Was Ken Robinson right? Does "education" murder creativity?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Mel Brennan, Jun 2, 2007.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't believe that's true at all. Certainly wasn't in my personal experience.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Googlia I've found subsequent to my post above consisted in the main of English departments trying to brand their majors, so I'm not sure where I got that from.

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    What I find interesting here is that originally television (well, film) was created to stimulate thought and increase the creative process of the individual. It is only as time has passed on (and as Robinson argues, has become more geared towards the academic as the world becomes more industrialised) that the artistic medium has become less creative and far more linear/homogenous in the thought-process it stimulates. This in turn has now brought us to the point where the vast majority of what you see is not artistic nor creative, but more of a 'right and wrong, left and right, open and closed' mode of communication, which is also fairly in keeping with Robinson's argument against the current leanings of the educational system towards the academic. Just my $0.02.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I suspect that's the case - generally philosophy students are reputed to do quite well in law school, though I doubt they actually make better lawyers on average, since law school is generally quite divorced from the actual practice of law.