War on Christmas (now featuring multiple holidays!)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by guignol, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do yourself a favor and read this story:
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jewish-family-leaves-lancaster-county-fox-breitbart

It's outrageous that this is the environment we now live in.

The play was cancelled because it cut into instructional time too much.

The Jewish family had only requested that their son (rightly!) be excused from the production.

soccernutter and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's usually the mooslems that have to put up with crap over here...

http://www.inquisitr.com/3648019/fa...hristmas-lights-to-appease-muslim-immigrants/

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

What? He is probably the student best suited to play Jesus.

rslfanboy repped this.
  4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Blonde and blue-eyed?:eek:

:p

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why rightly? Seems pretty silly for them pull their son from the production. Is not like they're asking him to attend mass, is a Dickens' classic. Of course they have the right to do so, just seems silly.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't believe you're thinking about this from the perspective of a Jew.

Q*bert Jones III and Funkfoot repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh. My bad. I missed the detail that it was a Christmas Carol, and assumed it was a nativity play.

Nope, not much for Jews to do in that one. And the parents would never let their kid play Fagin if they put on Oliver Twist

9. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I suppose Henry Winkler wasn't either when he played the Scrooge character in the American adaptation of that classic.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think Ebenezer Scrooge is Jewish.

11. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But the Fonz is. Anyway, I don't believe that there are any Jewish characters in that story.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Either way, I completely understand the need for Jewish parents to resist the normalization and "Americanization" of Christmas. I know that's how it was for me growing up. Christmas is this dominant cultural force. It seems like everyone does it and is part of it. And part of being Jewish is that you don't. You need to affirm that and defend that, and sometimes that means pulling back from or refraining from things that the goyim might see as innocuous. I understand the need for Jewish parents to sometimes have really clear lines. We're Jewish, so we don't participate. This might seem innocent to you, but it's not innocent to us. It's a defense by a minority against a dominating (religious) culture.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I actually make it a point to say something like "happy holidays" to pretty much anyone that I don't see at mass. I literally will not say "merry Christmas" to anyone unless I know the attend church more than once or twice a year.

Also, to honor Jesus' Jewishness, we often go out for Chinese on December 25th, though now that I think about it given Hannukah's timing this year....

usscouse and Knave repped this.
  14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I never get Chinese on Christmas. I'm just not that observant a Jew ...

crazypete13, song219, InTheSun and 3 others repped this.
  15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, more on this story out of Pennsylvania. It's a follow-up worth reading.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/what-s-the-story

Though the family did not "flee" the area exactly, the harassment was real, their fear was real, and the parents really did pull their child out of school because of it. It's just that their leaving the area was a pre-planned vacation.

I'm concerned that the ADL did a disservice in their press release by clarifying the fleeing business without confirming and underlining the very real harassment.

16. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I just have to say, my Jewish friends and colleagues are very gracious. From a few minutes ago via text: "... Merry XMAS and Happy New Year. thanks for all of your help this year." I get the same from almost all.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This is some 1950s red scare tactics against those "litigious Commie Jews" Same with them supposedly "forcing" towns to take down creches during the holidays.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Boy, this might piss them and ff at The 700 Club....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/o...-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0

No, not this part...
    Billions of Christians around the world are excited to celebrate Christmas this weekend. Those in the world’s second-largest religious community, Muslims, don’t share quite the same excitement. In a few Muslim-majority countries, like Saudi Arabia, Brunei and Somalia, Christmas celebrations are banned. In Turkey, my country, they are not illegal, but some Islamist groups still organize annual protests against Christmas trees and Santa Claus costumes, which they consider Western impositions.​

... they're like, well, duh. Now, this part...

Meanwhilem mnay other Muslims around the world are rightly respectful to their Christian neighbors and even share in their holy day. They include the owners of a Turkish restaurant in London that decided to offer a free Christmas meal to the homeless and the elderly, and a Muslim businessman in Baghdad who erected a Christmas tree in solidarity with Christians persecuted by the self-declared Islamic State.

These Christmas-friendly Muslims are right, but not simply because respect for other religions is a virtue. They are also right because Christmas is the celebration of the miraculous birth of Jesus, which is a powerful theme not just in the New Testament, but also in the Quran.

Two chapters of the Muslim holy book give detailed accounts of the birth of Jesus, which partly resemble the account in the Gospel of Luke....​

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Fuckin religion.

It's ruined Xmas.

20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    That's why I love Festivus....especially the part where I'm telling all of my loved ones how miserably they've failed and disappointed me the past year. I'm kinda old so my feats of strength aren't what they used to be! :coffee:

Ps....the old gray marepony ain't what she used to be neither! :(

Naughtius Maximus and dapip repped this.
  21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well maybe not totally.

Ismitje, roby, Dr. Wankler and 1 other person repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or gave us Christmas...

[​IMG]

But which religion?

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna see if I can convince the 3 Catholics I'm staying with to do the same. :D

Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Id like to wish all our Northern Hemisphere friends a happy return of the Sun. Once again, the Druids have correctly prophesied that we are not all going to freeze to death.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "Jewish roots of Jesus" angle is effective. We first heard it a few years ago when Nuns at my wife's college invited us to join them on those grounds.