Wales-New Zealand [R]

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by PsychedelicCeltic, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    As much as I hate Rugby Union, you can't argue that games like this envoke EVERYONES interest in the country. So steeped in tradition, and with Wales, Grand Slam Champions as well, they have as big a chance in 52 years to break their All Blacks hoodoo :)

Rugby League is where its at though :cool:

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem, *cough* *cough*.

So, how is it going with that Rugby League World Cup? Got great media contracts lined up? And how about that massive worldwide audience for League's World Cup final?

3. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    So the sport has to be a global phenomen just for me to prefer it to Union? In this country it is force fed to you and in the blood. Union is Wales' national sport, League is very small over here but it is increasing in number. A new Welsh franchise has been set up, and taking a bottom-up approach to Superleague, and along with a new Welsh conference, the game is expanding.

I prefer League as there is far more structure in the game. None of these stupid rucks or mauls which kill and slow down the game and muddle it up. Then you have got stupid offside penalties, killing the ball, etc. You have none or very little of this in League.

I do like the times where Union is free flowing but it is rarely that these days, hence turning into a 'Lets see who can kick the most penalties' contest, can become a borefest. I also don't mind the line out aspect either, because there is a chance that both sides can win the ball in the air. I do however hate, and this is for League as well, is the scrums. How pointless are they? The ball is always chucked into their own teams side hence there is nye all chance of it being turned over. They should bring back the days of where the ball is played into the middle, where both sides can compete and show their true strength and tactical ability.

Union may be the bigger game worldwide, but League is catching up. League is growing in strength in NZ since the inception of the NZ Warriors, and only these week had its television rights bought by the free-to-air Maori TV. 'Les Catalans' are being incepted in SL next year, and opens up the possibility of exploiting the French market and a backdoor into a yet unventured Spanish market.

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy, easy. I was just teasing you tongue in cheek. ;) And I do know your original message was in jest as well.

But you do bring up a number of good points. The problem I've had with following League is lack of lineouts. I watched maybe a season's worth of League's matches 2-3 years ago. I got quite dizzy and disoriented watching crunching tackles one after the other with the football being punted back and forth, very little passing and not as many chances as Union for running or scoring tries. After that, I realized Union was what really suited my tastes. Having said that, in Union I find it pretty boring if the football gets punted from one end to the other and not much goes on the middle.

5. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I like line outs, and if scrumas were done properly I would like them as well, but League is running rugby and always has pace to it. Whereas Union can be sloooooooooooooooooooooow and dull. I will be honest and say a game of free-flowing Union is just as good as a fast and furious League game, but that flowing game in Union is just very rare these days. Both games could improve, but Union needs alot done to it, to make it the perfect article IMO. I hope League expands and becomes bigger than Union though, in the future though, overall its the more exciting and physical game :)

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    League is nowhere near catching up to Union in NZ...All Blacks rule the new zealand sportscene and it will get bigger with the new 14 team premier division...

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When it comes to League v. Union, Union is winning by a very large margin.

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    If we had a full strength side we would have a good chance I think, but as it is I wouldn't expect us to beat the all blacks.

I just hope that Jerry Collins gets some treatment, I absolutely hate him.

9. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Well done master of the obvious, but by the WRU taking away a major rugby union club from the Welsh heartlands of the vales and valleys, they are shooting themselves in the foot. So League has a big chance to fill the void there. You have got to bare in mind that Wales is a small country of 3 million and by the WRU alienating a good 500-800k of them, it gives League a springboard to work with and League is growing, you can't argue with that. This year Wales was awarded a Premier Division of the RL Conference and a Welsh side won the tournament overall. Wales RL are in the final of the ENC today against France. Wales has been given its first RL Professional Franchise for years.

Watch out Union, and I hope New Zealand give you a lesson today!!!

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    You support NZ against Wales because you prefer league?

11. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Not exactly. But when the media shows and rams union down your throat every minute of every day, you just don't give a toss about the result. They imprint union on your brain and make you think its your national sport. Welshness is rugby union :rolleyes: You have to like it because you are Welsh :mad: But thats quite the contrary in reality but the media wouldn't let you see it that way...

Wales' 4 rugby regions (Bare in mind playing top class rugby every week in the Northern Hemisphere) get around 25,000 all together on average so say 6,000 a side tops. Whereas the 3 Welsh football clubs in the Football league, at levels 2,3 and 4 on the football pyramid respectively get on aggregate in excess of 30,000 between them and they are not even playing the top standard!!! But does this matter to the BBC, HTV, South Wales Echo, Western Mail, etc.... DOES IT BALLS!!!

I am sick of rugby union, heavens forbid what it will be like if we ever won the World Cup... The Grand Slam did my nut in :(

12. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    200,000 people went to Cardiff for today's lemon of a game (crap, crap, crap). The 74,000 who went paid close to fifty quid for a ticket. Wales football has a difficult time selling out world cup qualifiers with five quid tickets.

You also fail to note the several thousand people who watch Welsh Premiership matches weekly, as well as the legions of people who still *play* the game.

I grew up in Wales, and in my village football was something you did to keep fit for rugby.

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So, you're that guy. :)

14. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Welsh Union internationals are places to be seen at, especially when the side is doing well. Do you remember when only 30,000 went to see Wales against Argentina only a couple years ago? And Wales are in the Top 7 in the World in Union. Welsh football is ranked anywhere between 80 and 100 in the World and against a piss poor Azerbathingy and nearly 40,000 turned up.
    Welsh Union matches are seen as an event an hyped up enormously by the media. Also playing home to England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand every other year or so is guaranteed to get you big gates. They either play matches against the best in the world or rivals/neighbours/

As for the Welsh Premiership getting several thousand? You are having a laugh. Fan numbers on the whole have decreased on the whole since Moffett took over. In fact, more and more Welsh rugby clubs are dying in the day and age of professionalism.

Why didn't I bring in League of Wales football attendances? Why didn't I bring in Newport County, Merthyr Tydfil and Colwyn Bay attendances to reinforce my point? The reason I didn't scoop the barrel like you is because we are looking at the main sides/franchises whic the Welsh public support.

Also you got to take into account the thousands of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool glory supporters all over Wales. Who have the Union fans got to 'glory' support :D

Football is played by more people and supported by more people. But Union is the darling of the media.

15. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Unfortunately not, I don't know whats worse there. Having no knackers or being called 'Geoff' :D Mind you I bet the effin Media exaggerated that story as well :rolleyes:

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

These are all valid points, which I have voiced myself on these boards about what is the true national game of Wales.

But ... as much as this is true rugby will always be the game which the media focuses on because it is so inextricably linked with the national identity. There aren't many coal mines any more but equally they represent something about the nation that means they will always be a part of it.

17. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I agree with that. Wales = Rugby, male voiced choirs, sheep and coal mines...
    Stereotypical but the media will play up to this stereotype and Union will there forever be seen as our national sport even though it isn't the most popular :rolleyes:

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Jerry dished some treatment as usual...didnt get any in return

Carter was amazing, clearly the best in the world at his position, Rico Gear finished everything that came his way

still, Kelleher and Ryan managed to throw away two try scoring opportunities

the defensive line proved impossible to break for the welsh...

good result for the ab's....be interesting to see who gets a rest and who gets to start next week

19. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    League of Wales? Hah. The leading attendance in the LoW-level league is about 900.

Again, call me when Welsh football gets 74,000 for a game and can charge more than what I have lying about in my pocket for the ticket.

Union fans have got Wales to glory support. I don't think I was even alive yet the last time Wales actually beat England at football, and I'm married.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

It was a rare game that Collins didn't do anything worthy of a red card.

The game was dross, but Wales were sorely missing 5 of our best players, and we don't have the strength in depth to match the best without so many stars.

NZ were good, played well, but it just turned into a non-event really.

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Wales last beat England in 1984, the two teams have only played twice since (the games just gone in qualifying).

22. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    add to the fact they lost Thomas, really lady luck was against Wales in that department

Colin Charvis should cnsider international retirement for a number 7 he went missing for most of the game

still it would have been a closer match if we had played Wales last instead of first, that way they could have gotten match practice