Alert: Warning for people with TiVo

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 29, 2016.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    TiVo has changed their guide provider and problems' with metadata are currently screwing up all my season passes.

Until they fix it.. you may want to schedule recordings manually

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Tivo? What is this 2001? :p

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows. With cord-cutting being more commonplace, it may become fashionable again.

4. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TiVo boxes are generally more responsive and have a better UI than the ones provided by cable companies. And it saves you from paying mutiple outlet/multiple receiver fees so usually pays for itself within a couple of years. I have directv exclusively now (used to have both Comcast and DTV). If my TiVo boxes were compatible with directv, I'd switch them in a second.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As a Dish customer I have the best technology you can get so I can see why Direct TV subscribers would want Tivo I suppose. :p
    ;)

6. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, while the Hopper receivers that Dish has are way better than what DirecTV offers, Dish was way late to the party vis-a-vis Bein Sports Spanish HD, ESPN Deportes HD, Fox Deportes HD, Fox Sports 2 HD, and the Premier League Extra time channels, which were added just a few months ago (are they even HD yet?), etc. At this point, I had already signed up with DTV and then did a new contract. As far as I know, Dish still doesn't offer FS Plus in HD or NBC Universo in HD, and they don't have GolTV or TyC Sports (both SD on DirecTV). Is Direct Kick HD on Dish? So even though the receiver tech is better on Dish, and Dish has (finally) filled some of the gaps in its HD offerings, I'd still have to go with DirecTV's better programming options. Obviously, if Dish fills the missing gaps, I'd reconsider when my contract expires due to the better receiver technology (unless DTV catches up there). Non-footballwise some of the stuff that my wife and kids watch are HD on DTV but not on Dish as well.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True, the Channel selection for Soccer and the majority of sports is superior on Direct TV. So for someone like you and others around here who need all those channels I can see why you cling to DTV.
    But when it comes to Technology and the things I watch (I am also a College Football fanatic)
    Dish just can't be beat.

8. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Dish licenses most of TiVo's patents, so that's why they're so good ;)

9. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Update from Tivo:

That is something we are investigating currently. We hope to have that resolved soon, but there are no official ETA timelines for the issue at hand yet. Thankfully any update will be sent to your TiVo box automatically as this is resolved.