Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I think you're probably right. Dunn's a midfielder/forward that has been converted into a left back because of her speed, but spread doesn't always make up for mistakes when you over commit against quality players.

I won't be particularly surprised if France win the game. I like the way they play, they combine well and move the ball quickly. But they are a little like Wenger's late stage Arsenal's teams, a lot of beautiful soccer without a matching end product.

yossarian repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I didn’t catch her name but you guys had a good midfielder

Blonde and quite stocky, she looked good

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Two of the starting midfielders fit this description, Jule Ertz.and Sam Mewis. Ertz is 5' 7" but plays a little bigger, (when not starting as a midfielder, she's a first choice CB) and Mewis is 5' 11". I think Mewis, in particular, had a pretty good game yesterday.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Horan fits it too, but only got a few minutes yesterday.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Likely Ertz, who I thought was a standout for the US. She's one of those who can quietly boss a game.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1143607808912482306 is not a valid tweet id

Super Llama repped this.
  7. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Japanese women are a joy to watch. So unlucky, wish they were still in it.

I hope VAR gets the guillotine soon, it may well ruin the game.

casoccerdad47 and Shen-O repped this.
  8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Just flipped in Jamaica v Curaçao and Curaçao just scored a Xhaxa-boom in the 3rd minute of a minimum 5 of stoppage time to make it 1-1. Wow.

danielh repped this.
  9. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    And they just missed a winner by an inch.

danielh repped this.
  10. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the Japanese through balls were KILLER, just daggers right down the center, so damn effective. As a forward, what more can you ask for, on their equalizer?

danielh repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In rugby we have had great VAR for years, so I find it hilarious how hard football finds this

The key to VAR as shown in both Rugby and Cricket is that the discussions between the video ref and the on field ref need to be fully televised.

It has to be part of the entertainment and fully transparent. What goes wrong in football is that you have the commentator talking about the images, which may bear no resemblance to what the refs are discussing. So then the decision may make no sense as we don't get any reasons.

Personally I think as in Rugby, if the on field Ref does not call for VAR, it cannot be used - unless foul play is picked up. (i.e. a potential red card offence)

Also - similar to cricket you could allow each team to have 1 review they can choose to use.

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    They have goal line tech in the AFL and its an absolute mess.

Thats the key. Give teams two VAR reviews per match and if they are right, they keep them, if they are wrong, they lose them.

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    exacto

VAR shouldn't be reviewing everything

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Also the ref running to the side to look at a monitor is like so old man

The replay can be on the big screen and viewers watch at home

The VAR really makes the call, so the ref doesn't need to run sideline and then be filmed watching the replay - its such poor production which excludes the audience

Amazing how football can't get these simple aspects of entertainment and TV production correct

I still suspect the real reason to keep football VAR non transparent is the corruption

Rugby reffing is 100% transparent and everything is mic-ed up

15. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Since it was in Spanish I had no clue what the commentator was saying, but holy shit, that goal advanced Curacao to the knockout stage! Well done!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wonderful Concacaf arranging double headers for the last group games so the teams that play 2nd know what result they need to advance. Fortunately for Curacao, El Salvador completely blew it losing 4-0 to Honduras. However imagine the celebrations for Curacao had they known that goal would've clinched them a place in the.next round.

danielh repped this.
  17. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Seriously? I thought the last matches of any group stage were to be played simultaneously so as to avoid a repeat of the Disgrace of Gijon.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in practically every other continent and every other competition yes..

19. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I generally agree, but the rush to implementation is mind boggling. They decided to debut VAR at the world cup, with referees that have 0 experience with it??!?!?!?! Surely they knew that there would be a statistically significant increase in penalties and handball decisions?

I have no doubt they *could* get VAR to work well overall, but it needs either your option (the red flag), or they need to change some rules. VAR (in my opinion) overrides the intention of the rules. There are just so many offside calls and penalty calls that are being called that were not intentions of the rules.

Mostly I just feel bad for the women that they were the guinea pigs here, of course, in their biggest competition.

20. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    They also decided to implement new rules effective June 1st so they all apply to the World Cup as opposed to, you know, keeping the rule changes for after the World Cup.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about Asseyi but Diani was the most notable/impressive player to my mind. Although I've only "watched" one of their matches so far.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you say the VAR makes the decision, not the ref, I suppose you're referring to Rugby. Clearly in football the ref still has the final decision, thus the occasional run to the sidelines to watch video themselves.

Too bad that VAR is getting so much stick at '19 WWC compared to '18 WC where it garnered a lot of converts, even many of the grumpy pundits who originally opposed it on general principals, came around to it.

I think the real problems with VAR at this WWC, and in general, are more to do with:

1) The decisions that involve VAR are way. too. slow. They need to work that out. There have been so many instances of +7mins added on to halves. That's a problem in many ways, including disruption to the flow of the game, not to mention being able to fit matches into the hallowed 2hr TV time slot.

2) IMHO the problem is more with the refereeing decisions based on VAR, rather than with the VAR concept or technology. This WWC seems to exemplify that.

3) Showing video replays of controversial decisions on the stadium screens is, I agree, very key. Including those crucial and frequent offside freeze-frames. If fans and players can't see what the refs see, or what the people at home see, it's only going to breed more underinformed disgruntlement (e.g. Cameroon vs England)

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked Megan Rapinoe, but today I heard about this, and my respect for her only went up a notch or two

p.s. Sorry if this offends any of you, or violates the unofficial rule of "no politics in footy forums", but since we're following and talking about USWNT, I think it's relevant. And I think more people, especially those in positions like hers, need to speak up. Truth to Power. @yossarian if you must delete this post, I understand.

AEAAFC96 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  24. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This forum has thankfully generally been at least tolerant with "kneeling". Don't do it on the USMNT forum though, it's barely one notch below /r/The_Donald. I was more than a little disappointed that she was the only one to take a stand -- especially when they have their own lawsuit pending against their own "federation". She sometimes can rub me the wrong way, but her conviction and importance over the last decade+ is undeniable.

I can't wait for the day until we're no longer afraid of our nationalists -- "free speech" only for them.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21425 NorthBank, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    England ladies look like the real deal today. It's helped a bit that Norway seems to have lost their ability to defend.

Edit: England's American-ish keeper seems to be their biggest weak spot. Their sticking with her for the tournament it seems but it could be dicey.

Which sets up a semi against USA or France. Could be tasty.