Washington Capitals

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dan Kohner, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Let me say I’m a die hard Capitals fan! I have been watch and attending Capitals games since ‘96! Not to take anything away from the Capitals, but does anyone else get upset when you hear all the news stations state that the Capitals championship is the first in DC in 26 years. Come on, what about DC United and their four championships since ‘96. Has everyone forgoten about United. It just upsets me when I hear something like that! Does anyone else feel like that?

dadman, FLSoccerGran, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were talking this morning and I think my first-ever Caps game was in 1978 or 9. I never had season tickets (did have season tix for the Warthogs at Cap Center) but managed to end up at games almost every year - haven't been the last 2 or 3 years and they've gotten much better - so you're all welcome :)

Most of my immediate family are *spit* Penguins fans and they were thrilled to receive my texts last night :D

The NHL was hardly ever mentioned in the wake of "the big 3 sports leagues" and suddenly this year it's supposed to be "the big 4 sports leagues" that matter ..... meh - DC still hasn't won a championship since 2004 so it would still be a good story; no need to go all the way back to when the football team didn't completely suck to make it sound "better". And Caps fans have suffered a long time regardless of whether there are 3 leagues that matter or 7 :D.

dadman, Winoman, usadcu and 2 others repped this.
  3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Here's a scenario where I parse words. Sometimes they reference 'first professional title in 26 years,' which pisses me off. 'First major pro title?' Frankly, DCU is not major in this town. I think that designation is achievable (some MLS teams are 'major' in their towns. Toronto, Seattle, Portland and Atlanta probably qualify. RSL and SKC are close). But ownership and the front office are going to have to put in some hard work over the next few years in order to get there.

You're right that the NHL was definitely not a major sports league in the vast majority of the US in the late 70s. A handful of markets in the north east was it. I think the Caps in particular, when they moved to Gallery Place and got Ovetchkin, got two big boosts.

And I do think it is still kind of the big 3.5. While the other three leagues are 'major' sports products almost everywhere they play, the NHL is probably one in 2/3rds or so of its markets. (The Florida Panthers, for instance, are not a major sports team. Not unless Atlanta United is a 'majorer' one.) And while the other three are major products in many areas that don't even have a team, the NHL isn't.

Dizi, dadman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  4. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes and no... it has nothing to do with the accomplishment of other "pro" leagues.. what DC United, Mystics (never won a championship), are in the same league as NFL, MLB, and even NHL... which before Ovie in this town I would have said NASACAR was bigger..

But no, if anything I'll stick with the classic phrase. "A rising tide lifts all boats".

If anything now that the NHL (was I really watching hockey in June?!!) is done and now it's time to spread the love and affection to all other DC teams..

5. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it initially angered me, but then I thought: if DCU won the MLS cup this year, would all of my Facebook friends from DC be posting some stupid fair weather fan hashtag (now I kind of want to thing of one for DCU) to celebrate? Definitely not. DC United doesn't matter in DC, and it's not because soccer doesn't matter. Our FO finds a way to fail time and time again in one of the nation's most soccer-hungry markets (at least according to TV viewership).

Dizi, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  6. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It irks me a bit but the simple fact is that DC United barely creates a ripple among sports fans and sports media in DC.

I hope they can change that with the new stadium and by getting some wins. Other clubs in (what I see as) lesser markets are proving soccer can be a big time sport in this country.

I just don't know that Team Machete is up to the task. Hope I'm wrong.

P.S. - Congrats, Capitals! Great for the whole region.

dadman, Dan Kohner and Winoman repped this.
  7. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During 2004, I didn't live in DC nor did I know DC United existed.

What was the atmosphere in the city like then? While I'm sure people weren't flooding the streets celebrating there had to be some buzz in the city. Right?

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Congrats to Capitals fans. I remember the woeful expansion outfit. Kudos to anyone who has followed them from that time.

Winoman repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I got over this years ago. It serves nobody to live with some inferiority complex and complain that your sport or league is a big deal. Hockey fans do it. Soccer fans do it. There is a lot of money in sports. The NHL is still way ahead of MLS. They're both behind NFL, MLB and NBA by a lot. Locally, yes, I wish local media would give more time and attention to United (********, I wish they would cover all other teams better), but I see this more of a failing of United than anything else. United was getting better CSN ratings than the Caps 10 years ago, but United hasn't been relevant for much of the past 10 years.

Dizi, dadman, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    About a decade ago, before the San Francisco Giants and Golden State Warriors won their recent titles, a San Jose Mercury News sports columnists wrote a piece about a recent drought in Bay Area professional championships, failing to mention the pair won by the Quakes in 2001 and 2003. I emailed him to complain about the omission, which had it been mentioned would have undercut his narrative. He retorted that an MLS Cup title was the equivalent of a girls high school basketball championship. That's the level condescension that existed, and likely still exists for MLS among sports writers.

And that is what it was like for the Capitals in DC when they came into the league in 1974.

dadman, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If DCU received the press and broadcast coverage it deserved for the past several seasons it would look like a cross between that "Shame Scene" from Game of Thrones and a stoning of some harlots from one of those old sword and sandal movies.
    Careful what you ask for, the last thing needed right now is an investigative report on Why does once powerhouse DC United suck so bad now? Be happy that we don't have real soccer reporters like the rest of the world who criticize every bad touch. If the citizens knew how much money the city wasted on this suckiness they'd burn the council at the stake.

Dizi repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would help is if the opening game of brand-new Audi Stadium attracts some WaPo sportswriters other than reliable Steve Goff. At least 3 or 4 write regularly on the Skins, Wizards, and Caps, but Steve is the only one on the MLS beat. It would do wonders for our area recognition if some, say, pointy ball writers came to the inaugural and were impressed, not only with the stadium but with the game and their home town team.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Reading this post made me think of a tweet I saw

Dizi, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    You know what they call a kid who is cut on the first day of tryouts for every sport and the AV Club?
    Sportswriter

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It lasted almost three days 1 before, the day they won, and one day after.
    The beer barf in lot 8 was a bit deeper than usual after we won MLS cup 2 at home but it was really rainy so who knows?

Dizi repped this.
  16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nobody is to blame for the "slight," but DC United themselves. They have allowed a once proud organization to quietly slip into the background. Like letting a beautifully manicured lawn overgrow with weeds over time.

song219, Dizi, Theopisa and 4 others repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny we called him Chuck................................

NicktheGreek repped this.
  18. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Some things to consider. There are 10 cities with an MLS team and teams in all of the 'big 4' sports. 7 of those ten mls teams were in the bottom 11 of attendance in 2017. NYC and LA not surprisingly were top 10 but Minnesota was the only other one on the top 10 of attendance.

Atlanta deserves a mention. They have 3 of 4 and were top in attendance despite not having a long soccer tradition, like Portland/Seattle.

Aside from having an uphil battle to attract non-soccer nuts, it doesn't attract a lot of hardcore fans who favor watching the Mexican or Euro leagues. I don't think DCU will ever be considered on the same scale as the other 4 especially now that the Caps have taken the city by storm.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe when the President is an MLS die-hard, District denizens will fall into line.

Bill Clinton was the first President to even attend a Caps game, as I recall nearly a quarter century into their existence.

Think maybe there would be some media if Trump dropped by the new stadium? All MLS has to do to win his allegiance is promise that the league champs will actually stand for the anthem and visit the White House. :)

20. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C. congrats on your first major sports championship since the 2004 DC United Major League Soccer championship! Enjoy the ride

Winoman repped this.
  21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2004 is so long ago and we've sucked for so long we don't even belong in the discussion. At least the caps choke deep into the playoffs and have best of 7 series to get through.

james

Dizi repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I take it you weren't on the Caps bandwagon back in the 70s? You aren't going to out-sad-sack the Washington Capitals. :)

fatbastard repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't alive but did spend my HS years listening to Caps games on the radio and was there at the for game 7 against Philthy in '88 as a 9 year old.

james

Winoman repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Figured you didn't have firsthand experience how bad the Caps were in their formative years. Nothing in MLS history can really compare. Kudos for following the team for as long as you have.

dadman repped this.
  25. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make some interesting points but "will ever" is a long time.