W-League late season and playoffs 2011

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by StarCityFan, Jul 4, 2011.

1. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know where Atlanta plays, but the field and facilities of Charlotte Christian are typical high-dollar Charlotte private school facilities, nice permanent stands, adequate parking and a decent synthetic turf field.

2. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Vancouver beats Santa Clarita, 4-3, in a thriller to advance. They did lose Lexi Marton to a red card though in the second half and will be missing her for the semi-finals.

Unless I'm missing something the semi-finals will be:

-Ottawa vs Seattle
    -Atlanta vs Vancouver

3. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, just checked the W-League website which said Ottawa v Seattle, so that's correct. Also, don't know if it's been mentioned but FSC will be showing the Championship match on Aug 1st.

4. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Whitecaps were incredibly lucky to pull that game out. If it had gone to extra time I wouldn't have fancied their chances down to 10 men and missing both starting center backs. If they had lost people would have wondered why the coach took out Martina Franko so early, just before Santa Clarita scored two quick goals.

5. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Game report said that Franko was injured in the 51st minute. This is going to be a problem if she can't play in the next game.

Whitecaps are down to their no. 3 goalkeeper, basically. McNulty hasn't played all season and there's a report Kristen Funk, the starter at the beginning of the season, is injured. McNulty was apparently the back-up last night. Dunnett has been good for one free goal to the other team in the last two games.

I think that Toronto and Quebec are probably at about the same level as they were last year (just from looking at the rosters). Therefore Ottawa has really improved. (Noticed that Christina Julien scored twice for Ottawa on Sunday. It's a sad reminder of the difference between Quebec and France.)

6. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Well at least Atlanta has company in the injured keeper sweepstakes. Baker was out for both playoff games last week. Hopefully she'll be back for the Final Four.

Santa Clarita was missing Edite Fernandes the last couple games. Really hurt them.

7. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just from the recent scores it was clear SC wasn't the same team as earlier in the season.

8. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final is on FSC (delayed until Monday evening). So far I don't see the semis being shown or streamed anywhere.

10. patrickwsu

patrickwsu Member

May 7, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If anyone is travelling for this I'll buy them a beer though. Mad Pizza pre or post match, not beer garden during the game. Ask around, a few people will know who I am. Black polo and black shorts.

(EDIT) I mean at the Sounders women vs. Ottawa match tonight.

11. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Whitecaps 1 Atlanta 1 still early in the first half. Goals by Tomlinson and Weimer. Weimer is playing forward and Leroux is midfielder. No webcast but twittering from whitecapsfc, uslwleague and LexiMarton.

12. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    3-1, Atlanta Silverbacks women are into the Championship! Awesome!!!!

13. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their second time in the championship? I know they made it in 2007.

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The host Seattle Sounders put up a battle but can't overcome the Ottawa Fury (who played with ten from 79' on) and fall, 3-2. So it's Ottawa and Atlanta in the final.

The Silverbacks have made it this far once before, in 2007 when they lost to the Washington Freedom, 3-1, in the final. Ottawa made it the two previous years, losing to the New Jersey Wildcats in 2005 and the Vancouver Whitecaps in 2006, both times by a score of 3-0 (though to be fair the host team won on both occasions). Either way, we will have a first-time W-League champion on Sunday.

15. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I know I'm tempting fate, but...

Ottawa is being exposed in a bad way. Down 3-0 short of halftime and down to 10 after Wetzel sent off.

17. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Silverbacks win, 6-1! Unbelievable effort from a franchise that's had its fair share of postseason heartache in the past.

18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Silverbacks fans would like to note that Ottawa had three of the top individual award winners (and three players on the all-league team), while Atlanta didn't even have any nominees in any category and just one player on the all-league team, Megan Tomlinson, who scored four goals over the course of the weekend.

19. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, Silverbacks.

20. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    By the way, there are Whitecaps videos of their two games (I hesitate to call them game highlights since they only show one team's goals) on www.whitecapsfc.com/videos

21. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. trogdor1009

trogdor1009 New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    why is it that some teams were missing 1 point in the standings?

23. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States