W-League Playoffs [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by ButlerBob, Jul 18, 2005.

1. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Just putting things in a different perspective as you did (Fotop does score lots of goals but you failed to mention the opposition's scoring record in your earlier post).

Fotop's scoring rate per game is ever so slightly higher than either Parker or Wilkinson (on an individual basis) but there are two of them to one of Fotop.

Sure some of the Fury goals were against weak opposition but same goes for the Wildcats.

Advantage - Fury

2. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    True, but with Heather Mitts and Dana Floyd.. you need Fotop luck...

Both the Fury players scored 7 goals in 2 games, tells me they were running up the score. both had 4 in one, 3 in another, the 2 games the Fury won by 19-1 margin.

They had half there production in 2 games

In fact there were 5 games were the pair failed to score.

Sure some of the Fury goals were against weak opposition but same goes for the Wildcats.

OK, but they are playing the Krush

Advantage - Krush...

I won't be online all weekend since i will be at the stadium (Ok it is a field)

3. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    CANFAN your right!! Go Fury Go!!!

I am getting jitters as the big games approach. Only a few more hours to go. Anyone know of web tracking that is available for this?

4. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know someone already mentioned this, (and I think there's already a thread about it....) BUT...

EVERY game of the W-League Championship weekend will be broadcast online using TEAMLINE: http://www.teamline.cc/teampages.html?teamcode=0851

All you need is the latest Windows Media Player.

We're scheduled to hit the airwaves around 4:45pm for the 5:00 kickoff (Eastern Time) and we will have interviews with just about everyone involved. If they are at the game, we'll talk to them. We've got plenty of time to talk because we've got 2 halftimes and a big chunk of time in between games.

If you have any questions, we'll try to get to some email questions/comments (or just let us know that you're listening). Send us your name and location and what club you're cheering for to mail @ sundaynightsoccer.com (I left spaces to try to avoid spammers)

CENTRAL FLORIDA vs. OTTAWA FURY - 5:00pm EST
    NEW JERSEY WILDCATS vs. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS - 7:30pm EST

5. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Read elsewhere the first game went to overtime....score anyone ...please?

6. Bloody Knees

Bloody Knees New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    You may have seen this by now:

Ottowa 2-1

7. WhitecapsFCFan

WhitecapsFCFan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    The Shore
    Congrats to the Wildcats. The better team on the day to be sure!

Go Fury....

8. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Wildcats 2
    Whitecaps 1

Audio broadcast made it sound like each team had some chances to score in the last few minutes. Vancouver had a couple and NJ had one.

Looks like a Canada/USA final - I would have preferred All-Canadian but it could have been All-American too. The teams were all that close.

Wish I was there :)

9. soccerfureek

soccerfureek New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Ohio
    The audio broadcasts rocked (especially since my shout-out to HAO and Cat was mentioned in one of them) and it definitely sounded like the Wildcats owned the second game, but both teams had very close chances towards the end.

I wish I lived in NJ right about now.

10. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I just came back from the game - had to leave at the half because I needed to catch a bus connection to Trenton; didn't have a car tonight. If it wasn't for Vancouver's goalie, it probably would have been 6-1, she was that in the zone. The monkey is off the Wildcats' backs, officially, from last year. Now Ottawa will see a full-strength NJ team, not the one from a couple weeks ago.

The main question from the first game was...where was Heather Mitts? Chargefan who posts here said she'll be here Sunday, but that doesn't explain why she wasn't here tonight. I really felt bad for the Krush; Karyn Eusey is one of the classiest acts in women's pro soccer and a former Charge alum. She and Fotop deserved a bit better. But they didn't exist last year and they got to within an overtime of the final. They have nothing to be ashamed of, since nobody, I suspect, thought they'd even have a winning record, let alone the final four.

I'm as big a fan of Marinette Pichon as there is, but Heather O'Reilly makes her look like she's in slow motion.

11. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    According to the webcast, Heather wasn't at the game because she has ESPN duties tomorrow (or should I say today, since it's already Saturday). But, she's taking the redeye Saturday to play the game on Sunday.

12. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    SOME pics are up....

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze80pxf/chargesoccer/id25.html

Mitts is flying in Sunday for the game, She has to do the MLS thing today

One bad non call on a blatant foul in the box lost it for the Krush...

I know reffs are hesitant to make the call but let them square off.... PK's can be and are missed

Krush was getting overpowered late in REgulation but played bettine in the OT (except for the goal)

13. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    That doesn't cut it; Chastain is the third one on MLS telecasts; couldn't Heather have said that she was needed on the Krush last night?

Not you, Gousa, the reasoning that ESPN has first dibs on Mitts before her own team.

14. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Final W-League awards announced tonight, and a shocker for Most Valuable Player:

Defender of the Year - Reddick (so not the shock :D )
    Coach of the Year - Lee Horton, Charlotte (Bill Eissle of Central FL was jobbed here, IMO)
    U-19 Player of the Year - Melissa Dobbyn, Detroit
    MVP - Dobbyn (!!) - 5th overall in points, 4th in goals, 2nd in shots. Surprising to say the least...

15. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Paul,

I could tell you stories.... basically, she left her team to sink or swim... Against Ottawa I thought this would be a higher scoring game without mitts but the Krush played well

no reason she could not have flown out after the game, besides a monkey ccan do the sideline job, it is same 5 questions every week....

sorry she is just not on my list of favorites

Maybe she she won't show tomorrow as it is only the 3rd place game, cant be that important for her

16. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    do the W-USL players earn salary or bonus ? if they do, how much ? thanks.

17. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Consolation Finals:
    Vancouver 3 - Central Florida 1

Finals:
    New Jersey 3 - Ottawa 0

18. FutbolfanLorenzo

FutbolfanLorenzo New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    LeBlanc had another great game. She wasn't challenged much, but she had some very good saves.

Great to see Unitt. I suspect she'll be heading back to Fulham for they're upcoming season. Hopefully she'll rejoin New Jersey next season.

Ottawa did not look good at all. NJ's defense had Ottawa out of sorts the whole match.

Congrats to NJ Wildcats! :)

19. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $0

All amateurs.

20. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    I know another tar heel played for ottawa..robyn gayle(sp) Did I miss her on the field...could have sworn I heard the announcer say she was playing during the starting line ups?

21. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    So, those two girls came from england who play for wildcat will only be spending money here ? doesn't make any sense at all. I believe they make a little under thousand dollars.

22. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    W-League players sign contracts with the teams for $0. They can earn money by working at summer camps or by doing soccer clinics. Some stay with host families so they have lower living expenses. I can't speak for those two players specifically.

23. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    so what is the advantage of playing soccer ?

24. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love of the game.

Love of competition.

Love of the team concept.

Same as why the guys who are out of college still play in the PDL. It is not all about the money.

Some of the women are still in college. Others have full-time jobs. Others are there to stay in shape for their other leagues.

25. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they do provide her with a pay check and some what steady employment during the year. I would say that probably give them first dibs. ;)