Visting Seattle / Sounders Game Info Thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Yoshou, May 4, 2012.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Yoshou, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    I thought we had a "coming to seattle" thread, but doesn't look like it has made the transition yet and/or it disappeared into the ether. Either way, might as well start a new one

Sounders Info:

Here's the current seating chart for CenturyLink Field:

[​IMG]

Where to park:
    - There is covered parking at the 4th Ave S, near the King Street Station of Amtrak/Sounder trains. There is also another covered parking at the Wamu theater (Entrance is at S Royal Brougham Way). Rates are dependent on the opponent but are usually around $20.
    - If the Mariners aren't playing, the Safeco field is also open for covered parking (Entrance is at Edgar Martinez Dr S). Rates are around $10.
    - If you prefer shorter walks and wont mind rain pouring down on your car, the Northern parking lot of CLink is better (Entrance is at S King St/2nd Ave S). This is also a preferred parking lots for Electric Vehicles as there is a charging station here. Rates are around $25.
    - If you don't mind tight parking, there are some small lots beside 1st Ave S. Rates vary per lot but most lots range between $10-$20.
    - If you feel lucky and don't mind a hike, there is a lot of street parking around CenturyLink, some of it is free, but some is also pay. Seattle does not have meters for each spot, so just because you don't see a meter it does not mean that spot is free. Look for a nearby pay station. They look like skinny, green ATM machines and are generally clearly marked with signs.

Where to sit:

Away fans:
    - Visiting fans for most games sit in section 203 and the upper portion for the 300 level sections are closed for most MLS games, with only the smaller "lodge" sections open.
    - You will most likely want to stay away from sections 120 through 123 as those are the Supporters Sections. These sections are also considered obstructed view as ECS does hoist flags, banners, and two poles periodically throughout the game.

Home fans:
    - All 100 level seats are standing seats, so if you are unable to stand for the entire game, you don't want to be in these sections. Prepare to be laughed at if you ask anyone standing in front of you to sit.
    - 120 through 123 is where Gorilla FC and ECS stand, so if you want to join in on the singing and chanting, you may wish to head there.
    - Scattered around the dark green sections on the left side of the image (100, 144-151) is where you'll find the North End Fellowship. They generally aren't as active as ECS and GFC, but will occasionally have pre-game tifo.
    - The 200 level club seats (205-213,231-239) and 300 level seats are sitting sections, but you may, on occasion, have someone standing in front of you. If that is the case, it is okay to ask them to sit, or have an usher to ask them to sit if you aren't comfortable doing that.
    - That wedge shaped seating section on the left of the image (146, 147, 149, 150) is the Hawk's nest. It is a metal bleacher section and quite steep, this is a newly opened area of the stadium so they are still working out the sitting vs. standing situation.

goindownsouth, GoDawgsGo and Revolt repped this.
  2. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Yoshou, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Arriving in Seattle/how to get to a Sounders game:

If you are flying into Seattle and only plan on going to a Sounders game and/or visiting downtown tourist attractions, you probably won't need to rent a car. There is a light rail station just outside the airport terminal on the back end of the parking garage:

[​IMG]

The light rail line runs directly to downtown Seattle and there is a stop by CenturyLink Field that you can use. If you're going to CenturyLink Field via light rail make sure that you get off at King Station/International District stop and not the Stadium Station as King Station is closer to CenturyLink than the Stadium Station is.

Where to stay:
    There are a number of different hotels in downtown Seattle and most of them are reasonably inexpensive. Silver Cloud has a hotel that is literally across the street from CenturyLink, but there are many others in downtown if you're visiting Seattle for more than just a Sounders game.

Where to hang out pre/post-game:
    Just north of CenturyLink Field is an area of Seattle called Pioneer Square. This is one of the "night life" areas of Seattle and there are a number of bars here that will cater to your drinking and eating needs. Just be aware that Fuel, McCoys, and Fado are where the Sounders SGs meet pre/post game, so if you're an away fan, you may wish to avoid these bars, if only because they will be packed to the point of overflow. If you want to join the March to the Match, Pioneer Square is where this starts 60 minutes before kick-off.

Where to eat:
    Seattle has turned into a bit of a foody city and there are a number of good restaurants in downtown Seattle. Sites like Yelp.com can help you find restaurants. Being a coastal city there are a number of good seafood restaurants, the ones on the Seattle waterfront cater to tourists, so you can get a decent meal and have a nice view while you eat.

Where to visit:
    If you're coming to Seattle as a tourist, the prerequisite spots to visit are the Space Needle, Seattle Center, and Monorail. These are all remnants of the 1962 Seattle World's Fair that largely put Seattle on the map. Pike Place Market is another location that is extremely popular and is where you'll find the famous Flying Fish. The Seattle Waterfront is also a popular stop for tourists. The Seattle Art Museum is a good way to spend an afternoon and there are a number of other museums in Seattle you can hit up as well. If you have kids the Pacific Science Center is a must stop, IMHO. Also, if you're going to be in Pioneer Square to see the game anyways, don't miss the Underground Tour. There really isn't much to see, but the tour guides are generally quite amusing and they'll fill you in on all the dirt about the early days in Seattle.

goindownsouth and Revolt repped this.
  3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above two posts aren't meant to be exhaustive. If anyone has anymore suggestions, feel free to add to this thread. Depending on my mood I'll either add it to the posts above, of just leave the post as a stand alone.

4. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    {Mod note} I've copied the contents of this into the first 2 posts. Thanks! {Mod note}

Yoshou repped this.
  5. Grillinnap

Grillinnap Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on visiting Seattle for the Sounders-Chelsea friendly. Does anyone know where the Chelsea players will be training? Thanks.

6. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    For those interested, the King Tut exhibit is currently in Seattle until early January 2013. Probably the last chance to see the exhibit for quite a while.

7. Cethe

Cethe Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year Man U practiced at Seattle U. I dunno if that will hold true for Chelsea though.

8. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Planning to be in seattle for the aug 5 game sounders/galaxy. would like to have info if there is a speccial section for visting team fans and info on getting tickets

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Visiting fans sit in section 203 (see above map). If you want seats in that section, I'd suggest calling the Sounders ticket office at 1-877-657-4625 and asking about away section seats. They usually reserve 100 or so and might have some left. The Galaxy fans usually come in decent numbers and they might have claimed all the tickets, but you never know.

kaburu repped this.
  10. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks.

11. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i checked sounders fc website, nothing available in sec 203. will tryto call the number you gave me.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if there are any left, they'll be reserved and won't show on the site. They won't come available on TicketBastard until a week or two prior to the game.

13. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is ticketbastard?

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TicketMaster. The Sounders sell their tickets through them and they add exorbitant fees upon the price of the tickets. They also, invariably, have a complete cock-up on selling Sounders tickets at least once or twice a season.

15. bowlingballhead

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Hi everybody! (Dr. Nick voice) I'm heading west for a couple of weeks with my mom and my aunt from Poland to see the Pacific Northwest. I'm going to try and get there for the Sounders/Chelsea match on the 18th. Will tickets be available at the gate? I see that they're opening the upper bowl, so good chances? Also, better to stay right downtown and pay the big rates, or stay somewhere on the outskirts and drive in? I plan on spending a few days in Seattle seeing the sights already mentioned earlier in the thread. Coming from northern Minnesota, from the usually cooling shores of Lake Superior (been hot as hell this year). Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Oh, and are backpacks allowed in stadium? For camera, Kleenex, maps, shit like that. Thanks!

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be plenty of tickets available for the Chelsea game. They've only sold 49,000 so far, so that means about 18,000 are still available. Also note that probably around 30,000 of the 49,000 are season ticket holders who had the game included in their ST package, so only about 19,000 or so bought tickets outside of the ST package. You might also keep an eye on Living Social and other similar sites. The Sounders just sold out a deal on there for $35 tickets, which is about half price of the going rate for the Chelsea game.

I'd suggest staying downtown, the price difference in the hotels between inside the city and outside the city will most likely be offset by the cost of renting the car, gas, and parking. If you are staying downtown and only plan on visiting the downtown attractions, I wouldn't worry about renting a car. You can take light rail from the airport to downtown, just make sure to ask the hotel which stop you need to get off at. Most attraction will also be within walking distance, or you can just jump on a bus and it will be a short ride. The ride free zone is still in place and that covers the downtown core and if the downtown attraction isn't in the free zone, it is only a few blocks outside of it.

Backpacks are allowed in the stadium, but it has to be "searched" before they'll let you take it in. You can also bring in outside food and drink, but the drinks can not be open or they make you dump out the contents. There are a ton of vendors outside CenturyLink so if you're thinking of getting food and/or water/soda, make sure to bring some cash and get it outside the stadium and take it in.

17. bowlingballhead

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Thanks for the reply man. Actually gonna be driving out there in the Honda Element. About 1800 miles. First night Glendive, Montana, second night Missoula, third night Seattle.

Found a place called the Silver Cloud Hotel. 254 clams (which is pretty spendy for me), but right next to the stadium looks like. Man, I can't wait.

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, if you're driving anyways, then staying outside is definitely an option. But yes, the Silver Cloud is expensive, but it is literally across the street from the stadium. It should be a good time for you. :) If you aren't going to be wearing Chelsea colors, you might consider partaking in the march to the match. Not that anything bad will happen if you're wearing Chelsea colors, but you'll get a lot of heckling and it might be a little less enjoyable than if you weren't. :)

19. bowlingballhead

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I'm definitely not going to be sporting Chelsea FC. I'm a big MLS fan and will always root for the league over the English. Probably roll in with my Euro 2012 shirt and adorn it with a SSFC scarf that I'll pick up outside the match (I'm assuming ECS has a stand set up outside somewhere selling gear?). I'm pretty excited.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hit Fuel an hour or two prior to the game and you'll find someone more than willing to hook you up with goodies.

http://www.fuelseattle.com/

21. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks i got my ticket from sounders by calling 877-657-4625. ticketbastards are charging more.

22. ItalianConnection

ItalianConnection New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Gaeta, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this so feel free to move it as you please.

I live in Italy and while serie a is my main football league, being American I really want to support MLS and as Seattle is one of my favorite cities I couldn't go wrong supporting the club. My question is.. over here it's impossible to subscribe to MLS Live because of their restrictions so is there a local radio station who broadcast commentary of the matches? If there is I want to see if I can stream it online. Just looking for a way to enjoy their football other then highlights after every match.

Suggestions?

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might try talking to wheezl. He's also American that lives in Italy that is a Sounders fan. He seems to know how to watch MLS live.

24. ItalianConnection

ItalianConnection New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Gaeta, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Awesome thanks for the help. I'll send him a message

25. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My attempts at staying away from Big Soccer have failed. "They keep pulling me back in!"

bgix repped this.