Visiting Away Support Info/Advice

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Joedogsweetman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. swissman

swissman Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Boston
    Thanks for the help!

2. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are not a visiting fan, the No Pity Van on the corner of 18th and Morrison usually has a few Timbers Army GA tickets up for grabs about an hour before the match.

swissman repped this.
  3. keytoarson

keytoarson Member

Jan 22, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're coming to the Portland/Seattle game on September 15th. Second year in a row coming from MN. I just hope the game is somewhat relevant. Either way, it should be a great time. As far as restaurants, what do you guys suggest?

4. Shiver_Me

Shiver_Me Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're going to need to narrow it down. Fancy? Cheap? Vegan? Carnivore? Dessert heavy? What part of town? There's too many places to make recommendations otherwise.

5. keytoarson

keytoarson Member

Jan 22, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't have to be super cheap or super expensive. We're staying at the Hilton, few blocks from the field. Just looking for a restaurant with good steak/burgers basically. And plenty of beer.

6. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Jake's is owned by McCormick and Schmick's but is pretty good. But you should be easily able to find great eats within walking distance.

7. Hinchatv

Hinchatv New Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I was in attendance at yesterday's game. I drove from Houston to see what's up with the Timbers Army. Very impressed with what I saw and I have a couple of pictures that I would like to share, just don't know where to post the link.
    you can look at the photos here (over 100) http://www.hinchatv.com/new/?page_id=10493 or directly on my facebook account www.facebook.com/hinchatv.
    Keep up the good work.

The Marquis and Kejsare repped this.
  8. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question about seating:
    I'll be attending my first Timbers match on October 19 vs RSL and wondering
    the best places to sit. If I was by myself, or with just my buddy who lives there,
    we would probably sit in or near the Timbers Army. However, we will both have
    our wives with us, and we've agreed they probably wouldn't appreciate that as
    much as we would (they most likely will want to sit. yawn!).
    So, what sections would be best where we don't have to pay over $30 per ticket,
    can still be close to the field and feel the energy of the Timbers Army?
    South Deck Bleachers? Ends? Or should we pay a little more and go for
    Corners or Goal Box? Your help is appreciated.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has been there, any seat in the stadium will be close enough to the Timbers Army. Hell, the hotel I stayed at just a few blocks away was close enough to get the awesome atmosphere they brought.

Kejsare repped this.
  10. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Figure out what's most important to you - being near the field? Cheapest possible seat four together? and go from there. Having sat around the stadium the atmosphere is generally the same everywhere, but other than that I'm not sure there's a seat less than $30 and close to the field still available.

11. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright, tickets are purchased. We went with Sideline Terrace, Sec 218, 11th Row. That was about the best we could get and still ended up paying $38 per ticket. Very excited, can't wait for the experience!

12. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those seats will not disappoint. If you want to impress your friend, learn some history about the stadium.

time4wine repped this.
  13. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a great history. I had no idea. I shared the link with 2 great soccer historians in St.Louis, Dave Lange (author of Soccer Made In St.Louis) and Bill McDermott (longest running soccer broadcaster in the US). They were very impressed as well. so, thank you for that!

14. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To think that the stadium has seen soccer played on the same field for over 120 years is remarkable anywhere in the Americas.

15. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is! I bet most US Soccer fans have no idea.

I wish that St.Louis had something like this. Our first recorded soccer match was in 1875 and took place at the Grand Avenue Baseball Park, which later became Sportsman's Park home of the Cardinals and Browns. But sadly, when the Browns folded and the Cardinals moved to Busch Stadium, the area was torn down and became a very, down and out neighborhood. So, cheers to you guys!

16. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now soccer hasn't quite had the history as St. Louis in Portland, but that field has also seen a ski jump, KKK rally, Rev. Billy Graham, two presidents, Rose Festival events, ELVIS!, and of course Pele.

Forgot this:

17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Is this place any good?
    http://brunchboxpdx.com/2.php

18. Epidemeo

Epidemeo Member

May 16, 2011
    Kingman, AZ
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I didn't spend much time on that side of the river so I never got to try that one, but it's in a good pod of food carts and the menu looks pretty good so I'd be up for trying it if I was still living up there. A lot of people must think they are good if they can afford to open a full restaurant location. If anything you can go to the pod and follow your nose to whatever food cart smells the best. That was my preferred method of trying new food carts.

19. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Portland for a non-work conference this week and weekend. How crazy could the city be for the game against Seattle on Sunday? Hopefully I can work the gme in, though I understand it I. Hot ticket.

20. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    In most of the city, you won't notice so much, other than bars might be a bit busy around game time. The MAX light rail will be packed on the blue/red lines near the start and end of the game. In general, people are hanging around the stadium for quite some time before the game, but not too much after, especially since its a sunday evening game. If you are planning on getting food before the game, avoid places near the stadium, or expect to wait a while for it.

It is a big party, and there will be lines at the gates, but only a couple thousand will likely be waiting to get in right away. Also, it is only a 20k stadium in a metro of over 2 million, so not really making too big of an impact. Unless you're wearing Seattle gear, you'll probably never get a comment unless you provoke one.

21. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a chance to stop by the stadium this afternoon and even had a chat with the facilities manager Ryan. I understand the lack of parking, but I am still envious of the location. I am still exploring the city. The few people I have chatted have been friendly.

22. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Here's the real question, had people started lining up yet? :D

Parking is only an issue if you mind walking about half a mile to the nearest parking garage. It really isn't that far away. If the game isn't too late, I often walk down to there to get myself something to drink at the convenience store.

Portland is much like many midwest cities I've been to: unfailingly polite and friendly. The city is also very walkable, and there is no end to the good beer which can be had. If you have the chance, I recommend checking out Deschutes. Their beer is good, and the food there is excellent.

23. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think I saw the line start around 3...foam mattresses and all :) the light rail was convenient from the Beaverton area...