Video replays?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by espola, Oct 14, 2019.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    In today's Georgetown-Maryland game, the referee stopped the game for a couple of minutes to check the video replay (which was replayed on the FS1 broadcast for all to see).

Is that common?

2. mnt062

mnt062 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    All games played at a Big Ten home site should have the use of video review (it was mandated before the 2018 season). The calls that can be reviewed are pretty limited (i.e. goal line, but not off-sides). I think something with red cards too possibly. The official is the only person who can decide to go to a review, not a player or coach. Not very common because of the limited things that can be reviewed.

3. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The play in question was a ball that got by the keeper but was blocked on the goal line by a defender. The play continued until the first natural stoppage. The play was correctly ruled no goal after video review

4. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Heck of a game.

Good job by refs to get that call right the first time.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  5. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    It was a non-conference game, but at a Big 10 site. Do the coaches have to agree on the use of video replay before the start of the game? Or was this just a snap judgement by the referee?

6. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    I was at the Lakeside Classic at Northwestern in early September and the same scenario played out in the in the Wisconsin vs Lehigh game, Goal line clearance by a defender, I was confused when the referee stopped play and went to the review. I had not noticed the goal line cameras and there was no way the sideline camera angles were going to help. The call was correct, no goal, relatively quick.

7. mnt062

mnt062 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    It does not need to be agreed upon by both coaches. It is required when a match is being hosted by a Big Ten institution. All Big Ten schools are set up with goal line cameras and a high angle camera. If TV is on-site they could have more angles potentially to look at a review in the middle of the field on a red card situation.
    Does anyone know if any conferences outside of the Big Ten have employed a video review system?

8. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    My understanding of the rule, it's incumbent on the home team to determine prior to the match to notify the referee and the visiting team if VAR is available. While B10 may enforce all home teams to have VAR, I believe in other conferences, it's school by school.

Additionally, there are 2 things that can be reviewed (the poster above got it right):
    • Goals/No goals
    • Discipline identification (this happened at Cal-State Fullerton @ Maryland) for a potential red card incident that turned out to be yellow cards only

10. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    School by school in the ACC.

If video review at Big10 home site is mandated, does that mean every game is broadcast in some way (TV, internet)?

11. mnt062

mnt062 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    The match does not need to be broadcast in order to have review, as each school was required to have/install some type of high angle, full field camera for instances where the match would not be streamed or televised.

12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    In order to be useful for for making goal/no goal decisions, it seems to me that there should be a camera near each goal line. Many of the broadcast games I have watched have only one camera or where there are more than one, not a good goal-line view.

13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
  14. mnt062

mnt062 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    There are small cameras attached to each goal that are set on the goalline that are with the replay system. These are not used by TV and not provided by TV. TV really has nothing to do with the replay other than being able to add in another few high camera angles for full field shots when they are on-site.

15. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video replay can be used to confirm if a goal has been scored, confirm or correct mistaken identity, to confirm if a "fight" has occurred or to confirm if violent behavior has occurred. (If you don't know, red cards for serious foul play, violent behavior and fighting are all slightly different in college)

There's a smattering of places that have it, but if the school is equipped to do it, the coaches have no say. Both coaches can want to not use it but if it's available, they have to. I've heard rumors of at least one conference mandating it as a whole next year.

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    #16 BigRedFootie, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    It turns out that most B1G games are broadcast these days, many over normal channels (BTN, ESPN*, FS*). Most others are streamed via BTN+. For example, this is the schedule for 10/25:
    upload_2019-10-18_6-32-24.png

17. JayPak

JayPak Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Wake Forest has the capability, and elects not to use it. Turned what should have been a draw for Creighton into a loss when a Creighton goal was mistakenly disallowed.

18. mnt062

mnt062 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    The comment 'Most B1G games are broadcast these days, many over normal channels' just isn't accurate. I think the chart you posted proves that fact as each of those matches are all streaming games on BTN+. I would guess that there are maybe 20-25 total matches on national TV (broadcast) each season including B1G teams (out of 150+ matches).

19. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a match between UK and Ohio State, one incident for a video replay. Weird time to do it, was on a foul and CR was looking to see if there was more to it than what may have been there (no card given, was looking to see if a red -- my guess).

Absolutely no signal was given after the replay viewing. Just walked back on and blew whistle. Didn't make much sense.