Was Barcelona's 2012/13 season a success?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Obito Uchiha, Jun 23, 2013.

?

Rate Barcelona's 2012/13 season

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. 1 - complete failure

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 2 - bad

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. 3 - decent

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. 4 - great

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. 5 - perfect

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Obito Uchiha

Obito Uchiha Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Give Barcelona's 2012/13 season a rating from 1 to 5. 1 being total failure, 5 being amazing. I'll go with 3. It was a decent season, but a very disappointing one. They got 100 points in La Liga, but did terribly in big games (aside from a couple).

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They lost at home in the Semifinal second legs of the Champions League and Copa del Rey by a combined score of 6-1 (3-1 to Real Madrid and 3-0 to Bayern Munich). I would give them a 2 or 3.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree between 2 or 3

If we look at their squad team, and last few great seasons then 2
    If we just look at their stats (win, points, goals) then 3

4. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Out of curiosity, what score will you give to a team like Madrid?

Hendrixforpope repped this.
  5. Obito Uchiha

Obito Uchiha Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd personally give them a 2.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    A bit silly to give Barca anything lower than a 3. I think most of you are guilty of just looking at the final couple of months of the season and not the full season.

Not too many people would have expected Barca to win both La Liga and CL before the season started. So at worse, they reached expectations by winning 1 out of 2. That means at least 3, no? Maybe 3.5 if you factor-in point total and Messi's injury.

Not sure why goal difference is being brought up. Would losing to Milan by 1 goal two rounds earlier in the CL have been worth a 3 or 4 then? :confused: Why not point to the margin in which they won La Liga before judging their entire season on goal difference?

7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    3.5. It was a good season. Any time you win a top 4 European league title by a wide margin and with a record (tying) points haul, you've had a good season.

BocaFan repped this.
  8. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    copa del ray is meaningless
    but they won la liga, and semifinals of CL. Thats the 2nd best score imo after bayern in europe.no other team did further.

4 is about right. perfect no, that goes for bayern munchen only

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Madrid won three Champions League knockout round games including one at Manchester United compared to one Champions League knockout round win for Barcelona. Unfortunately for them, Real Madrid lost the Copa del Rey final so they didn't win the league, cup, or Champions League.

You have a point, but, but if you told the Barcelona players that if they reached the Semifinals they were going to lose the aggregate 7-0 I think some of them might have rather lost a closer aggregate to Milan or Paris Saint-Germain. You're right about the La Liga margin as I checked and every club outside of the top three (17 clubs, compared to 13 in the EPL) had a goal differential closer to the worst goal differential than to the best goal differential.

I admit I don't watch soccer from UEFA other than the EPL, Champions League, and Europa League. The last time I watched a whole Real Madrid game was their first leg hosting Manchester United (as a Manchester United fan I stopped watching once Real Madrid took the lead in the second leg). I'm guessing the last time I watched a whole Barcelona game was the 2010-2011 final against Manchester United.

10. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    I already know all that. My question was : what score will you give Madrid since you gave Barca a score of 2 or 3 (seems you're leaning more towards 2 than 3)???

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :confused:
    Completely irrelevant how you got to the semis. A loss in one leg and a win in another leg is no better than 2 draws if the aggregate score leads to the same end result.

Besides Madrid's wins are largely down to easier opponents in the quarters and semis.

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Other than Bayern Munich, what other European club had a more impressive season than Barca?

13. Obito Uchiha

Obito Uchiha Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Considering the players they have, I was very disappointed with Barca's performances in big games. Especially that Bayern game. I think 3 is about right.

14. Assault

Assault New Member

May 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Wining the league is the hardest competition to win and Barcelona won it by a landslide equaling the highest point total in the league history; that can only be considered a major success. In addition to that they reached the semi finals of the Champions league and the Copa del rey .

I disagree and am not surprised with the inflated expectations and high standards. But times have changed Barca as a squad is aging and their style of football is more linear and predictive; managers have figured out the way Barca play and can now use their team to better respond better.

Even in relative terms comparing it to the clubs history we can pick out few years that trump 2012-12 season 05-06 91-92 08-09 and 10-11. Those years are all considered golden and they tend to occur rarely, once or twice within a golden age.

15. Obito Uchiha

Obito Uchiha Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    None, at least when it comes to trophies. Which is why it feels so weird to me to give Barca a pretty low score. But I think that with the players they have, they should have done a LOT better in the big games. They didn't just not win a single big game aside from the 3-2 against RM and the 4-0 against Milan, they got dominated, and, in a lot of cases, humiliated in every other big game. And barely created chances.