Wandering Thread: Opinions backed by reall hard facts 2006/07 Edition

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by marakana10, Aug 11, 2006.

1. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Development of Groups: Group E

[​IMG]
    Restoring the pride of Romanian football, and Eastern European football in general. Could they pull off another "miracle?"

1. Olympique Lyonnais
    2. Real Madrid CF
    3. Steaua Bucuresti
    4. Dynamo Kyiv

Conclusion: Can this group spring a suprise? Well it's tough considering there are two Western European giants, and two Eastern European giants. If it were 20 years ago then this group could be decided either way, but Eastern football is still off of what it used to be. It is definetely improving as CSKA Moscow, Dynamo Kyiv, Steaua Bucuresti, Shakhtar Dontesk, and Rapid Bucuresti have proved in these past 2 seasons.

There is also a great Meditteranean influence this year in the CL so this is a sign of things to come. As for this group well it's going to be tough for the Romanian and Ukrainian champions to come away with anything. Olympique Lyonnais is probably a top 4 team in Europe currently considering the form they've been in. They took apart Real Madrid at home and look like this might be their year. With Fred and Juninho, Lyon look, I dare to say, unstoppable until the final 8 in my opinion.

I mean the goal Fred scored against Real speaks volumes, the daft chip over Casillas. Not many can say they've made arguably the best goalkeeper in the world look like a fool, and certainly not on several occasions as some people will remember last year. This looks like a carbon copy from last season when Lyon also went to the Bernabeu and beat the Marangues.

To be fair to the Spanish outfit they were out of sorts last season, and Fabio Capello has certainly come to rebuild the team. Eventually this will happend, and Real will come back to their roots, but this is a question of time. Will it happen sooner than later? I prefer not to think so and I see Lyon drawing Madrid away. Fabio Canavarro, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Mahamadou Diarra, Emerson, and Jose Antonio Reyes have all been great additions to the squad but it will be interesting to see if they're fit in time for the Lyon challenge.

As for the other 2, Dynamo and Steaua well it's hard to say but I believe they're battling for the Uefa Cup spot. In truth I see Steaua winning third place due to their sheer quality and away win to Dynamo on Gameday 1 when they destroyed the Ukrainian outfit 4-1. The team that hails from Bucurest could suprise a few people and Madrid especially. I firmly believe that if any suprise could develop in this group then it is Steaua going into the final 16 and relegating Madrid to the Uefa Cup.

This might sound prepestorous but keep in mind that Romania is a tough place to go play, any eastern european country for that matter, and with the kind of confidence they have it just could happen. Let Madrid slip up to Dynamo away and to Lyon at home and suddenly we have a race on our hands. Considering Steaua beats Dynamo at home that would leave them on 6 points and that is a fairly good amount.

Therefore the winner of the group has already emerged in Lyon, with second place surely for Real Madrid to lose, but Steaua with a glimmer of hope for third spot. As for Dynamo, well they're rebuilding in my opinion as they've gotten a lot of transfers in so far. If Steaua can organize itself when they play Madrid and they have the disclipine not to concede then anything could happen.

Just speculation, though.

2. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    The Group Deciders:

Group A: 05.12.2006, Camp Nou, Barcelona

Werder Bremen vs FC Barcelona

[​IMG]

A lot rests on his shoulders.

This is the game I've been waiting for for some time. The truth is I've been an admirer of Bremen since their infamous win over Bayern Munchen in the Olympistadion a couple of years ago. That day Ailton, and Klasnic were the forces that sprung Werder to the pinnacle of German football. Three years later Werder is still there, and along with Bayern have dominated German football in the last 3 seasons. Bayern has won successive titles but they've been pushed by Werder all these years, and this season is proving to be a tough one. One third of the season gone and Werder find themselves again in the title fight lying only second to a resurgent Schalke 04.

The departure of Johann Micoud necessitated a move for the Brazillian magician known as Diego, and this has proved divedends, as his form has been miracoulous. His performence against Bayern in Bremen, as they won 3-1 was sublime. We saw a kid becoming a man. Joined by Klose, Hunt, and Klasnic in attack this team has weapons up top. Add Torsten Frings, who's in blistering form to the mix and you have arguably one of the best midfields if not the best in Germany. In the back you have Per Mertasaker, the German international who brought Bremen victory against Chelsea, alongside Owomoyela and Baumann and the side is looking complete. Tim Wiese has also been in great form in goal having some great saves in goal and the race for second in this group is getting interesting indeed.

Chelsea have clinched their birth in the final 16, but Barcelona have it all to do. This game will decide who goes through, and only a win for the Catalan giants will see them given an opportunity to defend their title as Champions. They will be going against the odds as an injury crisis has hit them up front with Leonel Messi, Samuel Eto'o, and Javier Saviola all out for an indefinite period. This leaves the attacking burdens on the shoulders of Ludovic Giuly, Ronaldinho, and Eidur Gudjohnsen, a task which I have full belief in.

In my eyes Giuly has been disregarded by many in Barcelona since the arrival of Messi onto the scene. One must not forget that only 3 season ago he led AS Monaco to the final of the Champions League. His blistering speed also scored Barca the much needed goal at the San Siro last season when they played AC Milan in the semifinal of the ECC. He has been clinical, and he will get to show what he can do once again. He just needs his chance, and I doubt that he'll fail. Ronaldinho has been criticized for his lack of form, but he is slowly coming back as the game against Real Zaragoza proved alongside his assists in the win over RCD Mallorca. Gudjohnsen has also been under fire for his "unclinicality" that Eto'o has proved for so long but I think most people have been unfair to the Icelandic international. He did miss several chances against Real Madrid, Barca's most fierceome rival but he also has scored several times this season when Barcelona have needed wins. He has been in good form as of late, but as usual Eto'o has been missed. Gudjohnsen does not have the pace of Eto'o to open up defenses and that is what has been missed by Barca most dearly.

But as usual I will argue the case that the game will be won in midfield. With Deco, Xavi, Iniesta, and Edmilson all finally injury free Barcelona look to be on their way up again. Deco is the central man and if he can draw Mertasaker away from Gudjohnsen then that will open up space for Ronaldinho as well as Giuly in the center of defence. In my eyes Diego is the key man here for Werder. On the other side of the coin Diego and Frings will need to work some Brazillian-German magic to get past Puyol or to get the ball to Klose.

In all honesty Barcelona should come out the winners, because they're playing at home and they'll have the home crowd behind them, but I fancy the German side, and I believe the enthusiasm of Frings, Diego, Klose, and Mertasaker will win out. Tomas Schaff knows his system, and I believe he will devise some scheme which will see Werder reach the final 16.

Frank Rijkaard on the other side will find himself knowing that he has to win, so he will push forward. Never count out Barca as Ronnie is always there, and the sheer class of Barcelona's midfield cannot be denied.

In all honesty I don't know who will win this game, but my gut says Barcelona, although my heart says Werder. They've never reached the final 16 and I firmly believe this is their year.

Final Result: Werder Bremen 1-1 Barcelona

Klose scoring first, Ronaldinho scoring late in the second.

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Another good preview of the upcoming Barca - Bremen match.:)

Are you going to do a similar breakdown of the next round matches after they have been drawn?

4. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I'm planning to write final 16 previews of course.

5. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    The Group Deciders:

Group B: 05.12.2006, Allianz Arena, Munchen

Bayern Munchen vs FC Internazionale Milano

[​IMG]

Is this image a possiblity at the end of May?

This match doesn't mean much in the eyes of who progresses, but it holds a serious inclination of which team truly is in form. As of late Inter Milan or rather the Nerazurri have picked it up, setting a blistering run of form in the Serie A as well as the Champions League.

One must not forget that only two months ago there was talk of Mancini leaving for England due to Inter's poor form. Sven Goran Eriksson was named as a possible replacement, and to further damage his hopes Mancini's Nerazurri lost the first two games in the group stage, making it really difficult for them to progress. An away loss to Sporting Lisbon, and a home defeat to Bayern Munich left Inter pointless, even behind Spartak Moscow who had already garnished a point. Things were looking grim.

But here we are two months later, Mancini's Inter winning three straight in the Champions League, and not having suffered a loss in the Serie A. They have gone on to defeat Sporting Lisbon at home, and Spartak Moscow both home and away. The key man to this resurgence has suprisingly been Julio Cruz, the fourth choice striker behind Adriano, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and Hernan Crespo. Although it must be noted that Adriano's lack of fitness and his fatigue has played a role in the increase in playing time for Cruz. But he has put it to good use, as he has scored six goals in eight games this year, two of those coming as crucial winners in the Champions League. Another player who's been in fine form for Inter has been Dejan Stankovic, the Serbian international who has shown why Inter have held him in their starting 11 over the past two and a half seasons.

Adriano has recently come back, and in their 2-1 win over Palermo on the weekend did decently. I would look for Mancini to give him a run out in this game, but perhaps not a starting spot. Look for Ibrahimovic, and either Cruz or Crespo to start up front. In midfield Olivier Dacourt is injured, but Patrick Vieira, Dejan Stankovic, Figo, and Esteban Cambiasso are more than up for the challenge of creating chances. In the back are Fabio Grosso, Marco Materazzi, Javier Zanetti, and Ivan Cordoba. One must not forget that Walter Samuel, Maicon, Maxwell, and Nicolas Burdisso are waiting in the wings as well. Coupled with their extraordinary form, nine successive wins, Inter will be hard to break down.

On the other side are Bayern Munchen. The German giants have suffered this season, as they find themselves only third in the league standings, a low for Bayern's standards. Of course this blip has been encountered to the imminent departure of Micheal Ballack to Chelsea over the summer as well as Owen Hargreaves injuring himself early on in the season. Bayern were missing that central figure, even though Andreas Ottl has been a revelation so far this season. That central figure was found in Barcelona's unwanted Mark Van Bommel. The Dutchman was left without a purpose as Barcelona's stack of defensive midfielders was larger than that of Mount Everest.

Often forced into playing a position which he did not like at FCB, he found a home in Bayern. Only two seasons ago he led PSV Eidnhoven to the Champions League Semi-Final and were it not for some AC Milan magic PSV should've gone to the final. Most agreed PSV outplayed Milan over two legs. We're seeing a resurgence of the "old" Bommel, as his preferred position of defensive central midfield with occasional bursts has been merited.

Coupled with Ottl, Schweinsteiger, and Deisler this midfield is solid. Defensively they know their game, and Magath's system of 4-3-3 has sometimes fooled opponents. But it has its weaknesses as Bremen illustrated in their 3-1 over Bayern, therefore it will be interesting to see the tactics Magath uses. I see a four man midfield with the players mentioned. Up front is the Iron Dutchman Roy Makaay, and a man who has voiced his demands over a pay increase Claudio Pizarro. Pizarro has been in fairly good form, possibly some of the best in his career, as he is only one goal behind Didier Drogba and Kaka for the top scoring spot in the Uefa Champions League.

Defensively Bayern have a terrific back line, with Sagnol on the right, and Lahm on the left. These two attacking minded fullbacks provide the width Bayern need when holding possession, and Lahm's link up play with Schweinsteiger (overlapping runs) will be essential if Bayern are to have a chance of going on a serious run in the knockout rounds. In the center of defense is Belgian Daniel Van Buyten, who is in his prime alongside a trio of other central backs, a list which primarily includes Lucio, Martin Demichelis, and Valerian Isamel. In goal is the always reliable Oliver Kahn, and Micheal Rensing as his back-up/prodigy.

Lastly one also must not forget that a key figure for Bayern that is missing is Lukas Podolski. They surely could use his pace to open up defenses, but for now will have to do with Makaay, Pizarro, and Santa Cruz.

Bayern just came off a 2-1 win away from home versus Hamburg, while Inter beat their main rival for the title away from home in Palermo. This is clearly an indication that these two teams are just about to hit their stride, if they haven't already.

I see a draw with Inter going up through Hernan Crespo, but Bayern coming back with the Munchen faithful cheering them on. Overall this match has little implications, but we seriously could see a great feast of football, and this match could result in us seeing which team has a greater claim going into the final 16.

Prediction: Bayern Munchen 1-1 Internazionale Milano

Hernan Crespo scores first, with Makaay in the second half.

6. villareal8

villareal8 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Spanish clubs always suffer big time with German teams, they are really tricky and dangerous, their style of play suits them excellent against Spanish clubs, Perhaps Barcelona are the exception of the rule, but for some reason in the begining of the tournament I was more afraid of Werder than Chelsea! F...ck!

7. arvin sloane

arvin sloane Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Great work marakana10, nice summary.

8. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    The Final Sixteen

Manchester United vs Lille OSC

Real Madrid CF vs Bayern Munchen

Arsenal FC vs PSV Eidnhoven

Chelsea FC vs FC Porto

FC Barcelona vs Liverpool FC

AC Milan vs Celtic

Internazionale Milano vs Valencia CF​

Match previews come December 22nd.

9. arvin sloane

arvin sloane Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Marakana10 today is December 23nd ;)

10. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    And then there were Sixteen

[​IMG]

Will this be the same outcome?​

Match: Real Madrid CF vs Bayern München

Preview: At the beginning of the season these two teams were to be looked at quite differently. On one side is the perennial German powerhouse, Bayern, and on the other is the winningest team in European competitions in football history. To be honest it is quite difficult to predict this match up unlike some of the other ones. Besides being the two most prestigious teams in the tournament besides AC Milan, these two teams find themselves at the same stage or period of transition. One is in the latter stages of that development while the other one has just begun.

At the start of the season Real Madrid were in tatters. No coach, no solid back line, and no new president. The Galacticos had obviously failed as there has been no silverware at the Bernabeu for three seasons, a mighty long time for the White of Madrid. Then, out of the Italian scandal comes Fabio Capello bringing with him possibly the two most experienced players in the Serie A, Fabio Canavarro, and Emerson. These two signings helped Madrid stabilize themselves. The essential problem with the former Galacticos was that there was no one to truly lead the defensive line. There was no center rock who was going to stand up to any pressure from the opponent be it Ronaldinho, or to his own teammate. This rock is Canavarro, and the midfield general which Madrid lacked came in Emerson. Madrid tried with both Garcia and Gravesen but both failed, one more than the other.

Then Mahamadou Diarra from Olympique Lyonnais came into the picture and the center of the park seemed fixed. Capello then moved into the wings. In a last day transfer move he got Jose Antonio Reyes from Arsenal, but so far it has been Robinho stealing the limelight on the left hand side. On the right Beckham's fallout with Capello took the football world by storm, but the last couple of weeks he has been starting, therefore it remains to be seen if he'll stay. Up top the addition of Ruud Van Nistelrooy has been nothing short of miracolous. The Dutchman has showed why he is the best poacher in the world of football with 13 goals so far this season, with only Raul coming anywhere near at 6. He is the main man for Capello, and I see him being the difference maker in the matchup if Madrid are to go through.

On the other side are Bayern Munchen. They've had a mixed season by their standards. Third in the Bundesliga is not good enough, and the recent cup knockout by newly promoted side Alemannia Achen hasn't done any good for Magath. Therefore if Felix wants to remain the head coach he must see that he at least has to win the title, which is going to prove difficult as Werder Bremen are on top of their game. As I mentioned earlier in my preview of Bayern as a whole, this team was going through a restructuring due to Ballack's imminent departure. This gaping hole in midfield has given some bright chances to products of Bayern's youth academy, which in my opinion is one of the finest if not the best in the world at the moment. The latest emergence is Andreas Ottl. He has definetely been a bright light in a dismal season for the Munchen giants. Although, Bayern have been smooth sailing on the European front with 4 wins and 2 draws in their first 6 games.

In my eyes the difference for Bayern will be down to two players. One is Daniel Van Buyten. If he can keep Van Nistelrooy at bay then Bayern have every chance of progression. The key trio although must be seen in Lahm, Schweinstheiger, and Podolski. Those three players alongside Ottl are the future of German football. This is their time to shine, and this is what they've been waiting for. Everybody dreams of stepping in as a product of a club's academy into a European fixture, like Owen Hargreaves did for Steffan Effenberg that night against Real Madrid in 2001 when he shut down Zizou.

Madrid find themselves at a different point in the road as do Bayern. They've changed their whole structure, and the addition of new players has given them new life, but in my opinion they will be ready to challenge next season. Even though they've beaten their main competitors FC Barcelona at home, the consistency is just not there, as was evident against RC Recreativo at home when they lost 3-0. This might give them some hope in Europe as inconsistent teams in the domestic leagues the past couple of seasons have gone far into the realms of the ECC.

Magath must realize that this might be his chance to showcase the best of what German football has to offer at the current moment. With the blend of experience seen in Makaay, Sagnol, Van Buyten, Hargreaves, Kahn and youth seen in Podolski, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Ottl, and Lell Bayern cannot rest. They must take the game to the Spanish giants, and quickly establish themselves as the dominant force, because you cannot let Real play their game. They'll punish you, and with some force, and this why Magath also must be careful of the classic Italian coutner that Capello has implemented in the heads of the Marangues, as was evident in the second goal vs Barcelona at home when Guti played to Robinho who crossed to Van Nistelrooy, who one touched it home. Therefore there has to be a player that plays deep to cover the back four and that in my opinion should be Ottl if Hargreaves is not fit.

Mark Van Bommel will need to be the distributor in this fixture over two legs. His passing, vision, and tackling took PSV Eidnhoven to new heights, heights which hadn't been dreamt of since that 1988 final therefore he will need to rediscover that form. He has been doing just that, and with the potential that Claudio Pizarro possesses Bayern have every shot of lifting the title this season. If they can clear up their defensive inconsistencies then Munich in my opinion will go through. But if Guti is allowed to roam in midfield, then expect a Spanish lesson in distribution.

Expected Starting Eleven: Bayern Munchen

GK Oliver Kahn, DR Willy Sagnol, DC Lucio, DC Daniel Van Buyten, DL Phillip Lahm, MR Hasan Salihamidzic, MC Andreas Ottl, MC Mark Van Bommel, LM Bastian Schweinsteiger, F Roy Makaay, S Claudio Pizarro

Substitutes: Micheal Rensing, Christian Lell, Martin Demichelis, Ali Karimi, Lukas Podolski, Roque Santa Cruz, Valerian Ismael

Expercted Starting Eleven: Real Madrid CF

GK Iker Casillas, DR Michel Salgado, DC Fabio Canavarro, DC Sergio Ramos, DL Roberto Carlos, CDM Emerson, CDM Mahamadou Diarra, LM Jose Antonio Reyes, RM Robinho, F Raul, S Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Substitues: Diego Lopez, Alvaro Mejia, Francesco Pavon, Ronaldo, Antonio Cassano, David Beckham, Ivan Helguera

Final Prediction:

February 20th Real Madrid CF 1-1 Bayern Munchen, Madrid

March 7th Bayern Munchen 2-1 Real Madrid CF, Munich

11. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Keep that for different threads. Please don't post anything on this thread unless you're really discussing the CL in depth...

As for the next preview, I'm either doing one tomorrow or tonight.

Regards,

Marko

12. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    And Then There Were Sixteen​

[​IMG]

Will we see this gesture again this year?​

Match Preview: FC Barcelona vs FC Liverpool

This time last year Barcelona were paired with their favorite dancing partner in Chelsea FC, to face in the last sixteen. This time around it is another English team, albeit with a Spanish coach. This matchup has several intriguing individual battles, as well as matching up two sides that are legends in the history of the beautiful game.

Let's begin the journey in England. In his third season with the Reds Rafa Benitez has produced some vivid memories in the eyes of the Kop. In his first season he won the Uefa Champions League with a much depleted squad, but that consistency in Europe was also due to the lack of consistency at the domestic level. While Liverpool have produced bright football in cup competitions since Benitez's appointment they have been disappointing in the league. In Benitez's first season Liverpool finished an astounding 37 points behind the Blues, although they did cut the margin last year to eight. Benitez has won the trophies Liverpool fans don't really care about. What do I mean? Of course the ECC win two seasons ago was amazing, and truly showed what a great manager he is, but the title has still not been in Liverpool hands since the beginning of the Premiership. That in my eyes is too long for the illustrious Liverpool. As a kid this was the club with its history, and players such as Robbie Fowler and Steve Mcmanaman ran the show. Unfortunately the Reds have languished and in all honesty have yet to capture the glory days of the Eighties. This is down to two factors. The players of the past ten years haven't in my eyes had the quality of either Arsenal or Manchester United. Sure there would be spurts of great football, but in all honesty Emile Heskey is not Van Nistelrooy or Henry at the end of the day. It seemed Liverpool was due for a revolution, and that is exactly what has happend when Benitez came.

Ironically most of the squad which played in that Euro final has been disposed. Gone are Henchoz, Biscan, Cisse, Baros, Traore, Smicer, and Hamann while others have been displaced onto the bench such as the infamous Kop hero Jerzy Dudek. A new generation has arisen in Liverpool and we will truly see what they're made of in a stern test against Barcelona. This season Liverpool has been doing fairly well in Europe. Domestically they've had serious problems away from home which will be key when they go to the Nou Camp. Although recently they've started to shine, and were it not for some Brad Friedel heroics, they wouldnt've suffered defeat at Blackburn. Two key players in my eyes for the Reds will be Craig Bellamy and Steven Gerrard. In all honesty Bellamy is a good player who was noted for his ego. Since coming to Liverpool this summer he has quited down knowing that this is his last chance to make it big. He has been inconsistent, and he needs to take the bull by the horns and steer the Red ship into the final eight. The performence of Steven Gerrard will be down to himself. We've all seen what he can do when he's on top of his game, as we all saw that night in Turkey versus AC Milan, but it will be this ingridiant, his passion that will fire Liverpool to the final 8 if it so happens. The well known back four will have to show some more consistency in the final third, and if Carragher can get back on form to where he was last season then the Reds have a great shot. The main problems Liverpool will have are the pace of the Barcelona attack, as well as the distribution of their own offense. If Kuyt and Bellamy have one of those nights then look for LFC to shine, but if the offense doesn't show up as has been the case away from home in the EPL then expect a lesson by Deco and Ronaldinho.

Barcelona are on the other side. Ronnie is smiling and with great aplomb due to the fact that they're lying second in the league and in the last 16 of the ECC without Samuel Eto'o or Leonel Messi. Were it not for the World Club Cup in Japan chances are Barcelona would be first in La Liga. Ever since Eto'o went out against Werder Bremen, Ronaldinho has stepped it up. He was criticised for his lack of form during the World Cup as well as during the beginning of this season, but this is down to one reason, fatigue. The evidence is there. All the major stars have been weakened from it. Adriano barely started his first game for Inter recently, Shevchenko has struggled after having no rest whatsoever, and even Henry is out with injury. Ronaldinho has basically played the entire two years without stopping. After the Champions League final win versus Arsenal he only had about 3 weeks to rest.

But that time has passed. Eidur Gudjohnsen has been added to the Barcelona ranks and he has been performing to the utmost of his abilities. While most Catalans have seen him as a downgrade to Eto'o, people just have to realize that he was added to create a new dimension to FCB instead of becoming the permanent one. Eidur is not Eto'o. He does not have the speed, but he does have the technical ability and that is where his drop back play comes in. The attack seems unhealthy at the current moment due to this lack of pace, but give it time, it will work. And when Eto'o comes back it will pay dividends if FCB are in dire need of a goal. With the recent news that Leonel Messi will be back in January and Eto'o in February we could expect a full strength Barca side versus Liverpool.

People such as Matt Le Tissier of Sky Sports have suggested that this Barca has reached their potential but I disagree. This team is suffering from injuries and even that cannot stop them in challenging for the title. With the emergence of Gianluca Zambrotta as an excellent fullback and Barcelona look in great shape. Their lack of form on the European front was exactly due to this new gelling of the squad. With the introduction of Thuram, Zambrotta, and Gudjohnsen and with the depletion of Eto'o and Messi Barca have tried to cope in learning a new direction, and they've done it well. Rijkaard is a magician in my eyes, and I expect Barca to be in full flight come February. Anything else would be a disappointment. The key for Barcelona in this case will be their central midfield. Whoever starts in the defensive midfield role; Xavi, Edmilson, Motta, or Iniesta will emerge as the key. If this man has a good game then progress is guaranteed. I have watched Barcelona more than several times this season and it seems Motta does not get the credit he deserves. If I may make an analogy, he is the invisible wall as Gilberto is for Arsenal. Iniesta has also improved dearly over the past season and he will also be an interesting player for Rijkaard in this fixture. As always Ronaldinho can never be counted out, and if Barca are under fire they will look to him to provide the guidance.

If Eto'o is resurgent come February and both Messi and Giuly are in fully flight then Barcelona's progress is secure. The key for Liverpool will be for Gerrard and whoever pairs him up in midfield be it Sissoko or Xabi Alonso to shut down Deco and either Xavi, Iniesta, or Motta. If they can do that, and Bellamy can force pressure on Puyol then Kuyt will have a great chance of causing havoc. Add Peter Crouch as the target man and he could cause problems for the Barcelona defense. Either way it's going to be an interesting match up, as Benitez knows how to play against Spanish opposition.

Liverpool Projected Starting 11:

GK Jose Manuel Reina, DR Steve Finnan, DL John Arne Riise, DC Jamie Carragher, DC Daniel Agger, MR Jermaine Pennant, ML Luis Garcia, MC Xabi Alonso, MC Steven Gerrard, F Dirk Kuyt, S Craig Bellamy.

Substitutes: Jerzy Dudek, Sami Hyppia, Peter Crouch, Robbie Fowler, Mark Gonzalez, Fabio Aurelio, Mohammed Sissoko

Barcelona Projected Starting 11:

GK Victor Valdes, DR Gianluca Zambrotta, DL Giovanni Van Bronckhorst, DC Carlos Puyol, DC Rafael Marquez, DMC Xavi, DMC Iniesta, WGL Ronaldinho, WGR Leonel Messi, AMC Deco, S Samuel Eto'o.

Substitutes: Albert Jorquera, Lillian Thuram, Juliano Belleti, Sylvinho, Thiago Motta, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Ludovic Giuly.*

*- Depends if Eto'o, Messi, and Edmilson come back from injury in time. If not Gudjohnsen starts up top with Giuly on the right, with Oleguer coming to the bench as well.

Predicted Result:

FC Barcelona 2-1 FC Liverpool, February 21st, Nou Camp

FC Liverpool 1-1 FC Barcelona, March 6th, Anfield

13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    A very good summary. Although I think Sissoko will start if he is fit. Pennant being dropped and Gerrard on the right.

Also there is so much football to be played before this tie that current form (in December) will be irrelevent.

Anyway keep it up.

Who's next?

14. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    And Then There Were Sixteen

[​IMG]

Can David Silva step up his game?

Match Preview: Internazionale Milano FC vs Valencia CF​

Something tells me this classic matchup will spur one or two suprises. This year has been a terrific for Inter Milan and Italy, albeit the Serie A scandal. Roberto Mancini's men were the only ones that weren't penalized of the major three meaning AC Milan and Juventus. After their main competition was taken out of the title race by penalty Mancini focused on strengthing his starting eleven. When he came to Inter three seasons ago he was seen as a revelation. Winning the Italian Cup in his first season Inter were to build on this next year, what was seen as their first legit shot at the title. Once again they disappointed. They started the season off great with Adriano in full flight matching Juventus step for step, and even managed to beat their cross town rivals, the Rossioneri. Then came the game which ended their title hopes. Four points behind the Old Lady, a win was needed at the San Siro to ensure their voice for the title remained in tact. But any dreams Inter had were deleted that day after Del Piero and Ibrahimovic cancelled Samuel's equalizer. It was a sad sign to see after this was probably the best Inter team in the last half decade in my opinion.

The reason for this failure in my eyes was not the pressure of the league, but it was the man who was to lead Inter to this feat. Too much was put on the shoulders of Juan Sebastian Veron, who is not consistent enough to be the creative force behind the two strikers. He is a great central midfielder, no doubt, but he needed a partner, and that partner was lacking. Cambiasso was doing everything he could, but it was not enough and a mid season injury to Veron only added further pain to an Inter who looked to Veron for guidance on the field. But Mancini fought off the criticism. He won another Italian Cup, and while some might say he hasn't produced with the players available to him I disagree. He has achieved more than any other Inter manager in the past five years producing a trophy every season since his arrival. With the season done and Veron leaving to Argentina to be with his family and Estudiantes LP, his hometown club, Mancini was forced into the market. He also sought to stablize the defense, and add further options to the attack as he knew the World Cup would have an affect on his players.

Up top he brought in two well known Serie A forwards in Hernan Crespo, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. One was always unsettled in London, and the other came from Juventus who did not want to play in the Serie B for a season due to Juventus automatic disqualification from the Serie A the season prior. These two added a new dimension to Adriano. One is a rather technical player who on his day can rip the entire defense apart in Ibra, while Crespo is a pure finisher who pounces on any ball he can get his foot on. Adding in attack were Adriano, the Brazillian with miles of pace, and the lethal Julio Cruz who just cannot catch a break with the Argentine scoring anytime he is put in. He is the main reason why Inter are here in the last 16, but more on that later. In midfield, with Veron departing Mancini chose a more defensive route with Patrick Vieira coming from Juventus due to the same reason as did Ibrahimovic, and Olivier Dacourt from AS Roma. These two command the centre of the park with both midfielders striving forward while one lacks back. Both know their duties as defensive midfielders so they know how to occupy that position. On the left is Dejan Stankovic, the most trusted midfielder Mancini has. He brought him from S.S. Lazio when he came to Inter and the Serbian midfielder has been in finest form in the Serie A. Also on the left as back up to Stankovic is the depandable Santiago Solari who came from Real Madrid with Walter Samuel. On the right is Luis Figo, a Portugese legend with Alvaro Recoba playing anywhere in midfield or up top. The last inclusion in the midfield is Esteban Cambiasso who has seen his time reduced a lot this season as in Mancini's eyes he was one of the main reasons why his previous teams had failed to capture the league officially. I cannot say I blame him, but some of the blame also must be put on Veron in my eyes. Esteban had his finest season two years ago, but he needs to recapture that form if he wants to start.

In defense depth is the key word. Each position has two world class players. On the right side lie Javier Zanetti, an icon of Inter Milan and the captain, as well as Maicon who has been starting as the right midfielder in recent games. In the center of defense are Ivan Ramiro Cordoba, another legend of the Nerazurri, Walter Samuel, Nicolas Burdisso, and Marco Materazzi. On the left is Maxwell who is a Brazillian international, and Fabio Grosso the infamous Italian who came from Palermo following Italy's world cup victory. In goal lies the new face of Inter Julio Cesar, and the veteran Francesco Toldo.

All in all this team is deep. It is no wonder to me that they have yet to lose a game in the Serie A this season. Every position has two world class players, and Mancini has made use of this very wisely. While he struggled at the beginning of the season in the Champions League people were begging for a replacement. But Massimo Moratti had faith in Mancini, and a month later after talk of Sven Goran Eriksson being introduced as the new manager Inter went on a serious unbeaten run in Europe to insure their progress. After losing to Bayern Munich at home and Sporting Lisbon away questions were being asked, but back to back wins over Spartak Moscow and a crucial win over Sporting at home insured Mancini's men of a place in the last sixteen. One of the main men for Mancini so far has been Julio Cruz who is a serious super sub. He comes off the bench and scores goals. In the Champions League he had 2 match winners, and one more. I seriously wonder why he does not get more playing time, but in all honesty if he is content that seems okay. Inter's key will be their defense. If they can keep out David Villa, Miquel Angulo, as well as Joaquin then I see them progressing. This is obviously logical, in terms of goals but if Inter want to advance they need to quiet down the wingers of Valencia. The fullbacks will be under a lot of pressure for Inter, and it will be interesting to see who starts on the left with both Maxwell and Grosso providing great coverage.

On the other side are Valencia. The story of their season so far has been fairly simple; great start, but after that inconsistency is the key. Their last couple of seasons have been interesting. They won the Uefa Cup with Rafa Benitez and the league title twice, but after his departure and the introduction of Italian mastermind Claudio Ranieri everything seemed destined for a great season, but everything seemed to fall apart. The introduction of the Italian contingent did not do anything for Ranieri as Stefano Fiore and Marco di Vaio largely disappointed from my perspective. The only remaining true starter from this period is reliable left back Emiliano Morreti who joined from Parma. But due to his ligament injury versus Espanyol in November it pretty much has ended his season.

Ranieri was dropped instead, and Quique Flores was introduced to the fray. He guided this squad to a respectable third in the league behind the big two, and has legitimized Valencia prospects in La Liga. He has brought in a large Spanish contingent of Fernando Morientes from Liverpool, Joaquin from Real Betis, and Asier del Horno from Chelsea. That set up an interesting system of employment and it's been a ride of up's and down's for Flores so far this season. The start to the season was magnificent with Valencia winning six and drawing one in their opening seven games. But a poor run of form that lasted from late October through all of November had his men down on their knees. But they ended the year on a good note with three wins on the bounce. It depends what the new year holds for this team called Los Che. If this recent run of form is anything to go by then I predict an interesting tie that could go either way. The Spanish have always been an intriguing prospect for the Italians and it will be interesting to see who Flores uses for the match up in February. It seems he has finally gotten a system that he likes, but del Horno, and Moretti are injured and they are set to return before this game. It will be down to current form in my eyes and it's hard to predict what line up he will use. Edu on the other side cannot catch a break, and the former Arsenal maestro is out for the season.

It's been a difficult season for Flores who has seen his squad depleted by health concerns, but he has remained up beat and this is one of the reasons I have a strong admiration for his character. The squad possessess some terific quality and with the two finest Spanish wingers in Vicente and Joaquin I firmly believe this round might spur a suprise to who goes through. In my eyes Valencia's midfield is key. The up front duo of David Villa and either Fernando Morientes or Miguel Angulo will do the job, but the question is; can the wingers create the chances needed for Villa to do some damage? This will be down to the central midfielders who will control the distribution to them, and this will be key, because if Vieira or Dacourt martial the area with an iron fist then chances will be few and far between for Los Che.

Raul Albiol, who has been a revelation for Valencia this season will be key alongside David Silva and David Albelda. I believe Flores will opt for the more experienced Albelda away from home but I could be wrong, as Silva has also been learning this season. Both in their early twenties these two are the future of Valencia. If Moretti comes back in time then expect Albelda to be forced to the center of the defense where he is already or the aforementioned central midfield substitution with Curro Torres moving to the bench. We will see but I see a central pairing of Albelda and Navarro with Miguel on the right, the explosive Portugese wing back with del Horno or Moretti on the left. Miguel will definetly cause problems probably for Stankovic as his attacking prowess is noted.

As mentioned if Valencia have a healthy line up in February and they're in form then expect one cracker of a battle. This is the possibly the most hardest fixture to predict, but it will be one for the ages if both teams use their wingers. Expect a defensive first round game with the second exploring the realms of technical football.

Inter Milan Projected Starting 11:

GK Julio Cesar, DR Javier Zanetti, DC Marco Materazzi, DC Ivan Cordoba, DL Fabio Grosso, MR Maicon, ML Dejan Stankovic, MC Olivier Dacourt, MC Patrick Vieira, F Adriano, S Hernan Crespo.

Substitutes: GK Francesco Toldo, DL Maxwell, DC Walter Samuel, WR Figo, S Zlatan Ibrahimovic, F Julio Cruz, MC Esteban Cambiasso.

Valencia CF Projected Starting 11:

GK Santiago Canizares, DR Miguel, DC David Albelda, DC David Navarro, DL Asier del Horno, AMR Joaquin, AML Vicente, MC Raul Albiol, MC David Silva, F David Villa, S Fernando Morientes.

Substitutes: GK Ludovic Butelle, DC Roberto Ayala, DC Curro Torres, DL Emiliano Moretti, MR Miguel Angulo, AMC Hugo Viana, D/MC Carlos Marchena.

Predicted Score:

Internazionale Milano 2-1 Valencia CF, San Siro, February 21st

Valencia CF 1-0 Internazionale Milano, Mestalla, March 6th

15. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    And then there were Sixteen

[​IMG]

Can his scoring touch pay dividends in Europe?​

Match Preview: Chelsea FC vs FC Porto

Jose Mourinho must be tired of drawing well known opposition in the Champions League. Since coming to Stamford Bridge the well know Portugese tactician has drawn former employers Barcelona all three seasons, as well as Porto in his first season at the helm of the Blues. So far it has been a mixed road versus Barcelona, as well as Porto. Against Barcelona he has 2 wins, 2 losses, and 2 ties. Against Porto he holds a win and a loss. One would assume Mourinho would have a leg up on former opposition, but all in honesty both teams have changed so much since his departure that it would be unfair to look at the past as an inclination of what might happen. To gave an indication of what I'm talking about is FC Porto. Since leaving the Portugese club at the end of the 2003/04 season only one player remains and that is Vitor Baia, the back up goalkeeper albeit with tons of experience. FC Porto on the other side have gone through a tough time after Mourinho with all the major stars leaving. First it was Deco for FC Barcelona, then Ricardo Carvalho and Paulo Ferreira for Chelsea, Costinha and Maniche for FC Dynamo Moscow, Benni McCarthy for Blackburn, as well as Eduardo Costa. FC Porto has had 5 managers since Mourinho's departure, and this illustrates the instability Porto has suffered after that ECC win in 2004. It seems as if there is a pattern with this Portugese club; such building a generation that challenges seriously for a Champions League title every 7-10 years. But to me they've clearly improved this season in an abundant aspect, particularly in midfield.

Chelsea Football Club have established themselves as a major force in global football. Ever since Abrahamovich's tenure they've held themselves in higher regard, and with good reason as they've finished top two in England for the last three seasons, and look to do so again this season. After two back to back Premiership titles, and a pair of cup wins Mourinho couldn't ask for more, but he is begging the question and so are the supporters. After establishing themselves as a domestic force Mourinho has changed face and looked towards Europe as a frontier for success. Mourinho has come close with the Blues in the past two seasons, but that luck one needs to win the ECC has eluded him. This was the reasoning behind the two most celebrated signings of the summer for the Blues in Micheal Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko. While both have struggled in England, Mourinho will look to their leadership and understanding in the latter stages of the Champions League to help the West London club. Many have criticised Mourinho's two stars since their arrival but their time will come, and in my opinion as others have gathered is that the class will always be there in the feet of the player. That is a thing that can never be taken away. On the other side of things Chelsea have come under the gun recently because of their poor defense form. In all honesty the reasons behind this are due to Petr Cech's season ending injury versus Reading at the Madjeski Stadium. Ever since then the Chelsea back four has been for a better word, normal. While this would be good for clubs such as Udinese, and Bolton normal form isn't what Mourinho sees as the standard. While John Terry's injury has only added to the Portugese masters' woes I tend to disagree that it's all down to him.

Chelsea have the class to compete even with injuries and it's been a lack of opportunities for the "second team" players which has illustarted this lack of form. Paulo Ferreira, Geremi, and Wayne Bridge are all very solid, but as soon as John Terry went down, as well as Kahlid Boulharouz these players were thrown into the deep end with Mourinho expecting them to perform. I see a mixture of a lack of opportunites, as well as confidence amongst the Chelsea players as a result of their last three draws. But, one could disagree; against Reading bad luck turned Ashley Cole's freak clearence into a game tying goal, against Fulham a wicked bounce in front of Essien's clearence lead to a goal, and against Aston Villa they grabbed a shut-out, with Drogba failing to score an easy volley along with Lampard. Therefore Chelsea don't lack anything, it's just that they've had a barren run of form, and if they're the true champions we know they are then they will come through it. All great teams go through these spells, and because it hasn't happend to Chelsea yet, that is the reason everyone is panicking. Give Chelsea a month and they will be back to their old 'selves getting results week in and week out. No matter how good a team is they will go through such spells, and my advice to the Chelsea supporters would be to be patient. Terry will come back soon enough and the midfield will get it right, Shevchenko can only get better and Drogba is improving. The only worry I would have is Boulharouz's injury, but it seems to me that when Terry comes back the back line will come into its own again. It seems to me that the Ferreira-Carvalho-Terry-Cole lineup understands itself brilliantly. On one side you have the Portugese tandem, and on the other is the English duo, and with Terry and Carvalho communicating greatly Chelsea will be good in no time.

The key to Chelsea's game in my eyes will be in the midfield. Claude Makalele and Micheal Essien are the keys to victory in my eyes. Essien has stepped it up this season and has clearly been Chelsea's best player along with Didier Drogba. If Claude Makalele can interrupt Porto's midfield of Lucho Gonzalez, Anderson, Raul Meireles, as well as that of Assuncao then Porto will have a problem, because Ballack's ruthlessness in distributing coupled with Essien's pace, will cause the Portugese club to suffer in defense. Add Arjen Robben into the equation and Porto will face a stern test in defense, and that is where the eventual game will be won. If Porto's defense can hold Chelsea in the first leg, then anything can happen because the longer this tie goes on without Chelsea edging in front, the more Porto will grow in confidence. With the first game at the Estádio do Dragão, Jesualdo Ferreira's men will feel it necessary to take something for the first game. I'm sure Chelsea will be going for that all important away goal in the second half. I predict a cautious Chelsea side in the first half with Didier Drogba being all alone up front, with the second half providing the festivities. If the game ends in 0-0 tie both managers will be satisfied, knowing that the game at Stamford Bridge will decide who goes on. I wouldn't put these two teams past it, but something tells me FC Porto will be gunning for a victory over their old manager and players.

On the other side of the coin FC Porto has endured a roller coaster of a ride since Mourinho's departure but Co Adrianese's title win last season has given this team some confidence. After Diego left for Werder Bremen last summer, Lucho Gonzalez has come in, and the Argentine international has been nothing short of miracoulous. His goal against Hamburg in Germany was one of the finest volley's I've seen in my life time and that will only add to his confidence. Another name should he come back from injury in time is the Brazillian wonderkid known as Anderson. The 17 year old has been hailed as the new Brazilian wondergenius and it will be interesting to see how he performs against a team that he was linked with this past transfer window. The last player I would like to bring up is Ricardo Quaresma. After shining in his youth this player went to FC Barcelona in Rijkaard's first season with the Catalan giants. After returning to Portugal he has matured a lot, and look for him to shine against the Chelsea back four. He will give Cole a torrid time at left back and it will be interesting if a double team sometimes will come to Cole's aid. Quaresma used to remind me of a younger Cristiano Ronaldo, and now they've both grown up, albeit in different environments. Quaresma has surely taken the harder route, but he has learned from his time at FCB and I think we will see this against Chelsea.

Whatever happens, I expect the crowd in Portugal to be one of the finest of the season in the Uefa Champions League, and if they can pull off a win in front of their home crowd, then expect a heavy show down in the second leg. It's a case of technical football, versus efficient football. The latter is the favorite, but everyone loves the underdog. We will see what happens, and from a neutral standpoint this is probably the most exciting of all the fixtures. One thing is for sure, it's going to be a cracker!

Chelsea FC Projected Starting 11:

GK Carlo Cudicini, DR Paulo Ferreira, DL Ashely Cole, DC Ricardo Carvalho, DC John Terry, MR Micheal Essien, DMC Claude Makalele, WGL Arjen Robben, MC Frank Lampard, AM Micheal Ballack, F Didier Drogba.

Substitutes: GK Hilario, DC Khalid Boulharouz, DL Wayne Bridge, WGR Shaun Wright-Phillips, S Andriy Shevchenko, D/M Geremi, F Salomon Kalou.

FC Porto Projected Starting 11:

GK Helton, DR Bosingwa, DC Pepe, DC Bruno Alves, DL Fucile, MCR Lucho Gonzalez, DMC Paulo Assuncao, MCL Raul Meireles, WGR Ricardo Quaresma, WGL Lisandro Lopez, S Helder Postiga.

Substitutes: GK Vitor Baia, DC Ricardo Costa, MC Anderson, WGR Sektioui, F Jorginho, F Bruno Moraes, D Marek Cech.

Prediciton:

FC Porto 2-1 Chelsea FC, Estadio do Dragao, February 21st

Chelsea FC 2-0 FC Porto, Stamford Bridge, March 6th

16. Qindarka

Qindarka Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Malaysia

17. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Memorable Impressions of the First Leg, Round of Sixteen.

Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich

Who would have known when I wrote my preview that both teams would be in "panic" mode as Franz Beckenbauer was quoted as saying. Two months later, and Capello is supposedly jumping ship, and Bayern have already hired the infamous "General." This tie reminded me of this exact fixture in 2001 when Bayern went on to beat the then famous "Galacticos." This fixture is a long way from over and I see it being a Capello-esque contest in the second encounter. I see Fabio using similar tactics he used against FC Barcelona in the Bernabeu earlier in the season, with the opposite team doing all the attacking with Madrid counter punching. I will be suprised if Robinho does not start, as he is the key to unlock the Bayern defence in a couple of seconds just like he did to the Catalans. Overall the Van Bommel strike was priceless, and even though his behavior might have offended some people, the intensity was surely there, as that goal pretty much kept Bayern in the encounter. I was suprised also by the resurgence of Raul who had two goals to his name, and even though the second was primarily scored by Helguera, he still had to make sure that Lahm did not clear it. I'm going to stick to my guns and say that Bayern go through on away goal winning either 1-0 or 2-1. Both managers have been in these situations before, Capello with Milan and Juventus, and Hitzfeld with Bayern half a decade ago. If Kahn can step it up, and lead the cause then I see Bayern going through. But it will be interesting, as Ruud Van Nistelrooy who seems to be firing on all cylinders is waiting to pounce.

Lille vs Manchester United

What a bitter ending for the French. They were touted as having the power to overcome the Red Devils at home, and for spells they surely seemed to do so, but the game of football is a funny one and that is how the ball spins... literally. Some might disagree with me, but what Ryan Giggs did was totally legitmate. Thierry Henry did the exact same thing at Highbury versus Chelsea two seasons ago when he fooled Petr Cech and the entire crowd. The rules are explicit, and they say that, "if the ball is set up and the team is ready to take the free kick, and the referee gives consent then the player can shoot." All three things happend, and Giggs' experience showed. Overall I still thought Manchester were the better side, creating numerous chances. Lille's disallowed goal could be questioned for years to come, but for me that was another legitmate call. The forward clearly impeded the defender, and while the Lille fans might not like it, that's life. I hold my cards close, and barring any suprsies I see the Red Devils winning at Old Trafford 2-0. Perhaps Lyon will fare better tomorrow.

Arsenal vs PSV

Another "one of those" games for the Arsenal. They were clearly the better team in the first half, but PSV's resiliance paid off in the end. I was wary to predict the outcome of the matchup because I knew Ronald Koemen's men had what it took to get the job done. This Dutch side oozes with discipline that reminds me of Bayern's infamous 2001 side, albeit with a little less quality. The key factor in the game besides the goal, was the PSV defense. Alex was quality throughout the match frustrating Henry like no other defender I've seen before. He forced Henry to shoot from yards out, something I have not seen many people do. Also an honorable mention goes to two Latin Americans, the first being Carlos Salcido. This defender had an impacable game stopping and clearing anything that came near him. He was the perfect player that PSV needed in that position. The other is Hugo Gomes. He kept the tie within reach for PSV as Rosicky's first half shot seemed destined for the back of the net. That moment Arsenal knew they needed to create something special to beat this side. As for Arsenal they seemed to become more and more frustrated as the game went on, and in the end it cost them. It will be an interesting night in London in a fortnight's time, because not only do Arsenal have to win, they have to win by two goals, unless they wish to go to penalties. In all honesty, as a fan of the beautiful game, anything can happen, and it usually does in these encounters.

Milan vs Celtic

Nothing much can be really said here. Both teams appreciate the result. From Celtic's point of view they can be happy that they did not concede and have a fair shot of taking the tie in the second leg. As for Milan, they too must feel satisfied after their whole offensive line took a major hit. First it was Inzaghi, and even Gilardino and Oliviera were questionable. Ancelloti must feel it is imperative not to concede early at the Giuseppe Meazza, for if they do they will be chasing the game completely. I would not put it out of Celtic's reach as they have Nakamura who is a dead ball specialist, and can always make something happen. But, overall Milan is still the favorite bar none, and I see them going through to the quarterfinal stage, a place where I feel their venture will end this season.

18. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Predicted Outcomes of Tomorrow's Matches:

FC Barcelona 1-1 Liverpool FC

I see a packed Anfield on the the their heels singing, "You'll Never Walk Alone." While I predict a strong fight back from FCB, with them getting the early goal, I think the main problem will be holding on. The longer the game goes on and Barcelona don't score the more nervous they will get. They need to get an early goal, and after Ronaldinho's ridiculous moment of brilliance versus Chelsea two years ago when they came back from 3-0 down, I'm sure they could. I'm optimistic of Barca's chances but if Liverpool get a goal in my eyes it's over, and with the way the Reds have been playing lately I would not put it past them. I just see Liverpool going to the final eight.

Olympique Lyonnais 2-1 AS Roma

In this case both teams have been fairly inconsistent over the past two months. Lyon suffered a horrendous run of form during January and February, but the latest results might illustrate that they have turned the corner. Add to the fact that Milan Baros has broken in his account for L'Ol and we have one serious match up here. The key man for Roma is Phillipe Mexes. If he can keep out the Lyon offense, and stabilize Juninho Pernambucano then anything is possible, however I think le Stade de Gerland will be just a little bit too much for a side who's only back in Europe's limelight after a long absence.

Valencia 1-0 Inter Milan

I'll stick to my prediction and say that Valencia go through. I predicted that they would go through on away goals and that might likely happen. I saw Raul Albiol and David Silva as the keys to their progress, and I still hold that thought. Silva pretty much made Inter's job much harder in the 84th minute at the San Siro, therefore he is stepping up to the fore. With Morientes' experience and Villa's undoubted quality I see Los Che going through. Add to the fact that both Patrick Vieira and Esteban Cambiasso are out injured.

Chelsea 3-1 FC Porto

I see Chelsea running rampant with Porto, with Andriy Shevchenko exploding in the European scene for the English side, like he did a fortnight ago. Porto could spring a surprise if they play strong counter attacking football but I just cannot see them matching Chelsea in the middle of the park. Although if there is one man to prove me wrong it is Lucho Gonzalez.

19. cooldude

cooldude New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Nice work mate. Keep going.

20. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Quarterfinal previews come March 25th or so. Spring Break starts!

21. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    The Grand Final: AC Milan

[​IMG]

AC Milan Path:

This time last season we were applauding FC Barcelona for their fine exploits and Arsenal for their defensive measures in the build up to the final. This year, nothing of the sort has occurred. Negative football has been stamped out this season in the Champions League, and some real exciting football has been played. Who would have thought, at the beginning of this season these two powerhouses would meet again?

Certainly not I. For once even I had no inclination either team would actually be in Athens to play for that coveted trophy every European club desires so much and while some might say they knew something of it, I highly doubt it.

First of all, let's take a look at the Rossionerri. After the Italian scandal of last season nobody was even sure if they would participate in the Champions League this season, and what a journey it has been. They knocked out my beloved Red Star Belgrade in disciplined fashion winning 1-0 in Milan, and then becoming the first Italian team to win in Belgrade and the established Marakana Stadium 2-1, to go through 3-1 on aggregate. In the Serie A many questioned the loss of Shevchenko, but that didn't seem to trouble Milan with the team going unbeaten in both August and September. At this point in Italy, and even outside Europe many were questioning if Milan could seriously put together a title challenge. However the challenge that might have been never occurred. The age of the squad coupled with relative inexperience of the players brought in such as Ricardo Oliviera from Real Betis to replace Shevchekno, and Yoann Gourcuff from Rennes, billed as the new Zidane meant that the squad would have to settle rather quickly to overcome its new injection of blood. But, in this case, as in most time was needed, and Milan was marked by inconsistency from October to mid December. Heading into the Christmas break on the back of two wins Milan was finally hitting stride. With the short vacation in front of them the players relaxed and trained to their maximum potential at the famous Milan football academy. It was over these next couple of weeks that I firmly believe Milan found the heart it had before, inside them to turn their season around. The experienced players stepped up and demanded that Milan step up a gear, and it was specifically Ivan Gennaro Gattuso who demanded a better work rate from his teammates.

During the winter period Milan introduced Ronaldo, and even though he was banned from playing in the Uefa Champions League due to playing for Real Madrid already this season he firmly shored up the Milan front line in the Serie A. Any more thoughts of defensive instability gave way as Massimo Oddo came from S.S. Lazio and he has been a revelation ever since. He was one of the key men rescuing the Milan back line against Manchester United. As the season progressed Milan were building full of confidence, and this was firmly seen by their discipline to dispatch a 1-0 defeat of Scottish side Celtic at the San Siro in extra time. After a truly Italian performance in Scotland, it was Kaka's magic once again that provided the spectacular show in Italy which proved to insure Milan's progress. During all this time Milan kept climbing the table, and their progress in the Serie A has paralleled their rise to success in the Uefa Champions League, after looking out of place after a loss to AEK Athens in mid-November. Next came Bayern Munich, and while the German team held the advantage after the first leg the desire of the Rossionerri truly showed in the second leg in Munich at the Allianz Arena. I, with my own two eyes, watched Milan dissolve a Munich side, in turmoil nonetheless, but with such conviction that it did not really matter to me who they played. The game which Clarence Seedorf displayed that night in Munich left me in shock. I truly did not believe he still had it in him, and I think he has only gotten better since that game. In Munich he scored a goal, and set up Inzaghi with such a deft touch that held me breathing within myself for seconds. Such is the class that Dutchman and the Milanese possess.

[​IMG]

By this time Milan had overcome their point deficit in the league, and firmly entered the race for the top four. By mid April they were fourth in the league, soon challenging for third and were on top of their game. The draw paired them with Manchester United, and while most thought the Red Devils would cruise through, I must say, for the first time I thought the Milanese would have a point to prove. Cristiano Ronaldo's amazing season had many pundits betting how fun of a time Manchester would have with Milan, but it wasn't to be. Everyone thought Ronaldo would show up, but instead it was the Brazilian orchestrator Kaka which once again stole the entire show just like he did against Celtic. While Milan squandered their lead in the dying minutes in Manchester, they put themselves in a great position of going through. For the return game in Milan many thought Manchester would go through with trouble, but it was not to be. Today I saw perhaps, one of the most dominant performances in football this season, and possibly in my young life of 19 years. The pace at which Milan played the opening 10 minutes was relentless. I could not believe my eyes, and when Kaka scored in the 11th minute I knew the Manchester fans were in for one hell of a night. And once again, it was Seedorf who turned provider with a header that I will forever remember. Kaka's finish was clinical and Milan continued its attacks. The night ended in the 30th minute when Seedorf finished his own move, and firmly put Milan in the final. Even though there was an hour left, only hope clung to the Manchester contingent, and Milan knew they were not about to repeat Istanbul, and thus when Gilardino scored in the 77th minute it was to no surprise that the game had already been won.

The entire Milan machine worked to perfection, and while many feel it was Kaka and Seedorf who stole the show I was amazed by Milan's defense as well as the defensive midfield duo of Gattuso and Ambrosini. Time after time they made clinical passes, finished moves, and firmly enabled their team to go one better than their counterparts. The passion Gattuso showed at the time of his substitution was that of a warrior fighting for his village and country, and this is the primary reason Milan has gotten to where they are, pure grit and determination to make this season a success. Champions are marked by their ability to overcome adversity, and while I held the opinion that ACM should not have been allowed to play this year in the Champions League, they have firmly proved me wrong.

Part 2, Liverpool FC coming up in the next week.

Marko, from UC Berkeley, CA signing off.

[​IMG]

22. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Hello to all. I would like to sign off this season by saying thank you for all the support of this thread. I really feel I let a lot of you down with my inconsistent posting here on the internet, but to be quite frank it was fairly difficult.

I just finished my first year at college at Berkeley here in California. To be honest after a day's worth of classes, homework, and club soccer practice the keyboard seems might big for my hands. I just want to go to sleep...

As a 19 year old I hope one day to write for one of the major football magazines, and I really feel passionate about it. There is even a chance I might get to do a two week internship at Four Four Two but there is the problem of the ticket, as well as a place to stay. I really hope my future lies somewhere in football as I've been following it and playing it passionately since I was 9 years old.

Thank you once again for all the comments, it means a lot.

I'll be back once again for the 2007/2008 Season, and another version of the Wandering Thread. I really feel that my writing on the whole is getting a bit better.

Thank You, and

congratulations Milan.

[​IMG]

23. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Your efforts have been worthwhile and impressive. Well done.

Keep it up :D

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Unstickied.

Please feel free to start the 07/08 thread.

:)