Review: Visiting Firenze? Visited Firenze? Post your thoughts, hints, tips here.

Discussion in 'Fiorentina' started by HuntKop, May 28, 2009.

1. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A visiting poster (thanks, texasoccer!) asked a question about getting tickets to a match while visiting Firenze, and since many, many people make it a destination on their Italian visits, I thought it would be good to have some basic info about getting tickets, etc. available.

If you've been, are going, or are a regular - feel free to post your reviews and hints about where to get tickets, where to park, where to eat, and so on here.

I'll start by linking to my post from 2006 that briefly reviewed my only visit to the Franchi. What a match it was, though, as we beat Reggina for CL qualification. Amazing day. Here's that post:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8423513&postcount=551

The following is a link to a short thread where one of our insiders, leopejo (where are you, buddy??) answered a similar question:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733935

I'll quote one particular part of the post that is important though:

To be more specific, there are two resellers literally within a stone's throw of the stadium. These are both bar/cafes, and totally legit. It's completely different than the way we do things in the US, but there you have it. The first (and where I got my tickets) is Bar Stadio, and here's a Google Maps link to the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&split=1&gl=us&cid=3464283508625885439&li=lmd

The second is Bar Marisa, and here's a Google Maps link to the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&split=1&gl=us&cid=2694427033298751909&li=lmd

Bar Marisa has a website too, here: http://www.barmarisa.it/

On this page http://www.barmarisa.it/bar.asp you can see that one of their services is "Biglietteria Fiorentina" or Fiorentina ticket seller.

In both cases, just go up to the counter and ask for tickets. In terms of language barrier - it wasn't too bad. I know more Italian now, but at the time I think I said something like Fiorentina tickets....due (two), grazie.

We had a fabulous time at the match, and I hope you do as well.

2. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Jesus, holmes. Nice job rounding all of that up.

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    For Texasoccer: If we finish fourth then our preliminary CL round matches will be the weekend of August 18-19 and then again the following weekend. Not sure which would be home and which would be away, though.

4. texasoccer

texasoccer New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Excellent. Thanks for the tip. You guys are making me a real Fiorentina fan. And my wife even loves the fleur-de-lis (not sure how to say this in Italian) on the crest. Great stuff. If I can make this happen I'll definitely add whatever inside knowledge I acquire.

Best regards, Texasoccer (getting ready for the Dynamo game tonight!!).

5. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lily in Italian is Il Giglio. It's my favorite symbol, and has been since I was a child (even before I knew who Fiorentina were) so your wife has great taste. She'll love Florence because they're all over the place, on buildings, carvings, etc.

Good luck - have a great trip!

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been 10 years since I've been to Florence, but there was a great restaurant about 3 blocks west of the train station. I'm going to see if I can find my notes from that trip, but we ate like kings, got free refills on coke for about $9.00.

7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks for the tips! I hope to head over on Jan. 10 to watch Florence-Bari.

8. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's excellent! If you can, come back and tell us how it went afterwards!

9. wolfpackallday

Aug 20, 2009
    Sacramento
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lied, I'm posting my experiences here since this is stickied and since the title is exactly what I'm doing!

So last year I studied abroad in Florence through my local community college. I departed from San Francisco on February 3, 2009 for Frankfurt, Germany. Then flew from Frankfurt to Florence. 15 hours of flying/layover/flying. It was my first time out of the country and the furthest east of my hometown I've ever been (the previous furthest east I travelled was Reno, NV, a one hour drive from my California hometown in the hills.) I lived right in the heart of Florence at Via Faenza 12 for 3 months. A quick look out my window and there was Basilica di San Lorenzo. Walk five minutes and I was on the steps of il Duomo. My first Fiorentina Game was the Derby della Toscana versus Siena at Florence on March 22, 2009. I crammed onto a bus labeled "Stadio" with my group of friends and after a short 20 minute bus ride and a quick walk we were at the Franchi.

I asked my Italian teacher how i would go about getting tickets and she said go to the stadium and that the pubs around the stadium sold the tickets. When I was in a line where I had to give my photo i.d. to a strange man through a hole in the wall I was a little skeptical. It all turned out for the best when he returned my i.d. and handed me a ticket. We had gotten the cheapest possible ticket (I wanted better but I didnt want to sit by myself) and sat in the general admission section opposite of Curva Fiesole.

Before the game even started the stadium was sheer pandemonium. The crowd was very active even though it was a low scoring affair. My hunch is because of the Derby implications...and wanting to make up for the previous matchups disappointing result. After Mutu's goal the place exploded like a powder keg. I almost lost my voice after Frey's save off of the back heel in the second half as it happened right in front of me.

The game, even though pretty uneventful besides a few plays, was amazing. I couldn't ask for more. They beat their local rivals at home. Pretty neat first game if you ask me.

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff. Can you post some pictures?

11. wolfpackallday

Aug 20, 2009
    Sacramento
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya I was going to put some pictures in the multimedia tab. I'll have to do a couple posts though best they only allow 3 photos per post.

For the Roma game I convinced my friends that would should get better seats and just pay the 15 extra euro. Boy was it worth it too. We were right in line with where Vargas blasted his goal in the 7th minute. On the "Tribuna" according to my ticket. I was literally four rows back from the glass (out of choice, i wanted to be a little higher to see more of the field) and the only people who were sitting in front of me were my creative travel writing teacher and her family who randomly showed up at the game and walked right by us until i flagged them down. Her husband and son got intense into the game and i even caught her cheering pretty loudly. During halftime my friend and I dreamed of the hilarity of being an American Ref in the Italian league and how much it would piss players off. A choice move of ours was, when delivering a card to someone, pretednt to pull it out from behind their ear like a magic trick.

I've been to a lot of sporting events in the states. Football, Baseball, Basketball, and some MLS games. BY FAR, the Fiorentina-Roma game was the best sporting event I've ever been to. The intensity of the stadium was absolutely nuts. The Roma fans had the away section completely filled, their flags were flying hi and they were singing until they went down pretty bad. But the home fans were the real toast that night. The boys gave us all something to sing about, and boy did we. All game, all bus ride back to the city center, and in the streets, Fiorentina were the kings of the city.

12. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm so glad you posted these, and the pictures in the multimedia thread. For those of us who have been to a match at the Franchi you've captured it perfectly. For those who haven't, I'd imagine you'd given them even more reason to long for a visit someday!

13. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    You cut me deep... Thanks to Wolfpackallday, though. Good stuff.

14. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    It looks like I'll be making it to the Fiorentina-Bari match on Sunday. It also looks like I'll be taking 10 or so people with me.

Do you all have any suggestions about transportation? We'll be coming in by train from Montecatini. Should we switch lines at the main station in town and ride up to Fiorentina's stadium, or is there a shuttle?

Also, would you anticipate a sell out or any difficulty getting tickets?

Grazie!

15. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fantastic that you'll be going - please come back and share your story here!

I'd be surprised if it's a sell-out. Unfortunately I don't have any advice on the transportation.

16. wolfpackallday

Aug 20, 2009
    Sacramento
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from this website: http://www.footballinitaly.com/fiorentina.html

The stadium is close to Florence's second train station: Firenze Campo di Marte (head up Largo Gennarelli). From the main station, Santa Maria Novella, you can either take a train to Campo di Marte or take bus numbers 7, 17 or 20.

For these others lines that aren't label "stadio" I just waited at the bus stop and waited for all the old men that have fiorentina scarfs and hats to get on a bus and i trusted that they were going to the stadium and they always were haha.

You can wait at the train station bus stop for a bus that is labeled "stadio." It is bus #52. The bus station i know that it stops at is right in front of the Santa Maria Novella (its a big church right next to the train station).

http://www.ataf-linea.it/en-US/Time.../Line-52.aspx?LN=en-US&idC=180&idO=0&Linea=52

If you take the bus don't forget to get bus tickets because there are undercover agents who ride the buses and pull people off that don't have tickets and charge them a HUGE fine.

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Thank you all for your help. Turns out I didn't really need it!

I was in Italy with a tour group, and our guide knew a guy (Riccardo), in Montecatini (where we were staying) who went way out of his way to help me and five friends enjoy the Fiorentina-Bari match. We took his bus and he got us our tickets in a ticket booth across the street from the stadium. He also showed us what gate to go into.

We sat (yes, unfortunately, sat) on the outer fringes of the Curva. Unlike D.C. United's supporters sections, the Curva sings more than "ohhh-ohhh-ooo-DC," making it hard for us to pick up on the cheers. But it was a good sized crowd for a cold match against an unpopular opponent. The Bari fans packed the away section and shot rockets at nearby Viola fans.

Fiorentina had some very skilled players down the middle, but the flank play was weak. Also, finishing was poor. The match was tied 1-1 at about the 58th minute when a Bari player got red-carded. Fiorentina took control of the match from there.

Great experience, we all had a lot of fun, and I'll treasure my fake Gilardino jersey for years to come!

18. wolfpackallday

Aug 20, 2009
    Sacramento
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats great man, I'm glad you had a good time!

19. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very cool thread. It is awesome to hear old stories along with getting information one needs to research trips.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I lived there 3/4 years from 01 til the end of 04.....first year next door to giardino bobboli, 2nd in the piazza signoria and the last years up at the piazzale michelangelo. In the end being from Northern California, it got a little old in the end and the dream was better than the reality but it was still cool to live and work there. The food , the girls, the women and the soccer have got to be the best in the world.....anyway, ask away......;)

21. wolfpackallday

Aug 20, 2009
    Sacramento
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm from Northern California too! haha

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Go Quakes!

23. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze
    i lived there for 2 years right in the campo di marte area. i could hear the curva every sunday, it was amazing.

i lived there by mooching off of people though and after 2 years I had to come back to the US, I had no job.

falvo your one lucky guy. hook me up with a job there!

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was cool for a while, then it ended. don't fret though, you never know what the future holds. Finche c'e' vita c'e' speranza...... ;)

25. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, I'm back from Toscana, and it was a blast. I was all over the country really, with meetings for work and some leisure time thrown in, but I had a few memorable days when my commute took me right past the Piazzale Michelangiolo....the stuff of dreams, really. I stayed between Firenze and Lucca (closer to Lucca), which was also amazing.

The real story is how much stuff I bought with the Firenze giglio emblazoned on it. I didn't buy much "official" Fiorentina stuff, just a banner and an espresso cup :)

Anyhow - it was an interesting time to be there with the Prandelli move, the Mihajlovic hire, and so on.

I don't have much to add in terms of tips other than this - the woman that was working at the Ale' Viola shop just off the Piazza della Repubblica is one of the hottest women I've ever seen. All of the time I've spent learning Italian totally paid off in the 3-4 minutes I spent talking with her. Wow.