W-League Playoffs [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by ButlerBob, Jul 18, 2005.

1. WhitecapsFCFan

WhitecapsFCFan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    The Shore
    I wonder what size crowds will show up? It surprises me that the Wildcats
    don't draw more given the quality they put on the field. Hopefully they've done a good job marketing for this weekend.

4 good teams....let's get it on.

2. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    I hope they get a great turn out as well. I know that durring regular season play I had an opprutunity to see the Toronto Ottawa game in Toronto and they had a turn out of about 2000 people.

3. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

Cat Reddick and Christie Welsh were away with the United States Women's National Team for its game against Iceland while Heather O'Reilly, Kendall Fletcher, and Lindsay Tarpley were all with the US Under-21 National Team in Sweden for the Nordic Cup. In addition, England star Rachel Yankey was still out of the country while youngsters Tobin Heath and Elisabeth Redmond were with their club team PDA Wildcats preparing for the US Youth Soccer U-17 National Championship.

AND 1-0 is still 1-0, wildcats had a couple of good chances to tie it up

They were outplayed and still held them to 1 goal without the missing players.

Point is moot, because the Krush are gonna win friday anyway... Fotop is a scoring machine. I like Swietek(sorry for the spelling) but Fotop is just lucky, always has been

4. d1dad

d1dad New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    What time for the two W-League playoff games on 8-5-05 at Mercer County Park?
    Thanks in advance

5. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    You go charge fan I'm with you

6. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the USL site:

CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND SCHEDULE
    The championship weekend will feature semifinal matches on Friday, August 5th followed by the consolation and championship matches on Sunday, August 7th. The championship game will be broadcast live to over 30 million homes on the Fox Soccer Channel.

AUGUST 5
    Semifinal #1 - 5 PM
    Semifinal #2 - 7:30 PM

AUGUST 7
    Consolation Match - 4:30 PM
    Championship Match - 7 PM

I believe the Vancouver/NJ game is first, but someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

7. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    W-League's version of a twi-night doubleheader...

Central Florida-Ottawa kicks off Friday's soccer festivities; NJ-Vancouver will be the nightcap.

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I think MCCC is scaled to seat 1,300 (Chargefan?), but one of the Wildcats press releases in the past year said they'd try to put more temp seating in for the weekend.

9. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    They upped the seating to 3000 with temp seating being installed

Year end Honors are out - Congrats to Karina and Kasey

W-League 2005 Statistical Awards annnounced
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USL News Release

Tuesday, August 2, 2005

TAMPA, FL – United Soccer Leagues announced the official 2005 season statistical award winners for the Premier Development League and W-League. USL also announced the Week 15 Teams of the Week Tuesday, honoring Minnesota’s Melvin Tarley and Harrisburg’s Sumed Ibrahim as the Players of the Week.

In the W-League, five players won statistical awards for the 2005 season.

The New Jersey Wildcats’ and Canadian international Karina LeBlanc was the Goalkeeper of the Year for finishing with a 0.10 goals against average as she allowed just one goal in 901 minutes of action.

For the second time in three years, an Ottawa player won the Scoring Championship with Canadian international Rhian Wilkinson finishing the season with 38 points on 13 goals and 12 assists. She finished one point ahead of Canadian international Kelly Parker, who shared the 2002 honor with former Ottawa player Jeanette Akerlund.

Toronto Lady Lynx forward Kim Warner won the Goal Scoring Championship with 15 goals, one more than Boston’s Marisa Brown.

Wilkinson also finished in a tie for the Assist Leader award with New Jersey Wildcats and US youth international midfielder Kacey White.

The W-League Championship will be determined this weekend when the Central Florida Krush, Ottawa Fury and Vancouver Whitecaps join the host New Jersey Wildcats in Trenton, NJ. The semifinals are Friday with the championship live on Fox Soccer Channel Sunday, August 7 at 7:00 pm ET.

10. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto
    I guess you were at the game. If so it did not watch much of it. NJ's chaces were few and very far between. Needless to say that NJ may have played a diffrent game with some of these players back. But I really don't think that the game could have been that diffrent. The fury are that good. Let's be frank, at this level with the teams that are left there will not be any blow outs - Remember that last year the Cats edged the fury by one goal to advance to the final, where they ultimatley lost by one. This year its going to be a FURIOUS FINAL!!

11. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto

Congrats to the Fury members that made the board this year!! Way to go girls!!. I must say though that I am upset there are not any Defence awards available. Other than the keeper awards, we should celebrate the back line a little more.

12. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Go Canadians!! Looks like Canucks "swept" all the awards -- well, sorta, as Rhian shared the assist award with Kacey, but nonetheless!!

Congrats to 'em all!

13. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

i was not at the game, but the WIldcats do a webcast of their games... granted sometimes it is weighted in favor of the Cats. I read the accounts also

They lost the finals on PK's not goals

they have more players to support the team this year, last year they had a limited amount of players due to commitments. very different outcome this year

GO KRUSH (Sorry, my favorite player is on that team, and she is not named Mitts)

14. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChargeFan, have you changed your team color's for the Championship? :D :D :D Make sure the Wildcats don't see you enter the facility wearing a Krush t-shirt.

15. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True! Most defenders are lucky to get a "I couldn't have done it without my defense" pat on the back quote from the GK.

But unfortunately in the outdoor game it is too difficult to keep individual stats. In indoor at least you can keep track of blocked shots.

16. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    If last year holds true now, then we should find out the Defender, Rookie and U-19'er of the year tomorrow, Coach of the Year on Thursday and the MVP on Friday.

17. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    It's Swiatek. And you're right about Fotop - she does score goals and always has. But Wilkinson and Parker have 27 goals and 75 points between the two of them compared to Fotop's 9 goals and 23 points. Advantage Ottawa.

Good to see the awards dominated by Canucks, reminiscent of last year's NCAA's. It will be interesting to see Karina face her Canadian/Vancouver teammates. They probably know some things about shooting on her.

18. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Goals Games
    14 14 Parker, Kelly Ottawa Fury Women
    13 12 Wilkinson, Rhian Ottawa Fury Women

And they played in 10 games(combined) more than she did

8 games, 9 goals is not bad... Mind you the times that they lost were when Fotop and Mitts were not playing, they were still a really good squad with depth though... you are swaying the stats without the full picture (I am being good natured about this and not being an arse)

Advantage - Krush

19. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I have to Wear my Wildcats Staff Shirt, don't worry, i will be all Wildcats for the Finals.

but I will be cheering on the Krush

ALL THE GAMES WILL BE WEBCAST... GO TO www.njwildcats.com just before gametime

20. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    On second thought, there are good reasons for Whitecaps fans not to abandon all hope. The team has momentum behind it. They're probably playing their best soccer right now. Thorlakson has been sprightly of late, despite missing many shots, and she's critical to the team's success. I think the young players have yet to put it all together this season. They have the potential to reach a higher level. The Wildcats have the disadvantage of not seeing many teams that play like the Whitecaps. They also have the problem of bringing together again players who have been with away with other teams.

With regard to Wilkinson and Parker, those number don't mean very much because they're against different opposition, and Ottawa faced some very weak teams.

21. WhitecapsFCFan

WhitecapsFCFan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    The Shore
    Glad to hear it....you really had me worried there....:rolleyes:

22. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto

Hey let's be fair. There are not many teams with the fire of the Fury behind them. So yes they had a few blow out games. But that also is a credit to the finishing of the team. To simply discount what Parker and Wilkinson did this year by saying they faced weak teams is an insult. You also insinuate by making a statement like that, that Vancover only faced powerhouses during regular season play, which is not true at all. Come on give a little credit when it is due guys :)

23. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I did not say anything about weak teams(the wildcats did not face many powerhouses)

I give them all the credit, and if Karen Eusey was not on the Krush, I would be rooting for them

24. DEFENCE_FIRST

DEFENCE_FIRST New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    T.O
    Club:
    Toronto

You did not say anything about weak teams but "bythesea" sure did.

25. TomFODW

TomFODW New Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Cranbury NJ, USA
    Re: W-League Playoffs

Email me (tomfodw@mac.com) and I'll see if we can work something out.