VSI Tampa General thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by time4wine, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hopefully VSI will get something solidfied. Especially if Rowdies get a deal done with St Pete to have Al Lang remodeled for soccer. VSI could take over a good portion of the Tampa market.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not without, you know, actually actively going after it.

3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I gotta agree with Kenn. When teams like VSI, Dayton, and LA Blues don't draw flies, there are people who rush to rush to their defense by saying things like, "Well, they're more interested in their academy than selling tickets..."
    And they say this like it's supposed to make me go, "Oh, well that explains it. Carry on."
    Nope. Unless someone at VSI decides that it's worth their while & money to advertise/evangelize then they will never grow.
    Not that it means anything, but if you went out on any major Tampa street and stopped 100 people and asked them if they had EVER heard of VSI Tampa, how many do you think would say, "Yes"?

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if "they're more interested in their academy" is a defense, per se. I mean, it's a rationalization, sure, but if you want to run a soccer academy, I'm not 100% sure it needs to be attached to a(n alleged) professional team to be successful. In LA's case, I think it's a case of a bit of vanity on the part of a rich guy. Dayton was (check me if I'm wrong) started by a couple of ex-lower-level players, so I don't know what their motivations were exactly, except it was unlikely to be "create a superclub."

I haven't figured out VSI's actual game in all this. A player development deal is a long-term scenario that would take years to pay off in anyone you could realistically sell somewhere (assuming you didn't lose the rights to them through any one of the multitude of machinations possible there).

So I'm not sure how much of their complete inability to sell tickets is ambivalence about doing it and how much is an inability to put the strategy in place to do so (coupled with some strange 1970s thinking about winning solving everything or favorable demographics or something).

I do know that one common thread in all three of those organizations is a complete and utter lack of anyone with any actual soccer business experience in any position of authority. That may explain some of it.

As for these guys in Plant City, they've shown they can put together a team on the field that can be competitive in the third division. They were able to pull together a reasonable side with some players who weren't going to play for $100 a game. What they haven't shown is that they can or will put forth the effort to actually act like grownups and sell and market what they have.

They're absolutely NOT just going to become "Tampa's team" just because the other guys are on the other side of the Bay unless they actually DO something.

DrAnguish repped this.
  5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see if they actually try to do some of the big ideas they had before this season. Of course, I've learned enough from the USL to know not to expect anything.

They could definitely use a few people who actually know what they're doing.

6. FutbolenFL

FutbolenFL New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    New member here. This has been a great thread, especially for someone new to the area like me!

My question is regarding VSI next year. Is there a deadline regarding when they would have to make their decision to keep playing or not? This may be league-mandated or a result of practical circumstances (e.g. finding a stadium).

7. tampasteve1

tampasteve1 Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Strikers
    Jul 21, 2009
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome! I am not sure that there is a hard set time frame, aside from the start of the season. Since USL did not seem to care much about VSI's stadium ambiguity even after the season had started I doubt they would care too much this year if the same ends up the case. That said, they have not made any new announcements since August and their Facebook and Twitter accounts have been silent on any new season for the pro teams. But that does not seem out of character for VSI....

8. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL is pretty flexible with teams when it comes to enforcing timeline violations, as they have to be.
    Tampa Bay looks like they're going quietly into the night though. After disasterous attendance in season
    one, and not looking like they have anything going for 2014, I'm not too optimistic about a return. Same with Phoenix FC Wolves who got their owners kicked out of the league, and USL announced new ownership, but won't say who. I think it's possible we could be seeing two, one and done teams for 2013.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is a Annual General meeting (AGM)the beginning of Dec with all the club in the league. We should know who will be back for 2014 at that point with the schedule typically come out the first part of the year.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious about a lot of stuff for next season, will there be Phoenix FC, VSI Tampa Bay, OKC? Do the LA Blues want to continue to bleed money for another season?

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah lots of questions. I would love to be a fly on the wall at the AGM

12. tampasteve1

tampasteve1 Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Strikers
    Jul 21, 2009
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Side note, the project website www.vsi-stadium.com does not seem to load any longer and the website for PRI Partners is for sale and is currently just for some aggregate/link site and not for the company any longer.

13. FutbolenFL

FutbolenFL New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thanks for all the responses, you're all on top of your game! Another question I have, and I apologize in advance if it was discussed upthread (only started reading from about page 15), but are there territory restrictions between NASL and USL? In other words, how did VSI get a team so close to the Rowdies?

14. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actual structures of the NASL and USL don't work together at all. See the current legal battle for a team in Oklahoma City as an example.

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    think for NASL and USL PRO as Burger King and McDonalds (Or maybe a better analogy would be to mom and pop diners, across the corner from one another)

Killersheep and SoccerPrime repped this.
  16. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard on very good word that VSI will be pushed out of the USL Pro this offseason, but they'll continue to operate their PDL and W-League clubs. Announcement coming soon!

Bluesfan repped this.
  17. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but I'll wait for official word. Seems the most logical thing to do though.

18. FutbolenFL

FutbolenFL New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I may be out of my depth here, but my understanding was that NASL is the officially-sanctioned 2nd division of US soccer and USLPro is the officially-sanctioned 3rd division?

Edit: Also wanted to ask if anyone knows if there is a territory restriction given to NASL teams? Not trying to hijack the thread, but it seems pertinent to the discussion.

19. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I guess we'll know for sure by the AGM what's going on.

On the question franchise territory restrictions. I'm sure each league has territory restriction for each franchise. That's some thing that is determined by each league. It's a common business practice for any type of franchise. If for example you buy a Subway franchise, no one else can open up another one within a certain distance. These tend to vary from company to company. From a ULS stand point I'm curious to know if the restrictions are just for a specific level or for all levels. For example I buy a ULS Pro franchise in my home town of Butler PA. Can someone come in and also start a PDL or W-League team in the same town or area? On a side note, Butler is probably in the protected territory of the Riverhounds.

20. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the LA Blues are going to start selling season tickets in January, so there's a sign that they will be back.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At one point the territory you got with your franchise was 90 miles. I remember that when Syracuse started their team and they were just inside the Rochester territorial rights.

That said, they may have relaxed that some. I don't think it is 90 miles from Orlando to Tampa Bay.

22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes NASL is official D2 and USL Pro is official D3.

VSI Tampa Bay was/is just a bad idea, they drew hundreds only with a good team and the competition NASL Tampa Bay Rowdies increased their attendance this year from just over 3000 per game last season to just over 4000 per game this year. It would be equally as stupid for NASL to try to expand to Sacramento for instance. They both don't need to waste resources competing in the same markets.

brentgoulet and ManuSooner repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it is 85 miles between Orlando and Tampa (downtown to downtown). But its only 63 miles between Plant City (VSI) and Orlando (and 45 miles between Lake Buena Vista and Plant City).
    :)

Killersheep and Mikey mouse repped this.
  24. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+