Walker Zimmerman opportunities in Scandinavia?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Balerion, Jan 20, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Stuttgart going back to the Bundesliga this May. Hannover might be in 3 Bundesliga. Though loads of competition at the former.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Correction. Hannover is fighting for that 3rd spot.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Scouts will be at the upcoming Pachuca-FCD CCL match to take a look at players from the two teams.

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2017/3/27/15081164/fc-dallas-vs-pachuca-scouts-stuggart-ajax

This column mentions that Schalke, Stuttgart, Ajax, & Anderlecht as teams taking a look at Zimmerman. [Take the source with a grain of salt.]

Scouting is just scouting. Lots of players get scouted. When it comes to Zimmerman, I do believe that where there's smoke...............there's fire.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd mention of Stuttgart in this thread. That's also a level that would make sense (more than Schalke).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Makes sense for 2 Bundesliga

how much is he rated as being worth?

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He signed a new deal last year, so that will add to his value.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a standout young defender in MLS on a favorable contract and is breaking through with the national team. It only makes sense if that 2. Bundesliga club is becoming a 1. Bundesliga club next year. And he probably wouldn't sign before then anyway. Good timing for him I'd say would be this winter when teams need to fortify, he can see where he fits in to their immediate plans, and after Gold Cup-plus where he's integrated into the national team. Obviously it will help if FCD wins the CCL and he more than holds his own.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pretty amazing that Zimmerman was a free agent before the 2016 MLS season, trialed around in Scandinavia, and didn't really find what he was looking for. A little more than a calendar year later he has clubs of a higher caliber reportedly looking at him. They could have had him for free a year ago!!!!!

9. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds familiar, someone needs to tell him to ignore any numbers from a certain London team.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We are gonna be stacked at CB's next summer. Arena is gonna have some real solid options.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Off the top of my head Brooks, Cameron, Besler, Ream Gonzalez, Miazga, Zimmerman, Hedges, Palmer-Brown (small chance). That's a strong contingent

The Irish Rover and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Wow good team very solid defensively, play very adaptable version of 3 in the back. Great education.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article misspelled Russell Canouse's name and then got the facts wrong about his first team debut. Not directly relevant to Zimmerman, of course, but it does call into question the quality of the article.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you just gotta consider the author.

Dyer is usually okay. It might reflect poorly on him and his editor, but I'm not sure it means his info is wrong.

16. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    imo, he is better overall than hedges. hopefully he recovers quickly

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really nothing is going to change between now and next summer among CBs - aside from WZ getting healthy. If you think we're going to be stacked next summer, then you should think we're stacked right now. It's the same group of players.

Maitreya repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    My point is just a lot of options for Arena. Zimmerman going abroad will help. Brooks at Wolfsburg will help.

You're right though.

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hedges, Miazga, and Zimmerman should have significantly more caps than now; and EPB + CCV could emerge as options between higher-level European play + getting fast-tracked internationally. Opara could break-in during January camp. Besler could also reestablish, after he was the most reliable cb for a few years, before somewhat falling out of favor. So that year can make a big difference in perception and reality.

Where we stand right now in terms of internationally established cb depth + quality is luke-warm. I mean we're starting Omar Gonzalez and Tim Ream in big games. That's unsettling, and when you look at the pool at large, it shouldn't be near that way, and better not in a year, otherwise it's reflected of a major failure in an area by Bruce. He needs to harvest and cultivate, not rely on his current group of mediocre options for a U.S. cb grouping.

20. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If our CB depth can move GC to Bradley's spot, we are progressing. After that, the progression could b...well, everyone can insert whomever you like. I just laid the groundwork.

21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see the window as being that wide open to break in.

You have 7 players in: Cameron, Brooks, Besler, Gonzalez, Ream, Hedges, Zimmerman, and Miazga in the pool right now. Arena is NOT going to start anyone from outside this list in the remaining qualifiers because there is too much on the line.

That doesn't leave much time for breaking in.

You have 2 November friendlies assuming the U.S. team doesn't drop to fourth and have to play in the playoffs. If that happens, there will be no experimenting outside of that 7-player list. Then you have 1-2 January Camp games, and probably 2 games in March 2018.

If Carter-Vickers can get minutes beyond cameos at Tottenham, then maybe he could get fast-tracked. But in reality, I can't see that 7 player list being changed. In all likelihood, it'll be Brooks-Cameron in Russia.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Hedges, Zimmerman, and Miazga become reliable starting options in Sochi come June, after further integration between the 7 games surrounding Gold Cup, friendlies, and qualifiers; then I consider that a very significant change. You'd go from guys like Gonzalez and Ream possibly being at the World Cup and starting meaningful games if anyone goes down or if we play a 3-man back-line, to not.

And any of CCV, EPB, or Opara could be fast-tracked through January camp or high-level European play. If CCV ends up a starter at Tottenham, that's a rapid ascension. We don't know where EPB will land. But if he plays a key role in Champion's League at either cb or cdm, that's a rapid ascension for him as well. He has the additional argument of his versatility and ability to play a possible need position for us in destroyer d-mid. Opara has achieved excellence in MLS whenever healthy and could rise through January camp + subsequent friendlies.

For Klinsmann, John Brooks and Aron Johannsson got spots at the '14 WC, after not being capped at all beyond this point, and w/ no GC as an aid. Yedlin + Green weren't capped until January camp that year or beyond.

For Bradley, Robbie Findley was first added in friendlies late in the year before WC '10. Buddle and Gomez were added in friendlies the year of the World Cup. Bedoya just missed out after that late of a start. FWIW, Holden was added, starting out at Gold Cup, where we are now. And that was with Bradley's stamp already on the team. Bruce's isn't so much on this team, yet.

Cameron as a bonus has cdm as his best position. Bruce may eventually learn that and actually employ him there, especially knowing all the cover at cb. He may re-learn that Besler was the team's most reliable cb for a few years and is still in his prime.

So odds are the cb pool/rotation doesn't remain relatively static between now and the WC, especially w/ this much talent and comp, even if we do end up with a cb pairing of Brooks and Cameron in the end. I expect a substantially changed landscape there, cm, and maybe 1 or 2 other positions when it's all said and done.

23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course if CCV or EPB start huge games they're going to get looks. I just don't see that within the next year. They might get a few appearances but I don't see it regularly happening.

You can play the IF game all day long. If Desevio Payne is one of the best RBs in the Eredivise this year, he could be Yedlin's backup. If Hyndman starts for Bournemouth, he'll walk into the USMNT starting XI. If Gooch starts for Sunderland in the Championship, he could emerge, etc.) It doesn't mean any of it is true.

Based on the totality of his career, I still think Cameron's best position in in central defense. .

Yes, in 2010 the landscape changed a lot quickly but that was because of the worst rash of injuries to ever hit the USMNT in a run-up to the World Cup (Davies, Onyewu, Holden).

superdave repped this.
  24. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't his contract run out in the winter?

ShaftBrewer repped this.