PBP: W20 NTC Invitational: USA, Brasil, Mexico, Japan

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Gilmoy, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82' 1-0 Mexico fk at 27m wide right, RB #2 Rodriguez bends it across to 12m left post. Crowther out-jumps everybody, twists head too much and glances ball way wide left, to box left foot.

83' 1-0 Through-ball too far for Hedge.

84' 1-0 RB #6 Sabrina Flores gets caught dribbling, ball ripped away.

84' 1-0 USA steal and counter up wide right to 24m, square pass intercepted.

2. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Yes.. before we dump the entire youth program, could it be that the past couple teams just simply are not that good?..its not like the USA has never won this thing..

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    85' 1-0 Mexico hoof long out of back right, #5 Jacobs passes it up. USA's control is leaking away, balls are popping head-high.

86' 1-0 USA cross from box right, headed out. Kedge passes diagonally down box left for Petersen overlapping, cross headed out. Mexico chip up box right, Petersen slips chasing, Mexico 2-v-1 at 20m mid-right. Diagonal pass sends Crowther down box right, Riehl taps ball over, both go down.

87' 1-0 Mexico right ck, swung left. Drops to Palacios at 10m 6-left, she turns and chips, just high and wide right.

88' 1-0 Mexico subs in (2 of 6) #21 Jamie Martinez for #11 Jana Palacios.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    89' 1-0 USA counter up centerline, Pugh rolls diagonal pass to 6m left post -- but offside. +2'.

90+1' (of +2') Mexico right throw-in at 22m. Antonio pokes it, Riehl volleys into touch.
    90+1' (of +2') Mexico right throw-in, high cross to the spot. Crowther way outjumps 1, but heads a weak pop-up to Murphy.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+1'20" (of +2') 1-0 USA hoof 3 balls past midfield.
    90+1'30" (of +2') Early whistle! and

FT 1-0. Industrious and workmanlike, but no panache.

6. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Much better effort from US.

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just got to watch the second half...but gotta say I was not very impressed. There were some nice connections and some decent defending, but this is a group that should beat Mexico by 4 goals. Not much offensive opportunity that I saw

8. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Typical of Michelle French's team, toothless and clueless.

April, Ellis and cronies are running US women soccer to the ground.

9. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I attribute a lot of the second half ineffectiveness to French's half-time changes. Specifically, she took off a play-making center-mid (Harvey) and moved Pugh to that spot.

At this point, there is no reason to believe this group will do well at the 2016 WWC. Given that the CONCACAF qualifying event (and associated camps leading up to that event) are going to interfere with the college season and the College Cup, I imagine some college players (whose teams can go far in the NCAA tournament) are going to have a difficult decision as to whether they want to be part of this group going forward. During game 1, the announcer said that French was not concerned as the pool is deep in 97s and 98s. I actually laughed out loud at that comment.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2015/06/06 Sat -- I am busy with the WWC Rosters :D, so no pbp
    12:00 PDT Japan-Mexico

~10' 1-0 Cross from right to ~5m right post, poked under #1 Berreras to 3m 1/3 left, poked into a prone defender's legs, rebound chipped over her legs and in.

~19' 2-0 #14 Hina Sugita dribbles to 7m wide right, square cross to #19 Shiraki, who does a dummy-spin-drag over ball, lets it roll through to #16 Ryo Momiki at 6-top 1/4 left, one-touch on the run under Berreras into back right low.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 Gilmoy, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    31' 3-0 Japan pass to #19 Shiraki at arc top left, flick-on to #13 Yui Hasegawa through box top arc left to 15m, left-foot shot micro-deflects off #4 Bernal's foot-top? Floats over Berreras, into center back 2/3 high.

~34' 3-0 Mexico 2 of 6 subs, both on defense.

42' 4-0 #11 Yuki Mitsutani passes from arc top rightward to RB #4 Risa Shimisu alone at 19m mid-right, one-touch cross bends to a 1-v-1 at 8m left post, they miss it. Ball bounces through to #16 Momiki with inside position at 6m 6-left, one-touch volley into back right low.

HT 4-0.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props to USSF for streaming these matches and posting them on youtube as well!

sprout repped this.
  13. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but ECNL....

South American repped this.
  14. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    If I was ECNL, I wouldn't brag too quick: http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/home/880853.html

The YNT teams are struggling (look at recent U17 and U20 performances) and NT isn't in great shape. As much as ECNL wants credit for NT players, take the criticism when those US National players and teams don't perform. Currently, our development model is flawed and the two biggest culprits/changes to this recent downfall are 1) Jill, April and staff selections and 2) the ECNL.

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2015/06/06 Sat
    12:00 Japan 9-0 Mexico :eek: -- and that's when they're not trying to run it up
    15:00 USA 2-1 Brasil

9+16 (+16-00) 1.Japan
    6-01 (+03-04) 2.USA
    3-09 (+01-10) 3.Mexico
    0-06 (+01-07) 4.Brasil

Well, that leaves no doubt :notworthy:

16. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    OK...I am with you on the Ellis/Hienrivhs side. But please explain the ridiculous comment that follows....How is the ECNL responsible for the flaws in the US Soccer Player Development? Putting together a platform where most of the best talent in the country play each other week in and week out. Yeah...I wish I could turn back the clock 4 years and keep my Daughter on her cute little club team with unqualified coaching playing crappy competition until we got to nationals....That's a great model for development.

17. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    When the worst cycle in the history of the female YNT program coincides with the formation of a national, youth league monopoly in the same time period, how do you not question it?

You can’t have it both ways: claim you are the elite player development platform but then not be partly responsible for the elite level (National Team) where those developed players go.

18. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Do you think the US would be better on the path it was 5 years ago???? If you do you are on drugs. I personally think the issue is with the coaching and scouting. US Soccer is guilty of bringing in a short pool at every age. Does this include non-ECNL girls? Absolutely!. The US Soccer Youth System is BROKEN. The ECNL is more apt to help it repair than take it deeper

19. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only mentioned the ecnl to be facetious in response to the article germans referenced. I find ecnl's efforts to justify its existence to be ridiculous, desperate, and unnecessary.

20. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    #70 South American, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Nothing against ECNL it looks like it is here to stay but writing articles about its glowing success is a little premature to say the least. I think I first read that article the day after the u20's.. fully laden with ECNL players lost to Japan 3-0. That coming off the recent u17 failure to qualify and the 2014 U-20 WC collapse. Not blaming ECNL, but not giving it credit where credit isn't due..the USA has won as many U20 World Cups, full team WC's Olympics etc as any country in the world pre ECNL That being said anything to improve the system is a welcome addition especially in the area of coaching and player evaluation..

21. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm not sure what these comments about the ECNL are, it sounds like you had a bad experience or just have a wild hair up your Ars about that league! Get over it.
    Getting back to the U-20's, everyone could see that the system invoked, lack of technical and tactical ability and Coaching was weak.

Going forward what this team needs is a "BluePrint" for success! There is a good player-pool of talent, find the players who enjoy playing together and bond on and off the field. The older players actions speak louder than words. Get rid of the cancers!
    Second, find the players who actually know how to play soccer(knowledge over talent; the Japanese is a great example). More sophistication with quick decision making! Technically gifted players need to move to the head of the class, First-Touch, holding the ball, dribbling and passing to your teammate are a must! Heading is a bonus since many players have trouble with this. Soccer IQ(formation/structure) and a Competitiveness(win in the fight) can beat the less advanced teams(Mexico) and adding never die Attitude can get you over the hump!
    We need players who are "Students of the Game" players who watch the pro-game and learn from it!
    Lastly, this team needs better Coaching, Scouting and Training! We need a Coach who can surround himself/herself with "Great" Assistants who maybe better Coaches than the Head Coach and not afraid to speak their minds. Also Assistants who aren't friends. They are hired to Coach, Train, Develop and Win Championships!
    To many Coaches scratching other Coaches Backs. I see some of the players they invite to these camps and some of those players don't have a chance. The present Coaching and Core players shut them out! If things don't change we will have the same results we had in 2014 and everyone will say " we had 2 years, why didn't we make changes"!
    Finally, the youth programs are in trouble we are sacrificing youth development for the all-mighty buck! Just think if US Soccer could get on the same page as the youth soccer programs and vice-versa to develop a system to teach a pool of great players how to play this great game! These players are out there now go get them! The sky's the limit!

22. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Thanks for not being sure what all the ECNL claims are and then supporting them with some of your post.

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #73 luvdagame, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    the difference between the movement and passing skill of the japanese and u.s. girls is stark and embarrassing.

there is not as big a gap on the men's side. ussoccer seems to be getting some of it right on the men's youth side with the development academy. some good technical players coming out of that program.

is there no development academy for the girls?

24. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    German, I'm not affiliated with any youth league and don't support any league, one way of another. I do support USA soccer especially girls and women soccer. Some of the posters have bad feelings about one league versus another I don't have any feeling either way. I feel like USA Soccer can be better and hope parents, Coaches and yes players strive to make it better. Soccer/Futbol is a great game! I think the USA could be more dominant only if changes are made.
    As with anything good and especially if money is involved problems start to pop-up. That has been happening for a while and is getting out of control. Everyone can see the rest of the world has gained and some countries have moved ahead of the USA in womens soccer. That should never happen!

Can you give us your thoughts on how to improve youth and Womens Soccer?

25. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    #75 South American, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    I could care less one way or another about ECNL.. The comments were being made about an article praising the ECNL program. A program that to this point has not stood up to the hype. You said it yourself "lack of technical and tactical ability and weak coaching" you can't separate ECNL from the U20's that's where they all came from. I didn't even know what ECNL was until I read the article. It isn't hard to figure out the latest youth teams have not matched what the article claims.