Wambach called up

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by timed_out, Oct 31, 2002.

1. EFCCoach

EFCCoach New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    I had read before that Abby was at her best when she only takes one or two touches before passing or shooting. Watching her against Panama this indeed seemed to be the case. Her foot speed when dribbling is just a bit too slow to take many more touches unless she has space on the wings. She does a good job serving the ball and is quite dynamic around the box. She seems willing to lay her body on the line to score a goal. But, in this past game it seemed that the style of play was not that suited for her. The slashing runs of Milbrett, MacMillan and later Roberts seemed the most effective in creating scoring opportunities. It will be fun to watch Abby develop over the next several years.

2. theotherside

theotherside New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Not only that, but she seems to be quite a player. Of course, her down-to-earth nature does make it easier to root for her.

Come to think of it, her down-to-earth nature also is reminiscent of Akers.

3. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    O'Reilly called back in for Wambach.

4. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what?!

5. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Whoever said that the rosters COULD NOT be changed on the teams, from the start of the first game through the end of the tournament was correct. US could face disqualification if they rule this against them. O'Reilly headed back to the team today, and Abby had to leave.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually the "available" roster is 25. 18 + 7 as explained below.

We can assume, yes I KNOW what assume spells, that Abby's call up was aproved by CONCACAF.

From the CONCACAF Gold Cup Regulations:
    http://www.footballconfederation.com/statutes/goldcup_frameset.php
    It reads to me like whoever Abby replaced when she was first called up and played cannot play in the remainder of the Gold Cup.

However, other players that were allowed to go play with their team or that sat out because of injury can continue to play.

Now the question really is WHO did Abby really replace. There is NO requirement that a rostered player be on the bench for every game.

One more thing to remember that a literal reading of regulations IN NO WAY gives a good clue as to how the assns will actually rule on a given situation. FIFA and all other assns have, whenever it suited them, allowed various teams to violate many rules. ex. Mathis "should," by a literal reading of FIFA rules, had to sit at least one friendly game in the warm up for the WC because he received a red card in the previous friendly. BUT, since it was only friendlies involved, FIFA allowed him to play.

What it comes down to is the rules say EXACTLY what the assns want them to say rather than what is spelled out in black and white.

7. piper

piper New Member

Is there a link to any article?!

8. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Abby's out and Heather's in for sure? What happened??

9. piper

piper New Member

I have searched all over and have found no articles to base this rumor on.

So in my eyes, Abby is still on the roster... but I guess we'll see tonight.

10. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Believe me yet?

11. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    So BrandiC63, where do you get your info from???

12. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    LOL, our bad. You should go running around the boards screaming "I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO."

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well like I said in the PBP thread...I apologize for doubting you earlier today. I suggest some of the other folks who doubted you speak up as well...c'mon folks.

SunnyJah...BrandiC63 is right with that policy...

14. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    I play club soccer with a girl on the EB Team and we are best friends. She is best friends with HAO, and I hang out with the EB girls a lot, which includes Heather when shes not with the National Teams. I also play against the EB team in our HS Season.

15. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Like I said in the play-by-play. I completely understand why you guys didnt believe me, because if I were in your position, I wouldnt believe me either. I'd be thinking, this girl claiming to be friends with Heather, yea right who is she kidding. And with no news articles out on the issue. But really...would US Soccer be so quick to spread the news about April f***ing up??

16. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Someone on the WUSA boards claimed that Heather was brought back in because other teams complained about Abby being added to the roster. I wonder if that has any validity...

17. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    Hey, I believe she knows what she's talking about- Just wondering where she the info before the game- but hey personal connections are fine sources (!) BrandiC63- good sluthing for all of us. Nice work (and your website is just totally cute).

So from the homeland of Abby Wambach, upstate NY, I bid you all goodnight ::yawn::

18. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    I never read those boards, so to go over there just now and read those posts...I really cant help but laugh at what they are saying. Does anyone over here post there??

19. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Ummm it was okay during the WUSA season, but now I agree it's pretty laughable. Don't want to offend anyone, but it's mostly eleven-year-olds gushing about their favorite players.

20. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    lol Thanks :) I have to update it though and add some stuff to it.

outsidehitter - I mostly enjoyed reading reading the post by tietj, "if it was true i would have know about it.already.." Well she sure proved me wrong!
    I'm a member over there now, so expect some posts. ;)

21. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    The rules stated above for eligibility are for the men's Gold Cup, not the Women's. The Women's is only available in pdf form here http://www.footballconfederation.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/womens_goldcup_e.pdf

I think what the US did was okay. Well, as long as venue means that they are alowed to choose from the roster of 25 at each stop during the Gold Cup, but quite honestly I'm not sure, but it does leave the possibility open. From the Women's Gold Cup rules:

6. Each participating Association must submit to the Football Confederation
    General Secretariat a Preliminary list of 25 players, forty-five (45) days
    prior to the first match of the Tournament.

7. Upon arrival in the venue each participating Association shall submit to the
    representative of the Football Confederation Competitions Committee its
    Final List of 18 players from the list of 25 players, along with the players’
    passports for verification. After this date no changes to the List shall be
    accepted for any reason.

Jay

22. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    LOL.

SOCCERSTEPH17: "Tiej, keep checking! Your a phenom at finding out the facts!"

tiej: "well, that was all the news reports for today and it didn't say anything about Abby being left out of the roster. just like i said yesterday..i think someone lied to you"

23. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    lol its crap like that that wants me to run around screaming I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO, like you said i should do. :)

24. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I think the rules are pretty clear that Abby was an inelligble player vs Panama. It's clear that the roster is frozen at 18 once it is submitted (and that's obviously for the tournament), "No changes to be accepted for any reason" means it's not even allowable for injury. If Panama files a protest, I can't see how it would not be a forfeit 3-0 victory for them. Don't know how that affects our WC qualifying status.

April should be fired for this alone. I can't believe she was stupid enough to risk certain WC qualification over a roster move.

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I don't know if I would put the blame on April on this one. Wouldn't the roster change have to have been approved by tourney officials? They obviously let Abby play on Saturday.....