Waltzing Mathilda?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by OldFanatic, Jun 30, 2004.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is any Aussie on the board willing to shed light on what the Waltzing Mathilda tradition is all about? Who is/was Mathilda and what's her relation to Australian culture? Also, is this a tradition only specific to Rugby Union matches or other sports as well. Can't say I've noticed it during cricket matches involving Australia. But then again, cricket match telecasts are all interspersed with advertisements, so I might have missed it.

Also, just as an observation. From a neutral fan's perspective, I prefer the All Blacks Haka a lot more.

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    From an AFL perspective, I noticed that more people sing along with Waltzing Matilda than with Advance Australia Fair.

3. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The song is basically about a sheep rustler who gets tracked down and rather than get captured he commits suicide. It was written in the 1890's depression and is kind of an unofficial national anthem - more people know the words to it than they do the words to the real anthem. A "matilda" was a slang word for a tramps bundle of belongings. Interestingly the Australian women's soccer team are called the Matildas (ie. old bags)

A country singer named John Williamson started singing it at Wallaby games a few years back, and now it's become a bit of a tradition.

The song goes:

Once a jolly swagman (tramp) camped by a billabong (small lake)
    Under the shade of a coolabah tree
    And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy (camp kettle) boiled
    "Who'll come a waltzing matilda (walking the roads) with me?"

Down came a jumbuck (sheep) to drink at the billabong
    Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee
    And he sang as he stuffed that jumbuck in his tuckerbag (foodbag)
    "Who'll come a waltzing matilda with me?" etc etc

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I hate the song. HATE. Yeah, sure it's a good folk song, but John Williams annoys the hell out of me, and it would be a terrible national anthem.

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I rather like the national anthem your lot already have...I mean "Advance Australia Fair".

6. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    To continue:

Down cam the squatter (rich farmer) mounted on his thouroughbred
    Down came the troopers (mounted police) one, two, three
    "Who's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tuckerbag,
    you'll come a waltzing matilda with me"

Up jumped the swagman and leaped in the billabong
    "You'll never take me alive" said he
    And his ghost may be heard when you pass by that billabong
    "Who'll come a waltzing matilda with me"

7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Waltzing Matilda?

Hmm. All I can say is, I find it a bit strange. It's a very good folk song, similar to a Country/Western here in the US. Of course, since I don't have any cultural link to it, I don't have the full historical context. But I absolutely agree, it would make for a terrible national anthem. Imagine singing "Waltzing Matilda" (note the fixed spelling) about sheep rustling at a UN convention. :D

Sorry, Australians. I hope you don't take offence. But I stick by my original statement. I prefer the All Blacks Haka better. Now let me go and create another thread to see if anyone knows the words to the Haka (both Maori, and translated in English).

8. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    There was a suggested national anthem to the tune of Waltzing Matilda called "Song of Australia" - but I think they were afraid that peopel would use the traditional words instead.

Aussies aren't very outwardly patriotic (singing and flag-waving is considered "too American").

The thing about Waltzing Matilda is that it is basically anti-establishment - which is what Aussies like to see themselves as (non always accurately). The hero is a criminal, the bad guys are the rich and the cops.

9. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, I see. It makes better sense with that explanation to a non-Aussie. I wonder how the cops patrolling Wallabies matches feel about being called the "bad guys"!! :D I'm only kidding. Don't take it too seriously.

10. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Everyone hates the cops !! :D

Bit more historical context.

At the time most of the police were brutal, untrained thugs - often ex-criminals themselves. A lot of the dispossed swagmen were of Irish/Catholic heritage - some descendents of convicts, while most squatters (and politicians and judges) were of English/Anglican heritage.

There were quite literally "squatters" in that they basically grabbed huge tracts of the best land first and worried about technicalities like getting legal title to the land afterwards. The poorer small farmers had to try and survive on very unproductive patches of dirt. A lot hit the wall, and turned to crime.

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See, this is why I like BigSoccer boards. Nothing like getting quick international history (or geography, or politics, or you name it topic) lessons.

12. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Is there a God? and The Meaning of Life coming soon :D

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Waltzing Matilda sucks a mighty sucking as an anthem. I like our current one.

If it had to change, I'd put "I Am Australian" forward as my first preference - not Matilda.