseason. Once the season is done they can head back to Europe without missing too much.

15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good answer. The short American season helps. WNBA is a good comparison. Most of the top women's basketball players make far more money overseas but they also play in the WNBA. The short season allows that. Also, the WNBA is still the most prestigious league. To make the big bucks overseas usually depends on being a big star in the WNBA.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Also, it's not as if a ton of players in Europe are making great money.

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I read an article that stated USA players make as little as 20,000 in Europe, so I'm guessing Ella Masar and Becky Edwards fell in that range, can't believe Press made much more on her first contract in Sweden. She was just happy to have a job, based on some of her posts. I don't think everyone is getting Pinoe type money, and that seems to be more on her name than anything.

18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got an email from the Spirit identifying Toni Pressley as the mysterious European-based defender. She'll be joining the team next week.

19. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    One mystery solved, one to go. I remember her a little bit from the U-20s. Solid defender IIRC.

20. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Ok, now that the defender has been named can we start speculating as to who the German forward with "National Team experience" is? We know two very important things: 1) She's German 2) She can't be on the Euro Cup roster. Shouldn't these two facts narrow the potential pool quite a bit?

Also, who gets cut as a result of this signing? Pressley brings the roster count up to 20, so someone has got to go?

21. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kerstin Garefrekes? Martina Mulller? Hingst?

22. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Pohlers? Not sure Wolfsburg would release her even for the summer, though.

23. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    My money is on Pohlers. They desperately need an experienced forward. I think Lindsey, Matheson and Pohlers could make a great combination. Hope it happens ... soon!

24. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Pohlers makes sense. Hopefully, we can stop guessing soon.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It would be pretty cool if it were Birgit Prinz.
    Maybe she misses the game.