Victory Tour 2019

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jul 9, 2019.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dates just announced for the Victory Tour, confirming the first one as August 3 as against Ireland.

Rest of the dates are August 29, Sept 3, Oct 3, and Oct 6 with opponents still unknown.

jackdoggy repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting myself from the other thread about the first game:
    I'm happy to see that the rest of the games are within the FIFA windows, even if I don't like pulling away players from their NWSL teams for the August 3 game. I get capitalizing on the moment for the players and even for USSF, but I'm going to guess that several of the veteran starters won't even play with their clubs then until after that August 3 match, considering how exhausted a few of them must be after a WWC tournament and all of the celebrations this next week (I'm thinking veterans like Rapinoe). Hopefully, the rest of the younger players will get to be there for the July 19-21 NWSL games and July 24-28 ones.

Also in the buildup to the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in some non-Victory Tour friendlies into the schedule during November.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As predicted, there will be games in November, but they won't be a part of the Victory Tour:

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing it was the "chance to play in the Rose Bowl" that they (both parties) decided was worth the inconvenience to the league clubs. They will only have one shot at a *big* crowd (in most cases).

They are also dedicating a statue at the stadium to the '99ers today:

https://ktla.com/2019/07/08/rose-bo...ring-iconic-u-s-win-at-1999-womens-world-cup/

jnielsen, lil_one and McSkillz repped this.
  5. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I'd guess the Victory tour starts with THIS...

Semblance17 repped this.
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hope they come to Chicago or close bye. Or Florida, I'll go.

7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florida would be nice. I suspect Coca-Cola might pull for an Atlanta game by year's end. That might be within striking distance for me, depending on the timing.

8. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some of us, all USWNT Matches are part of a Victory Tour. :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 lil_one, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Bumping this thread, because some of the other threads in this forum have gone a bit off the tracks, and we obviously need some soccer games to get back on.

In that vein, some discussion starters:
    According to what's reported about these VT games, the CBA requires the coach to use only the WWC roster. (unlike in 2015, when others were called in after the first few VT games; I do expect more call-ins though in the November non-VT matches.) However, I am hoping to see max subs, and the younger players like Davidson and Pugh getting playing time. With Chicago, Davidson also looks to be playing well, so I'd like to see a start or two in these matches, but I don't expect it in the first game since I think that game's reserved for the WWC USWNT "stars." However, the stars have got to be tired (and some with knocks), so I hope those with lots of minutes already on their legs only play 45-60 minutes in that match.

There's not many rumors out there yet about opponents, but I'm hoping for opponents of relatively good quality. I'm not expecting top 5 opponents since we already played those recently and this is a victory tour, but I do hope for some in the top 25, like Denmark or China or South Korea. Maybe even a top tier team like Australia or Germany in the November games. I do think one will be a CONCACAF team though just because of proximity, so we'll probably see Mexico or Costa Rica or even Jamaica.

As to locations, it looks like we know the most probable Sept 3 one:

We'll probably know the August 29 one in a day or two:

Also the same journalist above Steven Goff is reporting that the players will play with their clubs on August 24 and 25, and then report to camp for the Aug 29 and Sept 3 games on August 26. I haven't seen anything about when players report for the August 3 game though. The last I saw was that players didn't know yet:

EDIT: Just see that it looks like Lincoln Financial Field is a likely stop on the August 29 game: https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/ale...ial-field-20190717.html?__vfz=medium=sharebar

Kevin625, Dundalk24 and Semblance17 repped this.
  11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Kevin625 repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "U.S. Soccer has announced two more matches of the U.S. Women’s National Team Victory Tour ... {both v} Portugal on Thursday, Aug. 29, at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia (7 p.m. ET; FS1, Fox Sports App) and on Tuesday, Sept. 3, at Allianz Field in St. Paul, Minn. (7 p.m. CT; ESPN2, ESPN App).

U.S. Soccer will announce the final two matches of the five-game Victory Tour once they are confirmed. Those games will take place on Oct. 3 and 6."

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ns-will-face-portugal-on-aug-29-and-on-sept-3

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nov 7 game could be at Audi Field. To be confirmed...

TimB4Last repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "Jill Ellis is stepping down as coach of the United States women’s national team, sources tell The Equalizer. She will remain with the team for its five-game World Cup victory tour, which kicks off on Saturday at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, against Ireland."

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    #16 L'orange, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    The victory tour is a waste of time, IMO. What's really the point? More exposure? You can't get more exposure than the WC! To sell a few tickets and let fans see the team? Meh....It's not like the team doesn't play friendlies in various cities quite regularly. Playing a match on August 3, so soon after the WC and while the players are just settling back into their clubs, seems especially dumb. Not to mention the fact that the matches will all be against lesser teams (one against Ireland, two against Portugal, so far) and many of the starters will probably play little if at all. I don't begrudge sending the team out for one or two celebratory games, I suppose--but four seems too much (it's hard to believe that a 10-game victory tour was under consideration!) and it's a rather transparent exercise in marketing and self-congratulation. The NWSL might benefit if the NT players actually played for their club teams a bit more often.

Midwest Ref repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    From that perspective, just be happy it's not a 10-game tour ...

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TimB4Last repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semblance17 and lil_one repped this.
  20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean, ... it's not 2015?

Ironically enough [and very unfortunately for Hawaii] even that year's 10-game victory tour didn't end up being a 10-game victory tour.

jnielsen and BostonRed repped this.
  21. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I understand what you're saying, but remember, this is a huge chunk of what they get paid for winning the World Cup.

Each player will receive $60,869 for playing the Victory Tour.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    The announcers mentioned the slight touch from Press, but they didn't question whether Horan was offside because of that touch. Instead, they just thought Horan was definitely onside from Mewis' delivery. Not entirely sure myself; I think Horan may have been offside.

lil_one and sitruc repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Are there any places on this board where people are discussing the two goal lead that the US has on Ireland right now?

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lloyd gets hers from a header

3-0

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The first match ends 3-0 with all of the scoring taking place in the first half.