W-League 2010 alignment

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by bythesea, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strangely uneven Eastern Conference, with 5 teams in the Atlantic Division and 7 in the Northeast. They could have moved the Freedom to the former and evened things up. (As it is, the Freedom are the only team in that division who are outside of New York/New Jersey.)

3. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    37 teams in 2009 versus 29 in 2010. The W-League keeps shrinking.

4. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    What happened to the Boston Renegade?

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Boston already has the Aztec in WPSL which fields a Breakers reserve side and now a U23 team, which will most likely absorb some Renegades players. The Renegades, to my knowledge, are exactly that though: absorbed and dissolved (at the W-League level, anyway...MPS is a big club).

7. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Iv been reading and hearing that more and more youth clubs are looking into joining into the WPSL. Is this going to be a new norm?? Do you guys think this is a good thing?? Is WPSL cheaper to start up a operation than WL??

After reading that post about WPSL new clubs in the midwest like Eclipse, StLouis, Ohio Elite etc, looks like there are a few x-WL teams like Ft Wayne and MI that are going to be joining WPSL.

8. NEWatcher

NEWatcher New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Club:
    Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv FC
    The WPSL is cheaper to enter and play in, and it's closer to a club run league, giving the teams greater control for their money. While the W-League has shrunk to 29 teams, I believe the WPSL will be at between 65-75 in 2010, including at least a couple of W-League teams who have made the move across.

I was surprised to see the NJ Rangers and NJ Valkyries both come into the W-League this year, as they are about 10 miles apart. I know that Valkyries (TSF) had applied to come into the WPSL, but were denied as the territory is already taken. the Rangers have hardly set the world on fire in the PDL, so seemed a strange candidate other than having the $$$. Anyone know what the story is with that? From the outside, it looks like USL panicking after losing both the Renegades, and Connecticut from that conference.

9. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Renegades are tied in with MPS on the youth side and Connecticut is tied in with CFC on the youth side.

I heard up here in Mass that Stars were looking to get into WPSL but too many Mass teams already?

LI Fury is tied in with Albertson on the youth side.

Is the 5 team W League going to play each other 3 times a year?

10. NJSG

NJSG New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Morris Plains, NJ
    29 teams, of which seven are from Canada. With 18 teams and a couple of applications pending, the North-east conference of the WPSL has approximately the same number of teams as the entire W-League.

Meanwhile, Pali Blues end up the same conference as Seattle and Vancouver - that's serious travel. If not for Colorado Rush and Santa Clarita coming in at the last minute, it's difficult to see how the west conference could have continued, or how the W-League could still be called a national league being almost entirely in the north-east. As it is, 8 of the 22 US teams are in New York and New Jersey.

11. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I guess with the deflections and only a few added teams the league is turning into the league of the Rich......
    I suggest they lower their entrance fee/league fee or most of the teams will move to the WPSL and the W-League will fold and ....that might not be all that bad.
    Memo to the W-League:
    Entertainment monies are becoming more scarce because of the economy. Spectators don't have the money. The W-league needs to get together and come up with a plan to survive! Or not.

12. NJSG

NJSG New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Morris Plains, NJ
    I know a number of the NJ teams in the W-League are only there because WPSL territories were taken, but USL doesn't care (as you can see by NJ Rangers and NJ Valkyries about 10 miles apart).

The trend seems to be clubs trying to enter the WPSL, and if they can't get in then choosing the W-League as a second choice.

13. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    The W-League has its problems, no doubt. There are a lot of things that need to be addressed, with a Western presence being one of them. However, don't sell it too short. It still does some very good things, and in several ways provides a lot more than the WPSL, including a true club structure that falls under the USL pyramid, which, despite problems with USL-1, is very organized. Sorry to make that sound like a press release.

14. NJSG

NJSG New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Agreed, and there's no doubt that USL has played a significant role in the development of soccer in US. However, I think the bigger picture of USL's current problems is that clubs and teams at all levels will be looking around for club-owned alternatives, rather than one body owning it all. NASL and NPSL met this past weekend to discuss collaboration moving forward, and with a nascent YPSL providing a vastly cheaper youth option for those leagues, there may well be the start of an alternative and cheaper pyramid, with clubs having a stake and a say in how things are run.

Nothing is certain, but if I were a betting man, I'd be gambling on a vastly different soccer pyramid five years from now, and the movement pf womens teams to the WPSL is the first rather than the last part of the picture.

15. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Anyone hearing who the new HC will be for the Pali Blues since he is moving up to the HC with LA Sol??

16. Darius Tor

Darius Tor New Member

May 7, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened with West Michigan?

17. NJSG

NJSG New Member

Apr 25, 2009