W-League playoff picture

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by StarCityFan, Jun 28, 2009.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's done by points earned/maximum possible points earned, the latter being 3*number of games played. HV has won the regular-season championship at this point by winning their last game.

Official numbers are here.

Official playoff page is here.

2. eastcoastsocer

eastcoastsocer New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Looking at the rosters of the Northeast Teams - Hudson Valley, Washington and Boston were stacked. They had women from all over the country. The other rosters from LI, NJ, CT, NY and WMass looked very weak. I tried to find the colleges the women went to and they were not impressive. The CT team played several high school players. The NJ team was full of Philly and NJ schools. The LI team had several kids from NY schools. WMass was full of CCSU and U Hartford. NY was all NY kids as well. No wonder the top 3 ran away with everything.

This league needs to do a better job with having the top teams play each other. There were 12-0 and 7-0 scores and nobody wins in those games. A waste of time for everyone.

Have a 10 team national league for the top teams that have women looking to get into the WPS so they can play each other.

3. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    I agree with you eastcoastsoccer, but it's impossible with money and travel. And I mean impossible. That's what these W-League Playoffs are for.

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had some discussion of that idea on this thread. It would be wonderful to have an elite W-League division where teams like the Pali Blues, FC Indiana, Washington, Hudson Valley, Ottawa, and Atlanta could face up against each other repeatedly over the course of a season. Unfortunately, as cobi13 notes, the W-League just doesn't have the budget for that kind of travel. Just doing it in the playoffs is hard enough.

There have been "haves" and "have-nots" in the W-League for as long as I've been following it. It does make for some ugly games, but then there are some interesting upsets as well. This year there's been more parity than usual, possibly due to most of the best players going to WPS, with no team compiling a perfect record. Perhaps that will start a trend toward greater evenness.

5. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Official playoff match schedule:

So in the East we're getting Atlanta vs Charlotte, Part III instead of Atlanta vs Boston. Weird. Has any other team in W-League history NOT chosen to go to the playoffs?

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official article with playoff schedule is here.

That is odd about Boston, but maybe they figured it wasn't worth the trouble to go to Atlanta just to lose (most likely) in their one match down there. Charlotte at least is (much) closer.

On another note, it seems a little unfair to make the Freedom play Tampa Bay rather than Charlotte. The Freedom are the top seed in the tournament and should therefore play the weakest team.

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Central Conference Divisional game, the Buffalo Flash easily beat the Quebec City Amiral, 5-0. Their reward will be to face the 10-0-2 FC Indiana Lionesses on their home turf on Friday.

8. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed scoring that game, but from what I understand, Buffalo started their new Japanese forward that game, Rie Sawai. Supposedly the tandem of Pam Conti and Sawai came up big in the offensive end of the field - supposedly, they very easily passed around Quebec City's defense.

I was also told that Maria Ruiz was a sub in that game - I have a feeling that the nagging leg injury she was nursing was still bothering her. Her last game she came off the bench for 15 minutes. It's possible that Coach Lines is saving her for Indiana.

Despite being the underdog against Indiana, if Buffalo's Back 4 play big, it's possible to keep the game close. Against Ottawa, the Flash kept it very close, despite losing. Buffalo's offense is very potent, and if given enough room, they can make things happen quickly.

9. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Washington beats Tampa Bay 2-1, goals from Tegeler and Lenczyk. Freedom had a bulk of the possession but were vulnerable to Tampa's fast forwards. Seemed like the Hellenic ran out of gas in the later portions of each half and it cost them.

Charlotte beats Atlanta 2-1 in what was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Charlotte came back with two goals in the final five minutes of the match but they were on the back foot the entire time. Penalty about five minutes from time for handball in the box, but no way it should have been a straight red for the Atlanta player. Then, a few minutes later, a ticky-tack foul was called a few yards from the box, dead center, after the refs had let the players all but mug each other all match. Ozimek's free kick was perfect, over and around the wall and into the top corner, nothing keeper could have done. Officials also missed at least one BLATANT handball in the Charlotte box near the end. Just a disgraceful performance by the entire crew, hopefully they won't get another game at this level.

10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I've seen the W-League Freedom back line burned by fast forwards (Casey Nogueira, anyone?) even when it was populated by our now-WPSers. Does Charlotte have players who can challenge them?

11. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    No. Charlotte didn't get close to troubling Betos outside of dead ball situations with Ozimek. I fully expect Washington to mop the floor with Charlotte if the Freedom are finishing the chances they create.

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's been their one weakness the past couple of years, so we'll see.

Meanwhile, I wonder if Boston's having second thoughts about declining the playoff spot. ;)

13. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so Pali won 5-2 over Colorado Force. Cheney played, but suddenly Tobin has dropped off the roster. WTF?!

14. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Who scored? Who played well?

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the USL scoring summary:

- http://www.uslsoccer.com/stats/2009/1239553.html

Sounds pretty wild - tie game going into the 88th minute, then Pali scores three times.

16. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but Cheney plays and Tobin doesn't? Tobin's off the roster! and Ali Hawkins (UNC roommate/teammate/close friend, played for LA Legends??) has also dropped off the LA roster too!!

Needless to say... i'm VERY, VERY confused.

17. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    **so they fixed it-- Tobin's back on the roster, and Hawk is back on hers... but still... what??

18. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Ottawa beats FC Indiana 2-1 in what has to be considered an upset.

So semi-finals are:

Ottawa vs Washington
    Hudson Valley vs Pali

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The amateurs beat the pros - huzzah! But, yes, that's a bit of a surprise.

Hudson Valley is the #1 seed, while this makes Washington the #2 seed as their regular-season record is better than either Ottawa or Pali. I'd like to see the match played at the Soccerplex, but I felt the same way about the Eastern Conference championship. We'll see if it happens.

20. clyde

clyde New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Maybe Ottawa will surprise everyone and the finals will be in Ottawa. I have no idea on how to compare the 4 teams that are remaining, but I would assume any of them could win!

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they neither play each other nor have any common opponents, there's no way of telling. The Pali Blues look formidable on paper, but then do did FC Indiana and Atlanta, and they're both gone.

22. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
  23. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pali Blue 4, Hudson Valley Quickstrike Lady Blues 0
    Washington Freedom 0, Ottawa Fury 0. Washington wins 3-1 on PKs.

Championship match Friday at 7:30 pm at the Maryland Soccerplex.

24. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Is that confirmed that it's in Maryland? Sadly there won't be a third rematch of Freedom-Quickstrike. Good luck against Pali, they ran all over us. Unfortunately (and I truly mean this without trying to make excuses), perception of the level of play for these teams is so skewed because of poor scheduling.

Pali is a great team, and surely thinks the Hudson Valley is shite. However, HV was down 5 starters because of college. If that same Pali team was to play Washington I would say they would have very good odds of winning, but now they are losing several players, so the Freedom will probably be sitting there wondering how they beat down the Lady Blues 4-0. Who knows, the whole thing is a mess. We'll see what happens. What college players are being lost for Freedom?

25. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final's definitely at the Soccerplex. I have mixed feelings about a third try at the Lady Blues because it would be up your way rather than down here.

The only players I know we'll be without are Christine Nairn and Tiffany McCarty, but we've been without them most of the season due to NT callups, so that's not much of a change. I'll ask the coach if we're expecting any issues along those lines.