Victory Tour 2019

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought ESPN's replay paused it at the point where Press touched it, and Horan was way offside.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, I guess I've never seen an USWNT match so much ignored here on BigSoccer boards. Non dedicated thread? No comments? No anticipation or buzz? I was barely aware that it was scheduled.

sitruc repped this.
  3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I just woke up this morning and checked BigSoccer and there was no dedicated match thread. I believe that's one of the first times thats ever happened. Was everyone just at the match live? haha sure looked that way. Maybe I need to be making them in the future.

Since this particular match was held in LA, and all the way at the Rose Bowl to boot(don't me started on my crazy journey via train, horseback, fighting zombies, etc.) to get from there to back home again last night. Was too tired to check here to see what everyone thought.

It was fun times though, I got to meet Mia Hamm, see the trophy in person and take photographs, meet fans that went to the 99 Rose Bowl match, spend 16 dollars a pop for adult beverages and watch fireworks every 20 minutes.

The worst part is it's painful going to the Rose Bowl if you are trying to avoid spending 50 dollars on parking. Apparently the Metro Gold Line didn't get the memo that there were 37,000 people 2 miles from their train station and they should have gone more frequently than once every 20 minutes.

4. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Glad you had a good time at the match McSkillz.
    The infrastructure for entrance and egress has always been terrible at the Rose Bowl... even back in the sixties.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You have UCLA under your handle... were you surprised by this?

6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that only McSkillz was allowed to start threads:D:D:D

On August 3, 2019, where else on the Planet could you be to be in the presense of Legends, 37,000 of your closest friends, The Great Joy Fawcett and complete and total awesomeness.

Pre-match ceremonies were fanastic - banners, hardware, fireworks......I hope they do that at every Match till Christmas. After all...........we are the TWO TIME REIGNING WOMEN'S WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS.

Kinda fell bass ackwards into great accommodations - I stayed in "old town". 4 blocks from the night before A/O party (no comment:D) and 2 blocks from the shuttle bus stop to the Rose Bowl - 10 bucks there and back.

Onto Philly at the end of the month - - still trying to knock the France Rust off.

McSkillz and jnielsen repped this.
  7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recorded last night's match but still haven't gotten around to watching it. Just had the score sheet spoiled.

Oh sure Tobin, *NOW* you score a goal. :rolleyes:

Ethan Frank repped this.
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not much to discuss. This is more a fan fest than a competitive match so I'm glad you had a great time.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    She's spoiled us throughout 2018 and 2019 on the NT. Far from a prolific wing scorer before then.

Semblance17 repped this.
  10. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I didn't see any pausing at all, but I was admittedly not paying the most attention. I have seen some highlights though, and even though there was still no pausing, Horan definitely looked offside.

11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which makes it all the more ironic that Heath was able to score a goal in the 2015 World Cup but not the 2019 World Cup [even with her multiple very viable chances in the Final]. That was the point of my original post, although I realized subsequently that it could be misinterpreted as me complaining that she scored in one of the few games that I wasn't watching in real time.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    #37 taosjohn, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Just watched the first half, and I've got to say-- it isn't obvious to me that Carli isn't good for another four years.

One doesn't want to rob Peter to play Prinz, as it were-- but there's no real profit in telling outliers they can't be outliers, either...

And, oh yeah-- it was offsides.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    A quietly effective second half from Horan--seems maybe to be back in synch. Of course Ireland was rather overmatched...

I do hope that McDonald gets a fair run at an Olympic slot. There's got to be a place for that level of athlete... I just don't quite see who one leaves out.

From the speed and volume of the bleeding it seems likely that Mewis' nose was broken? I mean, its isn't an absolute correlation, but most of the time when you see that faucet effect... I notice all of the obvious bubble candidates for the Olympics got good minutes...

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USWNT attendance record for a stand-alone friendly (44,028 in Pittsburgh in the first VT match in 2015) could be broken in the next game:

jnielsen and Semblance17 repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's confirmed: Mewis did break her nose, and will need to wear a mask for awhile.

jnielsen and taosjohn repped this.
  16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The pedant in me would like to insist that, while Mewis' nose was broken, it wasn't Mewis who did the breaking...:p

Roger Allaway repped this.
  17. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
  18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100 reps

McSkillz repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey Short and Kristen Hamilton have been added for the Portugal games mostly due to injuries by those on the WWC roster. But everyone is still reporting to camp, I think, so its a 25 player roster.

jackdoggy and blissett repped this.
  20. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Been watching copious amounts of NWSL.
    Some great games .. some real stinkers.
    Still...a good investment !

What’s the chance of a Midge Purce call up to the USWNT ?...She looks the business.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Before the end of the "Victory Tour," about 1 in 10,000,000,000.
    After the end of the "Victory Tour" but before the Olympics, about 1 in 1000.
    After the Olympics about 1 in 5.

The new coach should have a lot to say about the call ups and, no matter who it is, I would be very surprised if, after the Olympics, there was not a VERY wide net thrown to try to find the best team, in the opinion of the coach, possible.

There will be some replacements during the tour due to injuries and such, there already are a few, but they will come from those that were on the cusp to make the WWC. Wholesale testing for the next cycle will not start before the Olympics unless somebody at/near the top goes insane.

22. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Thanks FOF.
    In regards to the NWSL ( or because I can’t browse for a thread properly) I heard ESPN International has picked up foreign rights to matches... Has anyone an idea if there’s games are on the BT platform in UK ?
    Or any distribution info at all ?

I’m away from home... as usual.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    US takes the lead just before half against South Korea. Long finishes off of the free kick from Rapinoe.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Long was definitely offside.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    S. Korea is playing better than No. 20 in the world. Physical and swarming. But -- can they keep it up in the second half?