Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And duh. I wait patiently for the day when the protection of the players will actually trump money concerns or team glory.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He came back on the same day. Like 30 mins later

The next day he couldnt start.

He never should have been allowed back on the field.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sánchez about to sign for inter

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him? I was a pretty big fan of his during his early period with us, but really I care very little for where he goes hence. Although I wish him good luck, i.e. if he can somehow resurrect the form and importance he had when he was arguably our MVP.

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I didn't see the incident you are referring, so I can't judge the severity of the contact. If it was severe enough to remove him from the game until he felt he had recovered, then he probably shouldn't have returned. However, if the 30 minutes out was the time required to complete the concussion protocol, false negatives do occur.

Concussions manifest differently based on the area of the brain that was primarily affected. I know of two cases where the players were perfectly coherent, but their color perception was off. Both were from normal headers. Had they not admitted it, I wouldn't have know anything had happened and would have left them in the game. Fortunately kids are generally more honest about what they are seeing and how they are feeling than professional athletes.

I also know from personal experience that there is a variation the questions a concussed person can answer correctly and those they can't. I was concussed from a fall in mid August of 1974. The ER Doc asked a series of questions including my age, which I couldn't answer, and who was the president of the US. When I immediately responded Gerald Ford, he told me I was going to be O.K.

NorthBank repped this.
  6. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    fast forward to 1:57 of the highlights

https://www.ecb.co.uk/video/1316160...y-4?tagNames=England-highlights&title=England highlights

7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Looks like James is ready for the Olympic springboard competition. Two 10.0s in the game with Wolves.

maskito repped this.
  8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its probably too thorough for football’s liking but I’ve done research at a hospital on concussions from blunt force trauma/syncope, whatever they were discharged as was just the beginning, we then needed to check on them days and weeks later, to verify that symptoms weren’t delayed or worsened over time. Lots of them left the hospital feeling pretty ok but we found lots who suffered later.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Lol

That happened to me in a game as a kid

Defending a corner my dude headed the ball point blank into the side of my head

I looked around and our white shirts were now green!

I went off.

10. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogba went down on slight contact in the box and awarded a PK...which is stopped on a great save. Stays 1-1 with less than 10 mins of regulation left.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point!

Pro athletes are so brain-washed (excuse the pun) into thinking that they should just suck it up, grit their teeth, and play on. Compounded especially in soccer when all 3 subs have been used.

There is so much room for improvement in player safety in general, but brain injuries in particular.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That was Tucker's main point.

Instead of just judging whether they passed an immediate sideline screening, more attention should be paid to the time of the injury and presence of symptoms.

So Smith was felled by a brutal blow to the back of the neck. He seemed laid out. He shouldn't have been coming back 30 mins later. And then we see he had concussion the next morning.

Shen-O repped this.
  13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Green is the color one of my players saw, she said everything had a green hue. The other player saw bright lights and his was from a cushioned header to a teammate about 5 yards away.

14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a while ago, 2011-2013, but we found more people affected 2-3 weeks later than 2-3 days, let alone 1 day.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not really surprising.

I think in cases like Smith, when the player is clearly stunned by the impact - they should be removed.

e.g in Rugby we see guys get hit, drop the ball and collapse like a deck chair, then recover within some seconds

Yet they were obviously incapacitated for a moment

Shen-O repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am cynical about footballs problems because in Rugby and Cricket VAR has simply become part of the entertainment and football just isn't that unique.

Especially VAR shouldn't be sold as being perfect - the whole point was simply to make decisions less arbitrary

So we are now agonising over the last 10cm of offside - but the good news is, we won't have SAF style goals with people a metre offside.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I have never understood why this sort of incident is a penalty

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kante is the only guy who could make it

Shen-O repped this.
  20. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    In interesting headlines from other sports...

[​IMG]

21. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ribery signed with Fiorentina. They could have used him a month ago in Charlotte!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  22. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florence is a fine city. Happy retirement Ribery.

23. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of classy finishes from Tammy Abraham at Norwich so far today. Has all been forgiven yet, or will he have to deliver vs. a team they aren't supposed to beat?

Pulicic looks good too.

EDIT: Giroud comes on for Abraham and the announcers mention Abraham is the first Englishman to score twice for Chelsea since Lampard 7 years ago :eek:

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #21974 casoccerdad47, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Palace up 1-0 at half with Maguire not covering behind Lindelof when a long ball to the player Lindelof was covering is flicked on and Ayew puts the flick in the back of the net. However, United should probably be up a man with Cahill appearing to deny a goal scoring opportunity when he brought Martial down just outside the box. The tv shots we got didn't show any cover behind Cahill.

Referee in this game appears to be making up for all the breaks they gave Fergie. Martial brought down in the box and no penalty awarded.

25. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Final

2-1 Palace over United.