Washington Post interview with LA Galaxy Coach Bruce Arena

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bhoys, Mar 7, 2016.

1. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  2. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Bruce is an interesting interview. However from my recollection of the article he mentioned Virginia - so not completely forgetting about his time as a college coach.

3. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Actually, I don't think Arena himself mentioned UVA ... instead, in response to a question about Arena getting old and having been involved with soccer for a very long time, Arena responded with the following:

“That makes me feel like it’s time to get on the horse and ride into the sunset. I remember Ariel when he was a baby in D.C. Having said that, I also have [United Coach] Ben Olsen here this week. We have a long history [at Virginia, DCU and the national team]. There is no question I’ve been around the block.”

I believe that the words within the brackets indicated that these words were added by the Washington Post interviewer Steve Goff to provide the context of Arena's mention of Ben Olsen, thus not actually words said by Arena.

In any case, my larger point is Arena spoke a couple of times about the need to increase the talent pool and development of U.S. citizen soccer players, but in discussing these issues he made no specific mention of the role of college soccer in this regard.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually glad he didn't mention "college soccer" specifically.

He is exactly right about increasing talent pool and development. It starts MUCH MUCH earlier than college soccer provides. That isn't taking away from the role that college soccer serves in development, but it gets way too much blame than it actually deserves.

bhoys repped this.
  5. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Not to make too big a deal about something he didn't say ... but personally I think it might have been nice if he said something like nice about college soccer's role in development of players, and perhaps even say something like that college soccer should allow the players to train more and/or play more. Or even say college soccer doesn't help and never will help as it is, if that's what he thinks. But to me for him to not at all mention college soccer is disappointing ... just my view.

FLaves repped this.
  6. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    From the haters, it's college soccer fault that we bomb out at U17 level internationally

JoeSoccerFan, Sandon Mibut and bhoys repped this.
  7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you are saying, but he didn't even utter the words "develop" once. Nothing is found in the Q&A section of "college," "develop," "train," "practice," or anything like that.

Academy was really only mentioned once as a means of "acquiring players." The SuperDraft was only mentioned once, and in the same aspect of "acquiring players."

So, the interviewer should have done MORE to get Arena to talk about any of those aspects. While the interview may have included "American soccer" as a talking point, it was clearly an interview about MLS and LA Galaxy. It had virtually nothing to do with American soccer development -- on the field, schedule-wise, opportunities, etc.

8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I certainly agree that the interview could have been more specific in his questions about American soccer development.

But the interviewer (Steven Goff, who writes a lot more about MLS and relatively very little about college soccer) did ask the following:

Post Reporter: What is your sense of the national team as you look at it from a distance?

Arena: “I don’t think they’ve stepped forward a whole lot, nor have they stepped back a whole lot.”

Post Reporter: Is that a symptom of the talent pool or a lot of factors?

Arena: “A lot of factors, but our domestic league needs to have more Americans playing in it to make the pool stronger. We have a lot of international players now, players who aren’t helping the U.S. national team.”

Sounds to me that Arena was talking about the development of American talent in his responses above.

Given that he first made his name thanks to the college game, to me it would have been cool and good of him to throw something in there about college soccer and the role it plays or could play in making the "talent pool" "stronger." But again, perhaps he was being nice since perhaps he really doesn't think the college game has anything to do with making the "talent pool" of U.S. soccer players "stronger."

Anyhoo ...

9. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I was going by recollection. If that is what in the article then you are correct. However given that the focus is on MLS I'm not sure its a big deal that he didn't mention things he was involved with over two decades ago. He also didn't mention anything about his 8 years on the national team either.

ThePonchat repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You may not have noticed this, but Bruce Arena isn't exactly known for throwing things into interviews just to be nice. ;)

JoeSoccerFan, bhoys and ThePonchat repped this.
  11. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Bruce is the Gregg Popovich of the MLS. No tolerance for BS. Just go out, treat your players well and win games.

12. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #12 bhoys, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Good point ... and as I also said: "But again, perhaps he was being nice since perhaps he really doesn't think the college game has anything to do with making the 'talent pool' of U.S. soccer players 'stronger.'"

Nevertheless, overall I would have to admit that you are right, and that actually I have noticed that Arena doesn't seem to say too much just to be nice.

Indeed, in this 2015 interview Arena seemed instead to go out of his way to throw in some seemingly not too nice things about U.S. college soccer ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...15/02/03/a-few-good-minutes-with-bruce-arena/

So I guess I'm a conflicted, hopeless optimist. Thus, seemingly and willingly I was led on by the fact that in the 2016 interview Arena actually seemed to indicate that he DID actually care perhaps a tiny bit about the development of American soccer players.

In any case, the bottom line: me caring about and trying to make sense of American soccer, of American college soccer, and of what Bruce Arena says and thinks, has obviously made me crazy.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's not just you, if that's any consolation. :whistling:

bhoys repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    College soccer has few better advocates than Bruce Arena. Just because he didn't discuss it in one interview doesn't make that no longer so.

15. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I am talking mostly talking about Arena's ideas about the role of college soccer in the development of US players ... not just about "college soccer" in general. In that regard, I looked to find statements from Arena on college soccer and any role he tought it might play in US player development, and I didn't find much. And what little I did find seemingly suggested Arena doesn't think very much at all about the role college soccer plays in player development for soccer beyond college. For example, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, in the 2015 interview with the Wash. Post's Steven Goff after LA had played Georgetown, Arena to me seemed to be poking fun at college soccer and college soccer players.

And there is this from a 2012 interview, again by Goff with this quote from Arena:

“We’re inefficient in how we allocate resources in the academy. There’s a likely argument where you can say we have improved the ability to move kids to the age of 17 or 18. Where do they go from there? It’s a black hole. It’s insane. We should have a USL type of league [to develop players]. Right now, the kids would be better off going to college, and then we are back to the same thing again." (from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...e-house-visit/2012/05/14/gIQAKG40PU_blog.html )

And in this 2014 interview with SI, Arena has a lot to say about the development of US soccer players, and again he makes no mention at all of college soccer role in such development. (from: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...alaxy-mls-cup-landon-donovan-jurgen-klinsmann )

So to me it doesn't should like he has bascially anything positive to say about college soccer in terms of US player development and for these players being ready to play beyond college.

What am I missing?

16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is 100% right. Where do players go before/after college?

There are over 1500 4-year colleges that offer men's soccer. They have a whole [roughly] 60 "professional" soccer teams to play for in the US. Do we need to do a breakdown of numbers in players?

Heck, college is terrible right now because there's no legitimate ID system from there to go pro. Few scouts with MLS, NASL, and USL teams. Few scouts from abroad. There is a massive black hole with American soccer talent, development, and personnel. Arena is 100% right. We have tons of players with nowhere to go, and no one to see them.

17. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #17 bhoys, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    So that's Arena talking about the failure of college soccer --but Arena didn't suggest any solution or road to improvement relative to college soccer, but instead just talked about the academy system and approving USL for development. To me that seems to suggest he thinks college soccer pretty much is and should be out of the development picture entirely.

18. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    re my post above, intend to write "improving" USL for development, not "approving."

19. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    The black hole Arena was talking about was Homegrown players signed at 18 and then no development opportunities in terms of playing. MLS teams having USL teams now helps with that but Bruce also suggested they would be better off going to a year or two of college. Bruce is pretty supportive of college over signing 18 year olds and letting them sit on a bench someplace. I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    So Arena saying "kids would be better off going to college, and then we are back to the same thing again" ... is an endorsement of college soccer as a place to develop American players? To me "back to the same old thing again" wasn't an endorsement of the benefits of college soccer in terms of player development. Indeed, it sounds to me that Arena is seemingly suggesting that an improved USL or some other development league is the way he thinks it has to go, and forget college soccer in terms of real, significant player development.

Anyway, we seem to be going round in circles now. As I said before, I was trying to figure out Arena's thoughts because I haven't been able to find him actually saying in print much at all about what he thinks specifically about college soccer and related issues that might impact/improve player development via the college game, e.g., like cutting back on the number of substitutions allowed, making the season all year long, easing / removing many current restrictions on off-season / summer training, etc.

Enjoyed the discussion, and I've said my piece, so I'll leave it there.

21. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #21 bhoys, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Sandon - can you get Arena to join the discussion here and set the record straight?!

OverseasView repped this.
  22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to do that, you'll need to look at Q&A's specifically related to his thoughts on college soccer. Until then, it's much easier not to infer or assume what he does/doesn't think/believe in regards to college soccer.

If it doesn't exist, well, then someone isn't asking the questions or he isn't giving answers. Even if he did, it's not like things would change instantly.

23. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #23 bhoys, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Another recent article with remarks from Bruce Arena, including him talking about young player development, and the new stories I've seen once again include no mention of college soccer, e.g.,:

“Today’s the best time to be a young player in the United States,” he said. “Our [MLS] academy programs are growing, the visibility of our sport is growing, the resources to be a good player and learn in growing. You would like to believe, over time, we’re going to develop some great players.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-but-core-job-remains/?utm_term=.2d33ee7665db

24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    There is an outrage over in BigMarsupial.com in the kangaroo forum that Arena didn't mention Kangaroos. ;)

OverseasView repped this.
  25. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    But I understand Arena is looking at this guy for the national team's depleted goalkeeper ranks ...

OverseasView and JoeSoccerFan repped this.