Victoria to PDL

Discussion in 'Canada' started by the shelts, Jun 22, 2006.

1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Has this been tabled? I remember a post about it happening but have heard nothing. As a former resident of Gordon Head, I always figured either RAP or UVIC could house a team.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is a good thing in my opinion. It gives a boost to our own domestic league system.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Glad to see that they have found a fit for their program. I know there was/is a strong fan base there for the PDL Club. Possibly one day could see the WhiteCaps (with money and looking for a city and stadium) and Highlanders ( with a stadium, fan base in place, and in need of finance) could partner and place the WhiteCaps USL club in Victoria keeping the highlanders name.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  6. Adam T

Adam T Member

Jun 26, 2006
  7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Also an owner would be needed. Doubt it would ever happen but the WhiteCaps are still looking for a community partner in which to base their USL side. The first try fell through so playing on UBC campus where their practice facility is at is home for now. They Highlanders already have a fan base. If Steve Nash where to use his influence he could have Highlanders USL push baseball out to another facility and reno the venue for soccer first.

8. Adam T

Adam T Member

Jun 26, 2006
    In so far as the article mentions that the present (new) Highlanders owners are looking at 'moving up' I'd say they already have the ownership in place, unless you know something about them that suggests they aren't capable of doing that.

The fan base is clearly there, the only thing I know of that isn't is the stadium.

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    nope I know nothing. Just reading that they are cutting programs and streamlining costs. I should have said a partnership, not a new owner, would be something to consider in moving up or back to PDL.
    Would the new top University players look to play for a PDL club in the future if they stay in the PCSL.

10. Adam T

Adam T Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Yes, they probably would need a partnership. I would like that think that given that Victoria has already shown itself to be interested in soccer that if financing for a new stadium could be put in place it wouldn't be difficult to find additional owners.

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Given the size of the crowds that Highlanders were getting, they may want to consider a move to USLPro rather than a return to PDL, but that's a long way out either way.

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  13. Adam T

Adam T Member

Jun 26, 2006

Hrmm, it seems they moved in 2011 to a new stadium that seats 5,700. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

The 'better' certainly stands though as they play in a multi sport stadium that is primarily designed to be a baseball park.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States