Washington Freedom changes for 2011

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by StarCityFan, Dec 17, 2010.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Email from the team:

What I draw from this is that they're selling everything that says "Washington Freedom" to make room for stuff that says "Magic Jack FC". I'd attend but I'm not sure I could keep from getting sick.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just started a thread b/c I got the email, too. Do you think I could call the office & do a mail order thing? I'd be interested in a dirt cheap jersey and/or training shirt w/ the Freedom logo.

And yes. Sounds like someone is getting ready to re-brand.

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see the Freedom name go right down the toilet....

I can't believe the Hendricks' would keep the team alive for 10 years only to piss it all away now...

I'd have really liked to see them take the team back to W league or WPSL and try to return next year...

This team is going to end up in Florida full time and everybody knows it...Def not fair to the supporters in DC to string them along....

RIP Freedom!:eek:

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, at this point I'd really rather have a W-League Freedom FC than a WPS Magic Jack FC.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SCF, do you know which dept or staffer at the Freedom I should call to ask about buying a jersey for this sale?

6. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changes:

The overhaul of the Washington Freedom has commenced. The entire remaining staff under Interim President and General Manager Mark Washo was fired Wednesday as part of the many changes anticipated for the Freedom club, which will soon officially be renamed.

New owner Dan Borislow spoke of staff cuts among many other plans in an interview with The Equalizer earlier in the month and those came in full force Wednesday, when a complete house-cleaning took place. Borislow described the changes as "a procedural thing as the team is turning over to me." It is unclear how the employees will be replaced. The team is expected to announce some plans next week.

One of the rumored moves is Briana Scurry assuming the role of general manager. Scurry played for the Freedom in 2009 and 2010, battling injuries the entire time. Now 39-years-old, it seems Scurry will transition into a front office role. Borislow acknowledged that Scurry will be working for the team, but did not mention in what capacity.

http://equalizersoccer.com/WebPages/blog.aspx?postid=dd6cc44e-00a8-4b5b-99a9-ac5ec3612334

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    d@mn.

8. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the fire sale on Tuesday will double as a Meet the New Staff event...

clever Mr Borislow!

Maybe Bri will be running one of the registers???

You think they'll have MagicJacks available for purchase??

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seconded fully. Firing everyone is entirely classless. And it's outright stupidity to get rid of everyone with experience in running a team.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dare I ask where the 2003 WUSA trophy is?

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was a surprise about the new name, and so some extent the FO overhaul. I caught all that on a tweet, here: http://bit.ly/hTYIvx , so I'm not completely up on it, but I hope it all works. Not so sure a rebranding is necessary, but we'll see.

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree except there's hardly anyone left. Even counting Washo, there are only 7 employees still on staff.

13. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard John Hendricks had it. There are a bunch of trophies in the offices at the Soccerplex, but that's not one of them.

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever answers the phone. They're probably the only one left at this point.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the facebook page now says the sale on Tuesday is canceled. "Gear will still be available online or by coming to our offices." :rolleyes:

eta: and SCF, no one answered the phone. Or maybe I just couldn't make it through the dial x, y, or z maze properly.

16. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I'm speechless really about all of this. It will be very heartrending to see the Freedom brand go away...

17. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like what was originally announced as the Washington Freedom Fire Sale where everthing goes has changed to the Washington Freedom "Fired" Sale where everyone goes.

Reading between the lines, I'm wondering whether Bri Scurry will be helping shoppers at the register? All kidding aside, with re-branding on the horizon here, what becomes of the rest of the Freedom club structure and teams, headquartered at the 'Plex? Will they become Younger MagicTalk FC Futures, or retain the DC Freedom brand like Freedom Futures?

18. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My soul was slayed. I think I may pick up a Huffman jersey if the price is right. I'll use it like a bull fighter and hopefully Seger will charge.

Seriously what the hell is going on? It's scary because it seems like they're pretty much imploding everything that's been established over the last decade. I can't help but wonder will a pretty functioning modest building or a Tower of Babel be built in it's place.

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there are even going to be Freedom W-League and youth teams any more. The coaches (Win Puffer and Clyde Watson) are gone. Unless the Hendricks are going to keep them going, I think they're history.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good spot. Glad to hear I can get my money back if I decide I don't want to root for Magic Jack FC.

22. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Have they hired a coach yet? Have seen all the signings on the WPS website? Is Freedome signing anyone?

23. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to imagine Tram Borislow is negotiating with Santos to bring Marta and the Supremes to wherever they end up playing....

I'm sure that deal involves a Brazillian coach of Marta's choice...

Once those chips fall I'm sure it'll go quickly...

24. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    We have bumped into this franchise in the free agent market. They are definitely active. Clearly they are in various forms of transition from ownership right on down through the org chart. How or when they choose to make their moves public is their own business, but they're not sitting on the sidelines.

25. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It occurs to me that Borislow could make a lot of fans very happy by agreeing to help sponsor two teams:

Santos/Barcellos (or whoever)/Marta in Florida

Freedom/Scurry (!?)/Abby in Boyds

That would settle just about every issue I have with the situation.