Wall-E -- good for young kids?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Ringo, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a G-rated Pixar movie (and I've even heard reviewers say it should be a best picture nominee, and not just in the animation category) so I know there's no sex and violence. But still -- is it a kid's movie or too, ahem, high-brow for the toddler set? It's not that i think the movie would be inappropiate, I just didn't want him to be bored.
    My boy is 3 years old (almost four) and I'm curious if people think he'd enjoy it (not too much dialogue, etc.). The first and only movie he's seen in a theater is Kung Fu Panda, which he loved because he loves Pandas and Tigers. lots of furry animals bouncing around -- what's not to love? Wall-E: less furry animals.
    interested in thoughts and opinions. Thanks!
    :)

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I took my 8 year-old who really enjoyed it. But the 3-4 year olds in the theater were obviously getting bored by the end.

3. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that my five-year-old is at the minimum. He loved it. We saw it on Friday, and he's been talking about it ever since. There's plenty of action and a lot of humor... so it's possible... but if your kid is the type who gets bored easily... wait for the dvd.

That said, the pixar short at the beginning of the film might be worth the trip. My son was laughing hysterically.

But I say take him anyway and see! I took my son to see Ratatouille last year and he was a bit of trouble... same with Surf's Up the year before.

Honestly, I would say that Wall-E is not a boring movie though. Even when there's no dialogue, there's plenty of activity to hold a kid's interest.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i ended up giving it a shot and Gringo was right in that the boy ended up getting bored near the end. he was more excited for the madagascar2 preview before the movie (he likes to move it, move it) .... as such, I didn't enjoy it as much as I probably would've if I didn't have a bored 3 year old on my hands.

5. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    While on this topic, at what age should "Star Wars" be introduced? BTW, my almost 5 year old really liked Wall_E.

6. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started my kid (5 in March) to Star Wars earlier in the year... actually, late last year. He is very into the star wars world now. He even knows some of the mythology. He asks good questions, knows who Darth Vader is and who his son is and who his daughter is.

He loves star wars things now... and it's something we can be into together... though we're not going to some convention dressed as father and son stormtroopers. We have our limits!

7. bballmom

bballmom New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Am excited to see WALL-E!

Star Wars definitely needs to be introduced BUT the movies aren't followed along very well at that age. It's more the characters, the lightsabers, Dark Vadar, etc.

8. yufu14

yufu14 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Its the next toy story from what I heard :rolleyes:

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why does it need to be introduced? I am almost 28 and never seen any of the Star Wars movies and never plan to.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thanks for ruining it. ;) :p

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, not everybody is as cool as you are.

;)

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was 13 the summer of '77, and Star Wars was almost transformative. To that point in my life, it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen. The scope was epic -- evil, HUGE empire vs the plucky little rebels -- yet the setting was first person, what with R2D2 and C3PO. Vader may be the best bad guy since Dracula. I could appreciate the sweep of the story, the myth behind the plot. It really is a young teen movie. And yet, two years later when Empire came out, I was off that trip.

Start kids too young, though, and they miss the story. Star Wars is just one more in a long line of good guy - bad guy romps. I'd really wait. Oh, wait, I did. My daughter didn't see Star Wars until she was 12. My son, who is 9, saw it then, which I kind of regret because it was too early. He can run around quoting Harrison Ford quips, but other than that, it is just another movie to him. Given a choice, he'd rather watch Transformers. And that's just wrong.