Walker Zimmerman opportunities in Scandinavia?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Balerion, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's out of contract and the rumors say that he's looking for more playing time than Dallas can offer, given FCD's strong starting tandem of Hedges and Loyd.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thankfully, Dallas addressed this possible move by selecting a defender with their fourth-round SuperDraft pick.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also signed a homegrown centerback and are reportedly close to signing an international guy as well. [Maynor Figuero is a a rumor.]

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If Guillen can get Zimmerman-type minutes on a good team he could end up ROY. Seems somewhat unlikely, so Figueroa (or whoever they sign) is gonna have big expectations.

Anyway, it's a Zimmerman thread. I guess he's still in negotiations with Dallas?

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I guess. Most folks I've talked to haven't heard anything in a while.

FCD has plenty of cap space available, so I'm not even sure its a "money thing."
    What we'd heard is exactly what you said earlier. Walker wants assurances regarding playing time.
    I don't know if that's true, but it makes sense. He's 22 now, and should be seeking first team playing time.

Walker did play in 22 MLS games last season, starting 11 of them. With CCL next season, one would think that number would go up more for him if he stayed with Dallas. Loyd and Hedges stayed remarkable healthy in the last 3/4 of the season. Will that happen again? Will Matt Hedges be one with the USMNT?

It's always a positive for these guys to explore their options. I just don't think we should be losing these types of players to Scandinavia.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Training at Viking?

You may recall that A.J. Soares plays for Viking. In 2015, he mainly partnered with a 34 year old Icelandic guy named Indriði Sigurðsson. Sigurðsson has departed the club for KR back in Iceland. An Estonian named Karol Mets also got a number of starts at CB last year, but based on football-lineups data he played around as many games at CM.

I don't think they've brought in anyone else at CB yet, so there could be a relatively straightforward path to starting alongside Soares if everything works out.

BostonRed repped this.
  7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soares and Zimmerman have the same agent.

ArsenalMetro and Balerion repped this.
  8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    [Bob Bradley] You know, Norway is not a bad jumping off point, if you want to get into Euro football ... especially, if it's the best offer you can get ... [Bob Bradley]

9. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    An article at Fotbollskanalen on the other hand says that he is staying until saturday and will get some playing time in the clubs preseason game on that day. IFK Göteborg are looking to sign someone on a six month contract since one of their central defenders are injured and will be gone until the summer.

The manager sounds positive. He thinks that Zimmerman is well trained in his positioning and also has good feet, headers and personality. Zimmerman says that he is still negotiating with FC Dallas but that he is open to sign with Göteborg if offered a contract. Also in a more bizarre part of the interview Zimmerman explains that his pet rabbit has died, but apparently it was old and had lived a good life(!).

Mario Balotelli, sakibomb523 and Gorky repped this.
  10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I guess it was more a case of him leaving for Sweden earlier then what was agreed. They might of course just be bitter also if they were actually interested in signing him and then IFK Göteborg swooped in from out of nowhere.

Balerion repped this.
  12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Have you seen "Annie Hall"? Its opening describes it perfectly.

Two old ladies are are having dinner together at a deli. One of them says, "This soup isn't any good" and the other adds, "And there's not enough of it".

Excellency and Winoman repped this.
  13. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Zimmermans potential future at IFK Göteborg seems a bit up in the air as the director of sports comment today that they won't make any decisions until they see who becomes available in february when the transfer window closes for the leagues playing with a fall to spring schedule.

They will however make a decision tomorrow on whether or not to bring him on their training camp next week. At that training camp they will also evaluate the injured central defender that Zimmerman would be replacing, and the director of sports points out that if the recovery is progressing well they might not sign a new central defender at all.

14. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Zimmerman played the second half of yesterdays preseason game and from what I can gather he did alright, but today IFK Göteborg announced that he will not come along next week to the clubs upcoming training camp.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stays in Dallas:

695647929759993856 is not a valid tweet id

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interest from Atlas?

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Zimmerman is cheap size. One looks at the current Mexican team and sees a lot of beef on their backline. Likewise, Liga MX clubs are beginning to emphasize the set-pieces more than in the past. Plus, their foreign player rules have changed and no longer favor the Latin American players. Add these factors, Zimmerman's age, his sell-on potential and this interest makes a lot of sense.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zimmerman is a good CB having a breakout season in MLS. He's top 10 in WhoScored's ratings. And there is a copycat effect with teams who win championships. Pachuca just won one in their first season after acquiring Omar, so Atlas is likely thinking about following suit.

Santos as a team also enjoyed a boost from Villafana who was really the best American player in LigaMX last season. He was favored over a guy who has 19 caps for Mexico at 27 years old. It would be a pretty easy leap for a team there to seriously look at Hollingshead, seeing as though he plays fb like Villafana, is on the same team as Zimmerman, and has also been a metric monster.

If LigaMX pushes MLS to abolish the salary cap, spend more evenly, and value young American players more than they currently are as a whole; I'm all for this new development. I don't know if Americans who aren't Mexican would frequently want to move south of the border due to the culture shock and some relative security concerns, but money talks.

With that in mind, Richie Marquez is a name to watch for this type of potential move, even with Mexican-Americans becoming undomesticated. A youngish Mexican-American who is a solid starting CB on a winning team in MLS right now.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense. Turns 24 in May. Good time for the next step and a new challenge.

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Wasn't he coming off almost a full year of injuries and came back and played only a game or two before having to name a squad.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    839263689958113281 is not a valid tweet id

Not sure if this was posted yet

Edit: oh hey three posts above me. Welp, here it is again. Sorry @BostonRed

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.