Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news, Fulham are officially relegated after losing to Watford 4-1 today. What happens to Callum Chambers now?

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Probably for sale. His best position appears to be defensive midfielder. Parker switched him back to defense the last few games and he was far less convincing there than he was at the base of the midfield. Unfortunately, Arsenal are flush with defensive/holding midfielders. As home grown he may bring in a nice fee.

Super Llama repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    xG does for oh Gee :p

Reversion to the mean is a bitch

Shen-O repped this.
  4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. We were fortunate to get the draw when we played them at home back in November. Hopefully, we've improved since then.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are we though?

Torreira, Guendouzi, Xhaka. Elneny's gone, Ramsey's gone, Suarez is gone.

It feels like there's room in the squad for Chambers, unless I'm forgetting someone.

6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Everyone's been hyping up our fixture list compared to other teams (like Tottenham), but disregarding the fact that we've sucked away from home for two years in a row and we're playing a lot of fixtures that Arsenal classically fcuk up horrendously.

7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Ramsey and Suarez aren't holding/defensive mids and Elneny has hardly played, that's the role Chambers would likely play at Arsenal next season, if not sold.

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Point taken, some of the pundits have been pointing to that issue to conclude that Tottenham and United will finish above Arsenal. One of the pundits pointed out that 5 of Arsenal's last 7 games are away, while 5 of Tottenham's last 7 games are at home and noted that Arsenal has already lost 5 away games this season, while failing to mention that Tottenham has already lost 4 home games. In fact, the problem with Arsenal's away form is actually the number of draws, their 5 losses are only bettered by the Liverpool with 1 away loss and City with 3 away losses.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've NOT been a fan of Chambers, especially in the back line. But I did take note of how he played pretty well in midfield for Fulham this year, even scoring a few goals. That's said, I'd try to sell him if he's only got +1yr left on on his contract. But if he's got more than that, I might hedge and bring him back... but only as a DM squaddie.

As for Saurez, he's been completely underwhelming. But I have a sneaking suspicion that Emery's willing to make him a pet project. I want to be wrong about that, but if I'm right then I pray pray pray that Emery knows something that we just have not been able to see, or at least that we don't waste any significant money on him.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard quite a few commentators/pundits/analysts point out our poor away form, and project that into a less than easy run in for us.

But me, I'm optimistic. At least at the beginning of these 7 matches (5 away). I'm feeling like we're only goin to drop points at 1 or 2 of the 5, and we'll win the rest. Assuming that is we don't get any major injury woes in this period.

At this moment I've got a decent amount of faith in Senor Emery. Generally he's had my full support this season, and I see no reason to take that away.

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    One of the points lost in this discussion of Arsenal's form is that since Kos returned Arsenal's defense has improved significantly. He came back in mid December, out of necessity, and ran into a couple of road bumps getting back into into playing shape, but since the turn of the year Arsenal have allowed just 8 goals in the 9 league games Kos has played, When you look the league games in which both Kos and Sokratis have played the numbers are even better, they have allowed 4 goals in the 7 games they have both been on the field.

So let's hope Kos returns quickly.

Shen-O repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So...we have 3. If two players get hurt, we're ********ed.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And it's not lost on ME. If Kos figures in our run-in, playing as well as he has recently then I'll make him our man of the season.

Some might argue that's not possible because he didn't play a full season. But his comeback has been a huge surprise if not near miraculous.

(Pray we didn't just jinx him!)

BUT in addition to that, even when he's out of the lineup, like yesterday, and Mustafi is playing in a 3, our defense seems to still play pretty well lately.

I think we may have finally achieved some kind of collective defensive quality in our system that's allowing for this. And if so Hallelujah!

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I think we tend to overlook how good the Kos/BFG defensive pairing was. Based on his return to form Kos was clearly struggling with his bad Achilles last year, and Per missed most of the last two years, but before that, when averaged over a three or four year period Arsenal's goals against numbers were as good as any team in the league. It looks like Kos is starting to form a similar relationship with Sokratis. Unfortunately, because Kos is approaching his mid 30s, I don't expect this pairing to last as long.

15. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing our injury history, keeping Chambers is a decent idea. I like that he has experience in a few areas.

That said, I could see us needing the cash he would bring if we are really going to overhaul our defense.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    danielh, maskito, Shen-O and 3 others repped this.
  17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, had those ridiculous Walcott-for-Sterling-swap rumors panned out. He really has matured in to not only a great player but one with a thoughtful head on his shoulders.

Shen-O and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seriously. He's dealt with some incredibly racist criticism with a lot of grace.

maskito and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sterling is the shit

Love his game

danielh repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you even imagine someone posting this 4 years ago? Let alone someone on this board.

Raheem and, dare I say, Pep deserve kudos in charting this amazing evolution

thebigman repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/sports/tottenham-hotspur-stadium.html

The bits that stood out for me were:

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was good at Liverpool when he was a teenager

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess but it's hard to forget the fizzling and frustration of his final years at Pool before he was traded. Today he's like night and day compared to then.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After that slightly over the top opening ceremony, the football team damn well better get 3pts.

But maybe just maybe they'll manage to spurs it up! ;)

25. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they sacrifice a live chicken??

GunnerJacket and maskito repped this.