Video of Shoulder Charge

Discussion in 'Coach' started by amikavpar, Jun 13, 2017.

1. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Was curious what you coaches would think of the play at about 4:20 of this youtube video. To let you know, this is not my daughter's team. It is a U15 Rec Plus game. I won't comment further before I get some feedback - just want some unbiased opinions with regard to "Shoulder Charges" and the level of contact allowed. I've looked across the internet and have gotten a wide variety of opinions. Thanks.

2. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I broke my collar bone on a similar play 12 years ago. Players learn through lessons like this.

the shoulder charge is a regular foul to me.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not seeing a whole lot there.
    I like that the 'offender' gets to the ball just ahead of the other player to set up to protect the ball.
    I didn't like that it seemed that perhaps she was going to use her 'physical advantage' to make contact.

As a whole though, she really doesn't seem to not play the ball nor go out of her way to make contact.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not much there. Elbow was in.

I kinda want red to get up.

Now when it's my daughter, will I be as sanguine? Probably not.

White did have a good sense that red was still in the picture. On second watching it does look like white tees up a bit but still not much there.

Third watching—still nothing there.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  5. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    OK, seems like a marginal foul - if I'm reading these responses correctly. Would you feel differently if red had possession and white uses that shoulder charge rather than making an attempt on the ball?

From my own perspective it seemed like a pretty hard foul where the white player actually planted and moved away from the ball to take out red (but that may be ok). "Now when it's my daughter, will I be as sanguine? Probably not." That's, I guess, where I'm at. My kids were both rather small and got slammed pretty hard over the years by girls outweighing them by 60+ lbs. They did learn to get quicker.

6. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Maybe a whistle depending on how that player with the "physical advantage" has been playing prior. (I skipped to the 4:00 mark).
    If the 2 playere had been the same size, I don't think there's a foul there.

7. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #7 rca2, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Before the "shoulder charge" I saw the attacking player impeded, which also could have been construed as an illegal charge because there was contact and the defender had her back to the ball. Apparently the ref played advantage.

Women tolerate more hip contact than men and tolerate less upper body contact than men.

I don't know how you guys coach shoulder charges, but I coach that it is incidental contact while tackling the ball. The ball is tackled not the opponent. This was bad technique and a charging foul. First the defender slowed the attacker by impeding, and then knocked the attacker to the ground while she was out of playing distance from the ball. The "shoulder charge" was actually an illegal charge because the defender moved away from the ball to make contact with the attacker. The fact that the defender used her shoulder does not make this a shoulder charge, which is a tackle of the ball. If you disagree and think the attacker was within playing distance of the ball at the time the charge occurred and that a foul had occurred, then it was a careless shoulder charge.

The restart was a direct kick so impeding was not the call. From the placement of the ball, it was clear that this was not a situation where he called back the play when an advantage did not materialize. He called the foul where the attacker was knocked to the ground. I know this was rec, but the same player impeded and then made an illegal charge knocking the attacker down. I would have warned the defender that the next tactical foul would draw a yellow and then told her that I had played advantage on the impeding so that was 2 fouls she had committed.

The simplest explanation is that a player cannot be legally charged if they are not within playing distance of the ball. A player within playing distance of the ball can be legally charged in a safe manner--shoulder to shoulder contact is normally considered safe.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    No. It is most definitely not okay.

9. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I think I saw it almost exactly the way rca2 saw it (even the impeding - which is never called at this level). Interesting that there is such a large difference in opinions on this.

10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #10 nicklaino, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    I just saw this nice field. They did not look like a rec plus it look like a rec team and not good ones. I saw the same play from a lot of the players in white so they are coached to do that. I think you could call it obstruction on the girl in white. The girl in white was not playing the ball she just stopped to obstruct the the girl in the dark uniform. Also on every throw in they did it was forward they lost the ball more then half the time. Both teams had terrible movement no takeovers no nothing. No thinking before the ball got to them. So they had no clue on what they were going to do before they got the ball. Both teams could not put more then three passes together. Plus they could not tackle well. I was listening to the parents talking to kept saying good play as they lost the ball. Is there bears in that Forrest surrounding the field :)

11. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Almost forgot the white teams keeper could not distribute the ball. She was terrible at it.

12. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Field is deceptively nice. My daughter played on it earlier in the day and she really struggled with any lengthy pass - it was very slow. Bears? I hope not. My daughter will be running cross country back there next year :) - maybe some coyotes.

Sorry you watched the rest - I should have warned you. The coaching has been pretty bad here for a long time, especially in the white team's club. I moved my daughter to a club in the next town up that seems to have a better approach. Her team was stringing 6-10 passes together the last couple of games. Coach is big on playing the way you face. They rarely win but seem to be on the right path.

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any time I see a lot of trees I think of two things bears and forest fires. That is what happens when your a city guy :).

14. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    How many restarts happened in 15 minutes? Was the field narrow?
    Good that these girls are still playing at 15. And good that they seemed evenly matched.
    But that was rough to watch.

15. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I think it is 60m wide. It does have a pretty steep camber (if you're sitting on spectator side you can't see players legs on the other side). White team is known for playing cautious, though. A lot of kick outs.

16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On coyotes I never actually saw a coyote. But I have seen a pack of wild dogs as you enter the cropsey Ave soccer field near McDonalds :) when you take little kids on a practice field it is disconcerting to see a pack of wild dogs running around it scared the children. This is true I don't know who did it. But, I was told a few nights after people in the surrounding houses heard a lot of shots fired near the field in the middle of the night. Police were called when they arrived they found apx a dozen dead dogs laying near the entrance to the field.

17. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I watched it again. 17 minutes of running video.
    2:15 was taken up by the injury.
    White team:
    6 throw ins
    2 goal kicks
    1 free kick
    4 "using the body as an advantage" by the right wingback

Red team:
    6 throw ins
    1 corner kick

I didn't count shots on goal, but I don't think there were any that were much of a threat.

On the corner kick goal when red scored... the white keeper could have kept that from being a corner with 2% more effort. Does the coach instruct her to stay inside the 6 no matter what?
    I saw the Red keeper come out off of her line several times.
    I heard a lot to talk from the sidelines. I heard very little from the players on the field.

I also saw a lot of 1 or 2-touch play when a player had tons of room to carry the ball.

I saw a few good skill moves in 1v1 situations.

Was it super hot they day? Or the 2nd game in a day? Lots of half jogging to pressure a ball or try for a 50/50 ball.

What was the final score?

This was the semi final? How did the final go?

nicklaino repped this.
  18. amikavpar

amikavpar Member

Sep 19, 2009
    My daughter heard from one of the girls on the white team that they lost. The whole game is on various youtube videos. I think I saw about 4 goals by red - none by white - but I didn't watch all of it. It was white's second game of the day (first 9 AM), this one was about 4 PM. It was very hot and somewhat humid (in the typical range for DC area). Still, in many games I've seen I'll scratch my head about what appears to be a lack of effort. It could be also a bit of overcoaching - players told to stay in their positions.

GK was on my daughter's rec team last spring. Good kid that was drafted into GK service because white team's original GK quit. I know she doesn't really like being a keeper.

I believe I saw that the final is also posted. I haven't had the stomach to watch that yet.

To be honest, when you're watching the games live, they seem bad but seem to be far worse on video.

19. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You can learn one thing from listening to parents talking while the game is going on. That is parents should not talk while filming a game.

20. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think the difference in size makes it look worse. I don't like the play, white does seem to throw her shoulder in.

elessar78 repped this.
  21. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    The final is a "better" game. I went an watched some of US socce's nationals video from the 2016 season, u16g, and found an ECNL u14 game. Those players are more athletic and better technique, but it still pretty much all punts & grunts, every throw is down the line until they're close enough to throw it in the box, there's no thought of pausing/resetting, it's get forward/getback. If anything they move off the ball a little more in tracking the play so there's not quite so much balls going to space and the 2 closest girls sprinting after it. YMMV...

This vid is about the level most of my club's teams play, here we call it community travel.

The red #15 that was fouled leaves the final. About the 9 minute mark she's backpedaling and her legs get a little wobbly, and around 11:15 or so she starts signaling the sideline her head hurts. She takes a knee then gets up unsteadily, her coach comes out and walks her directly to the parents. Could be dehydration but I'd be handling it like a concussion.

22. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Talking about hydration when the girl hit into the white wall and got hurt. A parent threw 1 water bottle out on the field it was an after thought. How injuries on hot days should be part of the over all game plan. There is a way to get six water bottles out on the field after an injury. A little planning goes a long way.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, no, it has been beaten into kids by I don't know who (but I'd like to kick his ass) to take a knee EXACTLY where you are! Don't do anything smart like get a drink or regroup.

I yell at my team every time they take a knee to 'stand up and be ready.'

24. NoVA Mikey

NoVA Mikey New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    From this perspective, it is clearly a foul, especially since you can watch the player in white's eyes leave the ball, locate her target, and then return after making contact. Unfortunately no ref or AR would be in the position of the camera, so it would be a little harder to call from the back. The player in white's size betrays her though since sheer physics renders the player in red rolling on the ground.

25. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hated to watch that play because it was terrible coaching. Since I saw it from others I know they were coached to do that.

Clean the white team took the knee. The red team had some of her players on top of the hurt player sucking all the oxygen out of the air.

rca2 repped this.