Washington Spirit fires coaches

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by StarCityFan, Jul 1, 2013.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington Spirit fires coaches

2. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    It was unfortunate they hired him in the first place. I don't doubt he is a very nice guy, but he put this team in a bind from the get go by drafting such young, unproven players and overlooking quality players when he had the chance. Letting go of Ingrid Wells was a major mistake also. Management is to blame for not recognizing how important the coach is as a piece of the puzzle of a new team. They've finally recognized that but I hope it is not too late. I'm also pessimistic about Parsons being able to turn things around. The youngsters need training and direction - can he provide that?

3. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I'm more than a little leery about Parsons. This was his first year at the helm of the W-league squad...

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's definitely an up-and-coming coach, and everyone I've talked with about him has praised him to the skies. I expected him to be a top-level coach in another five or ten years. This is well ahead of schedule. But I figure that there aren't a lot of options at this point in the year. If he doesn't work out, then they have plenty of time to find someone to take over for 2014.

5. ashorter

ashorter New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Maryland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    http://equalizersoccer.com/2013/07/...ign-fc-keep-winning-mike-jorden-fired-reacts/

Quoted from The Equalizer's lowdown article:
    The Washington Spirit were firm in their refusal to discuss Ashlyn Harris' comments following Friday's 4-0 loss in Rochester. Outgoing coach Mike Jorden though, shared a few thoughts when reached later in the day by The Equalizer

"Her comments were directed at the entire club, me included. What's said is I'm fairly sure three people lost their jobs because of it."

Sounds like Jorden thinks Ashlyn got him fired. I think the team's record and performance under him had much more to do with it than Ashlyn's post-game vent.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, her rant was a symptom, not the problem. (Though still inappropriate, I agree she should be fined at least a little bit.)

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't read anyone who thinks Jorden's accusations have merit. The team's 1-7-3, has lost five in a row, and has gone 456 minutes without scoring. There just might be other factors in play here than Harris's comments.

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have Harris's full comments? The Equalizer story of June 28 has one quote sentence and in the comments section, another quote of "A few of us can't lead this team."
    Thanks

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Videos of it here:

Part 1: http://telly.com/W849B1
    Part 2: http://telly.com/W8KD7P

10. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Harris could have been more tactful. Period. Harris' comments didn't cost Jorden his job although I think it might have expedited his dismissal.

11. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team is in serious need of a forward. Perhaps Natasha Kai can try and make a comeback on this team and turn it around. I don't think Harris was out of line, I think she is just really pissed off about the whole situation and needed to vent to someone.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    in fact, i think harris did the right thing. every body and her mother was probably saying the same thing in the locker room for weeks. nothing was changing. good for her for caring enuf to dare to say something publicly.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf
    3h
    ~24 hours after the Washington Spirit announced that Richie Burke resigned for health reasons, the club releases this statement that there is *now* an investigation, and Burke is suspended. They really want us to believe that they learned about all this yesterday.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He'll be president and not coach, which I think is the best move. He's not bad at identifying talent, but he obviously wasn't the best at managing that talent directly at games.

Olsen was supposed to be staying on within the DCU organization after leaving his role as head coach there (I believe something to do with the academy?) so it's interesting to see him leave DCU entirely for the Spirit. Notably, I think, DCU has not publicly reacted to the news on any of their social media channels yet.

Also, it sounds like this hire (which I do like by itself) was made without Spirit owner Kang being informed of it at all, and Talbott has been friends with Olsen for years. Baldwin is NOT helping his case as being a back-door, buddy-buddy kind of owner with this move.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Spirit Sh!tshow grows:
    Larry Best files anti-harrassment charge against co-owner Michele Kang

Larry Best, like Richie Burke, previously coached Steve Baldwin's daughter

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now, the Spirit v Thorns game in Portland has to be postponed because four of the Spirit group have tested positive for Covid. There has been a report that eight of their group are not vaccinated, no other details yet. This was expected to be the Thorns largest attendance so far this season.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For the record, the Athletic just published a fairly good interview with new club pres Ben Olsen. He certainly dodges a few questions about the internal politics of the current situation, but that's mostly expected, and I think he's about as transparent and pragmatic as he can be and seems to be bringing a good energy for someone landing in WoSo for the first time.
    https://theathletic.com/2811768/2021/09/07/ben-olsen-washington-spirit-nwsl/

19. DonnaB77905

DonnaB77905 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 23, 2021
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf

15h
    NWSL announces conclusion of investigation into Richie Burke and Washington Spirit: - Burk "cannot work with any NWSL players" and has been fired - "Spirit ownership has failed to act in the best interests of the league" and is banned from league governance for 14 days

toad455 repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    End maybe in sight: sounds like the Spirit are in preliminary talks to hire Ward permanently:

The good news is that he almost certainly has the players' approval. The bad news - aside from the fact that it apparently took these talks this long to begin - is that Ward has gone on record saying he's done a very hands-off, low-leadership approach to guiding a talented team with a chip on their collective shoulder through a two-month blitz to a championship. IDK how well he'll be able to lead a less-motivated team through an entire season.

fatbastard repped this.
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. msilverstein47