Alert: Vote for Possible Names for Miami MLS team

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Nov 11, 2008.

1. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Atletico and Deportivo are the names of two big rivals of Barcelona at La Liga and A.C. (Milan) is a big European Rival. Those names are just not going to happen.

2. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Miami FCB of Americas

3. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    If the league is ever to be accepted by mainstream America, it must avoid using overseas club names. Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA are bad enough but Barca Miami would be the pits. Miami Millionaires FC?

4. astheworldburns

astheworldburns New Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I like that name a lot. Good idea.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you prefer names like the Orlando Sharks or DC United? Its Euro-posing or cuddly animals. You can't have it both ways. ;)

6. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    If you think a Shark is a cuddly animal then I would prefer that, but perhaps you had in mind the Miami Moggies with the cheerleaders being the Stroked ************** :D

7. TO2988

TO2988 New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Deportivo Miami

8. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't have to be a euro name. The best names mentioned so far are South American or Latin names. Deportivo Miami or Atletico Miami sound great. Even someone like me who doesn't speak a lick of spanish can embrace those names.

9. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could live with them. If you consider the city the team should be in a name like the 2 you mentioned would be a good fit.

I do not like Barca Miami or any derivative like it, although I could live with FCB Miami. I like Miami Millionaires. It is good. I attended a game in the Orange Bowl ages ago between Tottenham Hotspur & a team from Columbia named Los Milionarios (please excuse my spelling...:eek: ..) from Bogota, IIRC. Miami Millionaires would fit the very, very Latin city of Miami quite well IMO.

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The animal isn't. The mascot, however, would be. :p

11. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Miami Armada as team name.

Why not suggest this in the team name thread? Anyway, I'm not too big a fan of "Armada". It doesn't really represent Miami or South Florida at all, as we were never a major naval hub for any country that controlled the area. That nickname is a bit too "Americanized" to be honest. I like the American style nicknames, but they have to be perfect for a soccer team. The only one that I think could work for this team would be Miami Fusion, because not only does it represent the mix of peoples and cultures as it was originally intended to, but now it would represent the mix of FCB and Marcelo Claure, Florida and Spain, etc.

12. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't want to spoil your enthusiasm, but I don't like it. We are not known as a military area. I think it's more of a supporters club name.

13. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    miami thunder......hahaha [​IMG]

14. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Ewww.. please don't bring up the most horrible, uninspired logo and uniform designs in the history of pro sports. I'd say it's Clay Bennet's punishment for stealing the Sonics from Seattle, but he's the one that gave the final OK on the designs probably. Notice the total lack of lightning bolts, storm clouds, or dark threatening colors in their identity. "Hey guys, we're gonna call the team the Thunder! So please go ahead and use the most generic image you can find and bright friendly colors!" ugh it's so bad lol.

15. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

im sorry here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not quite. The actual Armada that is remembered in history was Spain's attempt to invade England during the reign of Elisabeth I to remove her and put a Catholic king in her place. Thanks to some English seafaring daring and a rather fortunate storm they failed. Elisabeth remained. Protestantism survived. England began it's rise to becoming a world power and bedeviled Spain for the next 2 centuries.

Florida played no part in this. Not even Spain's fortress & city of St Augustine influenced any of it. And, the Armada never came to the new world. It's one sortie was through the English Channel.

Thanks for the idea. At least you presented something, which is more than I have done, but, sadly, it doesn't work.

17. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It isn't. The power plant FPL has at Turkey point works on fission, not fusion. The idea behind the fusion name was the blending or joining of the various people and cultures from the US, Latin America, the Caribbean and elsewhere into one by becoming fans of the team. Nice idea. It looked like it was beginning to work when the franchise went belly up. Hopefully, FCB can succeed where another failed. We'll see....:)

18. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Miami Matadores

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought of a new possibility:

"Cultural Miami"

Nickname: Pumas

20. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    lmao miami is not in spain..

miami islanders

21. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami Beach is on an island, Miami isn't. Many of the city's 1st residents were from The Bahamas. They are a small minority today. The thousands of Haitians, Jamaicans, Trinidadians, et al are from an island. Possibly this could be Miami's connection to "Islanders".

Neither one seems to fit, by what seems to be your criteria, but Matadors has a nice Spanish ring to it - which could make the folks from Barca happy - along with the "M" starting each word.

I think this naming process is going to be a bit more complex that we all thought it might be..:p

22. Fireshnake

Fireshnake New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Tallahassee, FL
    Club de Futbol Barca Miami

or in short

CFB Miami

23. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    clube miami

24. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not the Miami Mullets?......:rolleyes:

25. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mullets? WHat is that suppose translate to? how does that tie in with Miami?