Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    lol. I like how you waited until it was officially announced since you’d been burned so many times before.

mebeSajid and thebigman repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I knew it would happen

Just not when

Super Llama repped this.
  3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I hope you don’t buy individual stocks!

thebigman repped this.
  4. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Miazga suiting up for the 2nd half like:

[​IMG]

maskito repped this.
  5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

6. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Wow lol. He'll become a legend there and we'll miss out.

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I completely forgot the ACN was moved, lots of international matches this summer!

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard a Totally Football podcast with the director of the new Maradona documentary. Sounds like it might be worth a watch, even for someone like me who never was the biggest fan.

9. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea what's different about this new one compared to the various older takes?

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't personally know because I've not watched a one. But there was a lot of talk about rare footage that they spent a few years unearthing. Also mention of both ex-wives being in the same show, which apparently is rare. And one of Diego's closest friends over his life was brought to tears watching it. Granted all of this stuff was said by the director who obviously wants to promote his film, but still it sounded interesting.

Here's the Apple podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...james-richardson/id1267958765?i=1000441026481

They haven't posted it to their regular website yet: https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/listen/. But perhaps they will soon? Maybe under olazzo section?

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard it's quite good but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

12. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll watch it. While I was never a Maradona fan, it could be argued that he is the most naturally gifted player ever to play the sport on the international stage. Imagine if he had actually took care of himself, and had put any effort into training...

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maskito repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beth Mead had herself a big game tonight against Argentina. She was tearing it up on the wing. Taking virtually all the corners. Perfect assist on the only goal. Taking no sh1t. Standing O when she was pulled at 80'. She should be happy.

The Jitty Slitter and maskito repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yossarian repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ex-Gunner Ellen White had her shooting boots on tonight. Super technique. Her lioness teammates owe her a few pints tonight. Not that they're allowed I suppose.

p.s. Current Gunner Kim Little was on the complete other end of the spectrum it seems. Scotland snatching defeat from the hands of victory, or whatever that expression is. Didn't watch that one so don't have the details, but I gather VAR played a big role for the game changing last goal.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA women having a bit of trouble with Spain just like France did w/ Brasil yesterday. Their first real test. A tough match. And against a Spanish team which has tried to kick the USA out of this game, not to mention diving. That said USA "earned" 2 PK's after real but not brutal contact in the box.

15-20 mins to go in regulation. USA up by one, but still not in any way sealed. Worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pretty open game

Shit final ball for both teams ruined it

Penalty I saw was soft for the second USA goal

19. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Humanity is a disgrace.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unconvincing but not undeserved. Spain played true to character which is tough (read: crunching) defense but had nary a shot save the goal gifted to them by one insane US lapse. I agree the 2nd penalty was soft but it was also the reaction to Spain having been aggressive all day. Wouldn't have griped if it wasn't called; Not surprised it stood.

21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me want to boycott that WC but all I'll be doing is missing games....this WC will happen in Qatar no matter what any of us do

AEAAFC96 and danielh repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All true. A somewhat ugly game. Luckily Spain didn't protest the way Cameroon did against England yesterday... that was pathetic.

Lavelle got touched and then flopped in an awkward way. I could've seen that not given, but on replay I'm pretty sure she got fouled lightly. So by the letter of the law...

The first PK, Heath got her foot stomped on so that was stone cold.

We did what we needed to do today, but with a bit of luck one way or the other, it could've turned out very differently.

Sets up an intriguing USA-FRA QF match Friday 3pm ET which many have said will be the "final" but both teams have fallen back to earth a bit since initial favorites were picked.

23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Be glad you don't follow a team like Australia, who were on a tear and had a quality coach, who our FA fired for reasons they want hidden (our FA is run by an ex Rugby flog who ran their code into the ground too). End result, team playing well with one of the top 5 players in the world and looks a chance to make the final, out early in the comp. Tactically terrible. Set up badly defensively and had to rely on scoring 4 goals a game to get it done because the team will concede a goal every match.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear Asseyi will roast Dunn, who constantly looked unsure on the ball. Garcia was giving her trouble much of the match, and I don't think she's as pacy as Asseyi.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would like to the US go more of a 4-4-2, dropping Rapinoe and adding Horan. Don't leave Morgan isolated up front and force France to escape pressure out wide instead of up the middle. Might also give Dunn more cover this way.

One thing that hit me reading an article last night was that Spain had 3(?) days more rest than the US coming into yesterday's match, likely knowing who they would face and allowing them time to build their game plan.