Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd agree with you on Kane for sure but even if you and I and everyone on this forum believed it, you wouldn't have convinced Tottenham management that the time to get peak value out of an Alki transfer was two years ago. His development just hasn't worked out, I don't really know how much you could've predicted that from a Tottenham perspective (beyond the fact that he's always been a tweener.)

Think the Tottenham stuff is pretty simple, their players (and everyone else) can see it's a two-team league without significant investment, and they're a small squad that's played a lot of cumulative minutes over the past three years. The players are tired, injured, and don't see a way forward past what they've already achieved.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think it’s a lot more complicated than that. They just spent a ton of money this summer and kept Erikson.

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You weren't wrong there. :unsure:

NorthBank repped this.
  4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    danielh repped this.
  5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's an interesting twist, isn't it? For years we hypothesized that freeing up their economies and mixing them with the West would lead to an inevitable freeing of Chinese thoughts and politics. Turns out that maybe it's the other way around.*

*or at least more reciprocal.

bandwagongooner repped this.
  6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dude. It's so much worse than that. IIRC a few years back Huawei ran an operation that stole every single operation in Motorola.

Honestly, the only way you push back on the way the Chinese assert power is through leadership at the very top, and the current orange buffoon doesn't think at all, much less strategically about how to stop something like that. His predecessor clearly did, and everything he pushed makes a lot more sense when you realize his biggest strategic objective was to limit the way the Chinese assert power.

You're just never going to get any one organization, whether it's sport or otherwise, to push back by itself: there's too much money involved.

danielh, bandwagongooner and footykid repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Think it's partly burnout, partly injuries, and partly key contributors wanting out. They're losing Eriksen and Alderweireld on free deals next summer. While they should have sold Kane, I get why they wouldn't want to: he's a marketable homegrown star that's worth a lot (especially when you consider that they were trying to sell seats in a new stadium). They wouldn't sell him for anything less than Mbappe money. But no one would have paid Mbappe money for Kane then. And they certainly won't now.

Sure, they finally added to their squad this summer (and Ndombele looks awesome). But it seems like it's too little too late.

Super Llama repped this.
  8. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm pretty sure part of Kane's issues are that he's realized he's probably stuck at Spurs unless he does something drastic, and even drastic will take time.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IIRC Kane's deal is through 2023?

10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much agree with how you're seeing things here. I know for me the issues with Morey's statement really opened my eyes to the way that China is exerting control over other countries. I'm certainly much more aware of this than I was a week ago and its importance in my politics has gone up.

danielh repped this.
  11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really need to see that south park episode

it’s like they k ew this would happen

GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

13. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Canada is struggling with China as well, we've seen to have forgotten what soft power is. But also we're completely dependent on China to maintain the illusion that our economic theories are actually working. I think TPP was probably our best hope at the time, but we all know how that went.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ???

15. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Has to do with China and HK and how all the Chinese government has the fingers in globally. PRC owns like 30% of Epic Games which is a huge money maker for Blizzard via Overwatch. Ppl want to close their Blizzard accounts in protest and Blizzard is making it impossible to do.

thebigman repped this.
  16. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Blizzard basically excommunicated a player because of hong kong support on-stream. They are 5% owned by the Chinese/Tencent.

This may turn out to be even bigger than the NBA/China incident.

#BoycottBlizzard is a thing on twitter

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched sky sports news from today and as they promoted the big match this weekend between Yanited and Pool, they listed a combined best XI.

Guess how many Mancs got into that team? Exactly zero. :roflmao:

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Liverpool are going to score 10.

Shen-O and GunnerJacket repped this.
  20. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    This is funny even if it's from a Spurs fan.

21. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Ole at the wheel!

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welbz does his hammie in 2nd minute against Spuds.

All but proving right all those people who argued for us to dump him because he just can't stay fit.

Meanwhile the mighty cockerels go down 1-0 to the league's bottom dwellers. :)

23. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    VAR gets it wrong yet again. It seems like anything that is not an opportunity for them to do some weird trigonometry to prove an offside is basically ignored by VAR.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Spuds, what are those weird marks on the left end of their pitch? It looks like American football gridiron marks. But they run along the end line, perpendicular to how they should run in a stadium. Plus, I thought they had a separate turf field underneath for NFL. Did their grounds crew not get the memo??

25. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United will probably pull a game like vs psg and beat liverpool