Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting theory. He definitely didn't do much... it's as if they played him just for his potential to pull some big finish out of his hat. How sure are you that Moura playing from 1' would've been the difference? Was that borne out by the last 30 mins of the match which Moura got to play?

I didn't really watch the game with any focus. I was supposed to be doing other stuff so I just had it on in the background, keeping an eye on things when they got interesting.

But even with that minimal attention effort, it seemed like one of the more boring finals in some years. What a contrast by each of these team's semi-finals which were insanely exciting.

thebigman repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Always a dangerous decision, risking the injured superstar or playing the healthier but less talented back-up. I tend to favor the latter move but we've seen instances where that was the wrong choice.

3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in that situation it's better to start the healthy player and use the superstar as a sub in the last 15-20 minutes. It's way more damaging to have to take the player off in the first half and completely adjust your game plan on the fly. See: Diego Costa against RM.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  4. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had they held back Kane until the last 20 minutes against a tiring Liverpool defense, maybe he would've made a difference. Given his condition maybe he wouldn't have regardless, but it would've given Liverpool something to think about deep into the game.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Basketball you play the superstar no doubt

But Tottenham’s best chance was countering and Kane had even less pace than usual

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hard to counter a team that is 2-0 up

That is the trouble with these one dimensional tactics

thebigman repped this.
  7. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basketball can sub in and out whenever. Not an accurate comparison.

Kane has never won anything. Not sure why spuds though it would change now. Guess that’s why they always fail.

thebigman repped this.
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The 2nd goal came really late. Typically the super sub comes in around the 60-70 minute mark.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meanwhile, @ the U20 World Cup...

France 2-3 USA

Yanks move on!

88AgentS, NorthBank, maskito and 2 others repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And injured LeBron still plays over 30 mins if needed

My point is one player makes more diff when they are 1/5 rather than. 1/11

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wait, I'm just now realizing the host nation for the semis and finals for the UEFA Nations League was chosen from among the final four competitors. Isn't that a decidedly unfair advantage? Why not choose a neutral site?

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why does the US get to host every Gold Cup? Money! For a tournament like this with no prestige, hosting it in a neutral country is a recipe for empty stadiums and empty bank accounts. Maybe it'll be neutral in the future.

Also, Portugal was the only Finals team to bid for hosting rights.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) Gold Cup (16 team tourney) and Nations League final (4 games) are 2 completely different scale events and conditions. And I highly doubt the UEFA event would face the same lack-of-crowd issues compared to a tournament featuring nations like Trinidad, Guatemala, etc.

B) There's plenty of interest in moving the Gold Cup but few nations capable of pulling it off with regard to venues, practice facilities, etc. Expect some rotation in the future but in the meantime it's voted by everyone and yes they go for the option that yields the most money.

Conversely, you think the UEFA F4 wouldn't make money in, say, Spain or Germany?

Most importantly...

C) Given the stakes involved why would I as one of the other three nations competing voluntarily give one team an edge? That's just stupid.

Now if only Portugal bid then bully for them and woe be to their opponents, but the idea is patently silly.

To wit: Portugal just scored in the 88 min to take the lead against Sitzerland. Hooray for home field advantage.

14. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Portugal appeal a penalty so the ref goes to VAR and awards Switzerland a penalty for an incident that happened before the one that that Portugal appealed for.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

had this in the wrong thread :)

yossarian repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the interest for a brand new tournament, hosted in a country where the hosts aren't participating, would be extremely limited. And I think most federations made the same calculation, which is why only 3 bid for it.

The stakes aren't that big. The prize money for the winners is a third that of the Euros, which reflects its importance pretty well.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea of hosting the UEFA Nations League final 4 in a neutral country has obvious merit. HOWEVER, having just seen what UEFA did with the EL Final, do you really want to give them the chance of fvcking this one up too?

17. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Baku is hosting group games in the Europe wide Euro 2020 next year (Rome is the other host in that group). Then they are hosting a quarterfinal match with the winners of matches in Amsterdam and Budapest, with the winners having to then fly to London for the semis.

Such a mess.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not know. Ugh.

Bribery is such a huge, endemic problem in the world. UEFA and FIFA are just smallish examples I suppose. But ones near and dear to our hearts. [emoji20]

19. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The own goal that England scored is a thing of beauty.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have been shit

Gomez and taa will rectify the defence but the midfield is awful. Terrible combination with no playmakers vs a pressure side

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Stones up to his old tricks again. Is he England's Mustafi?

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s not as good as we thought

Rice isn’t exactly pro at receiving these passes

Why England could t drop him to a cab position when taking goal kicks and push the fbs up I don’t know

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sarri to juve and hazard to real. Can we sell emery to Chelsea?

DaPrince84 repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @nicephoras i told you hazard would leave

Eventually