Visual Arts Draft

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by Caesar, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    As suggested by Iceblink...

Anyone interested in participating in this? Post below if you're in. Also, post any suggestions for rules.

Possible rules (just throwing suggestions out there).
    • Limiting the scope (has been suggested just painting, photography and sculpture)
    • 10 rounds
    • Limited number of drafters (say 10)
    • 12 hour pick limits
    • Reversing the draft order after each round
    Also possibility of a panel of judges.

So, post below if you're in - first come, first served as always. So far:

Iceblink
    GringoTex

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    One Question:

Are we picking just artists, or are we doing individual works of art?

And obviously, I'm in.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Up to the drafters, I guess.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Should be works of art, I think.

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say artists.

And I'm in.

6. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Definately.

Mostly cause I'm gonna love to see which of that hack Rothko paintings someone's gonna pick over the rest. They're so frickin' diverse that it's just so hard to choose.

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Iceblink
    GringoTex
    redcard816
    Matt in the Hat

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You're just jealous because you don't look at paintings...or was that read books?

9. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I enjoy paintings. Went to school for it.

It's reading I don't believe in.

My birth parents were killed by reading.

10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think I agree with Matt. If only because if 10 people each have only 10 draft picks, that's 100. If we had more people picking for far more rounds, then it would get really hard doing just artists.

Maybe I'm just retarded. I dunno. Just having us pick 100 works of art we fancy most seems a little ... dull. At least by picking artists, we could post 3 works of art to support our choice. And maybe make us think outside the typical artists everyone knows.

(Not that I know anyone's taste level, but if I have to see nothing but Dali, Renoir, Monet, Warhol, etc. I'll puke.)

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Probably a good idea. There's just way too much great art out there, and many of the great artists are way too prolific. But then, you don't want to disadvantage great artists with only a few works (or a few surviving works).

How's this for a possible compromise - you draft an artist, but the entry in the draft is limited to a selected portfolio (say, 1-3 works) of the drafter's choosing? Not sure if that's a good idea, just throwing it out there.

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think I like that idea.

What does everyone else think? Other than me being an overdemanding bitch?

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'm in, but I doubt I'll even try to 'win' this one--it will be solely a representation of my taste.

14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we just did a classical music draft, and we drafted works, and I found it difficult and very interesting to see what people chose.

There were several Mozart pieces picked, for example... but the Magic Flute and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik are so completely different that picking them up in one fell swoop seems like too much.

I almost feel the same way about this draft.

It would be the same as picking all the Frank Lloyd Wright houses and not have one person pick Robie House and one pick Falling Water... and I bet people would run out of choices more quickly.

Anyway, I am for single works... not artists and not multiple works by one artist.

In other words, I prefer this post...

1. "Aw man... I wanted to pick Der Glockenstubenfreudensteiner by Herbert Gluckenberg!!!! I guess I'll have to pick my next favorite work by him, Die Staufenhabernachtmittenhassenpfeffer instead!"

over ....

2. "Aw man... I wanted to pick Herbert Gluckenberg!!!! I guess I'll just have to pick some other German surrealist artist instead."

I dunno....

I'm trying to avoid naming actual artists to give my examples, but it's hard.

Anyway, I don't think we'll get all that much repetition. I think our tastes will be different enough.

15. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please... while we're certain to see some of those... BigSoccer posters are far too pretentious to limit themselves to those.

16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I know I intend to be pretty pretentious.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    How do you guys want to do this? This is going to take more than a month, and that means it's going to be interrupted by Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year. Do you want to start after Thanksgiving and take a break over Xmas/NY? Or leave it until January?

I guess we need some more drafters before we think about starting anyway.

18. folha

folha New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    I am in.

I suggest we do piece of art, by doing 15 rounds each, or having more participants. But I also like the idea of being allowed to pick 3 works each round by same artists.

And we can have a week break during Christmas/New Year, cos I will be in Italy at that time.

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in!

(Although my knowledge of the visual arts is much more limited than was my knowledge of classical music!)

I prefer picking single works of art as well. I have no problem naming a name here: I just can't see the #1 drafter picking Michelangelo, for example, and therefore taking everything he ever did (paintings, sculpture, architecture, etc.) in one fell swoop. That's be like picking Beethoven with the #1 pick and thumbing your nose at everyone else. In fact, after the top 3-5, there's going to be a severe drop off once the "superstars" are picked, if we go by artist.

Just my opinion.

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can't come up with a panel of judges (and I'm thinking it will be like the classical music thread - it will be impossible to find judges who don't also want to participate) you can use the judging method we used, which I think worked out well (and I'm not saying that just because I won!) ;) At the end of the draft, each drafter votes for what he/she considers the top three drafts, 3 points for 1st, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd. Can't vote for your own draft.

21. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    That's why I suggested a "portfolio". So if you picked Michelangelo, you wouldn't really be choosing him, you'd choose 3 items he did and that would be your 'pick'. It would be more like picking portfolios, but limiting the entire draft to one portfolio per artist.

I see that as an advantage. There's a hell of a lot of great artists in history, and getting down to the lower rounds and perhaps some slightly more obscure stuff is where people get to show their knowledge. I usually like the lower halves of most drafts, because that's where the interesting picks are.

All that said, it appears that the overwhelming preference from drafters so far is a straightforward item draft. Is everyone happy if that's the way we decide to go?

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    1. Iceblink
    2. GringoTex
    3. redcard816
    4. Matt in the Hat
    5. YankHibee
    6. folha
    7. Sachsen

23. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just wonder, though... some people will feel the need to pick three. There are some artists for whom I'd only pick one. There are some who only created one piece of art of note.

Would this skew things too much to the one who gets three great paintings by So-and-so over a person who takes one painting by blah-and-blah.

I like the competition of having to find a painting that's almost as good as the one that the previous drafter stole in order to get that artist... but always knowing that the other guy has the good one... that kind of things... better competition.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't wait to see who takes this:

[​IMG]