Villarreal (r) Moves and News

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by in da soup, Nov 23, 2005.

1. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Villarreal (r)

I find it somehow annoying that players are switching clubs all the time, because somehow when you support a club you are also supporting a certain group of players. That's one reason I am not supporting any special club up to now.

But if Riquelme stays at Villa and they get some better strikers, then I may buy the yellow submarine jersey...

2. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england

roman has a lot riding on the wc, not just in terms of national and personal glory but also getting a big move.

if he is the star of the tournament i confidently predict he won't be at villarreal next season, and i for one would be happy about it.

i respect villa and am v grateful to them for having faith in roman and letting him flourish again, but the rest of the team just aren't up to scratch and ultimately that will hold him back.

truth is villa aren't going to attract top players, they're not in the champs league, which is a competition a player of roman's calibre needs to be playing every season, for the good of argentina, because it makes him a better player.

playing for a big club in big-pressure games, competing for trophies, this is what i want for our main man.

he's had a great two years at villa but i don't think it's going to get any better.

if he has a great wc, whichever team buys him will hopefully understand how to utilise him so that his barca experience isn't repeated.

3. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

The only problem with your theory is that Roman moved to Villarreal in order to get playing time. He wasn't getting it at the larger clubs. Nihat has signed on and his addition to the club will greatly help Roman, also Franco who hasn't been 100% healthy and also just joined the squad in January will be more up to the challenge next season. Villarreal enter the Intertoto and I am confident they will move into the UEFA cup and go very very deep into that competition. Next seasons run and the UEFA cup run will get Villarreal back into the "limelight" so to speak and Roman will continue to excel.

If he was to go back to the "big" clubs he woudl sitting on the bench, the very same reason he left that and went with a smaller squad.

4. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england

pints, i disagree with you because of the reason i stated in the last line of my previous post.

any club that buys him now will have a better understanding of what they are getting and will have decided they want the team to serve him.

also, he will be costing big money.

he's a great player, if he's bought for the right reasons and used correctly no coach in their right mind would ever leave him on the bench.

villarreal have served their purpose in that way and the sitution is different from when he went to barca from boca.

franco and these guys aren't on roman's level, he needs to be playing with the best, strikers and wingers with great movement, pace, finishing, skill, it's the only way you'll ever see the v best of him.

great players are often on the same wavelength.

if he was diego and could carry them to victory on his own it might be a different story, but he's not, he needs players around him.

he needs to be competing for the main prizes.

5. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey

did morientes just sign with villarreal or valencia?

6. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england

valencia. £3m. they bought him for £6.5m last year.

7. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Villarreal keep strengthening the squad.

Today the club officially announced the signing of Cani for a full buy-out clause of 8 million Euros.

Great signings to surround Roman ... Nihat, Pires and Cani ... and Forlan is not on sale according to the club President, Roig.

Also, Gonzalo's replacement when injured, Arzo, has renewed for 4 years. He is a young talent that came form the youth squads at Villa.

8. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england

i don't know these guys, nihat and cani, i do know however that pires isn't half the player he used to be, and forlan isn't in the highest category of strikers.

i also expect that this will be gonzalo's last season at villa, the big boys will be moving in for him.

i hope villa can make the champs league again because that's where roman has to be.

9. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Nihat is a Turkish international ... good goalscorer that will certainly add to the depth of squad ... Villa were weak in offense this season.

Cani is 24, yet captain at Zaragoza and one of the players that DESERVED to be called to Spain's NT squad. He is right footed, yet plays on the left of midfield ... great box to box coverage and very good foot. He is a very good player.

As to Forlan ... some hate him, some appreciate his talents (like Barza ;) ) He is not worldclass, yet he is an efficient forward, moreso if teamed up with quality upfront so he is not the only target. The English game is different, not for everyone, if not ask Nando. :rolleyes:

10. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Kily Gonzales might play at Villarreal if Sorin is sold. Pellegrini has had problems with Sorin, which are only now being made "public".

Soon we'll see what else happens. Forlan is most probably not going to Barza, unless there is some sort of swap which would involve Saviola arriving to El Madrigal. Now, also Milan has shown interest in Forlan.

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: Villarreal's sufre

Rodolfo Arruabarrena fue intervenido hoy en su rodilla izquierda por la rotura del menisco exterior. El defensor podrá volver para el inicio de la Liga, pero se perderá los dos partidos de la eliminatoria de la Copa Intertoto frente al Maribor

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

I read that Ayala is going to leave Valencia and go to either Tottenham or Villarreal.

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

los de pellegrini le ofrecen 3años y los ingleses 3 temporadas
    en valencia la prensa le segui increpando por el penalty.....

14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I heard Sorin is going to be loaned to Stuttgart.

15. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe

Villarreal has stronger squad this year, and if they sign Ayala, it will be excellent for both club, Ayala and us fans :) . if they sign him, Gonzalo and Ayala will be CB, and this is undoubtdly one of the best CBs in La Liga.

16. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

ayala has to be by far my favorite player, magnificent overall. i hope he finds a club that suits him to his taste but a gonzalo-ayala line up would be terrific.

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

This sounds really odd:confused: Not that Stuttgart is a bad team, it just seems like the Bundesliga would be to slow paced for a player like Sorin. Sorin loves to motor up and down the field and from the Stuttgart games I did see last season; I can't see it. Second and probably bigger reason would be in regards to his being loaned out. Why would Villarreal loan out a player that they could easily sell for some phat cash? If Sorin was younger and not estabilished then I'd have no beef, but he's not. He's coming off an excellent cup as captain of the best team in the tournament and a vortex of energy. Just doesn't make sense. Where did you read this anyways?

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I think it was Ole.. I don't have the link though, because I read it a few days ago.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I found this on Ole. It talks about Ayala and Sorin:
    http://www.ole.com.ar/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1232135&fecha=20060712

"Un dato surgido en Valencia informaba del interés del Villarreal en contratar al argentino Roberto Ayala, del equipo che. Sin embargo, fuentes del Submarino Amarillo negaron el dato. El Ratón está negociando su renovación con el Valencia. Del Villarreal también se iría JP Sorin, pretendido por el Stuttgart y ¿el Inter?"

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  21. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

That's too bad in a way. I got excited about the Spurs rumors because I'd love to see El Raton dominate the big bad english. Now Sorin to Inter makes no sense either after last years ChampsLeague.

22. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Terrible resultado del Villarreal el Sabado por la 3ra Ronda de la Intertoto ... en su partido de local contra el Maribor de Eslovenia cayeron por 1-2. No jugaron Riquelme, Senna, Arruabuarena ni Sorin ... pero si Taccinardi, Pires, Nihat y Cani. Ademas, Barboza se comio un gol de tiro libre desde muy lejos y el equipo se quedo con 10 cuando Josemi se hizo expulsar.

Con solo 10 dias de entrenamiento, al Villa le falto futbol. El proximo fin de semana tendran que marcar al menos 2 goles de visitantes para acceder a la UEFA 06-07, su ultima chance de jugar en Europa esta temporada. :eek:

Mas info

23. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

For those in the US ...

Sun Jul 23 01:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr D
    Telemundo
    UEFA Intertoto Cup/Copa Intertoto UEFA - 3rd Round/3ra Ronda - 2nd Leg/Vuelta
    Maribor (Slovenia/Eslovenia) vs Villarreal (Spain/Espana)

24. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

If anyone is interested, I started an INTERTOTO match thread in the Comunidad Valenciana forum in regards to the first leg.

here.

I also posted a couple videos fo the first leg.

Telemundo broadcasting this match is excellent.

25. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Leandro Somoza (Velez) to Join Villarreal

Excellent signing for Villarreal. Somoza along Masche and Gago are the future DMs of the NT. He is a leader, great strength, good shot from outside the box and very good ball handling to distribute from his position. And his height is a plus for the headers in both boxes.