Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    To me it seems each group has a favourite, be it big or small, and second is wiiiiiiide open unless you are in group B, in which case shit out of luck Morocco and Iran.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @DaPrince84 why has my homie iwobi got to play fecking Nigeria again? It seems u always play Argentina

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The only time we didn't play Argentina was 1998 (we didn't qualify for the 2006 World Cup)

It's a joke at this point.

And Iwobi is playing for Nigeria over because he wants to win the World Cup.

thebigman repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16804 NorthBank, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Come on you Hornets!

Edit: they were robbed in the final minute of injury time. Dier with a clear handball in the box. Should've been a PK. Oh well, spurs drop two points. :)

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I meant Argentina instead of Nigeria

6. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Group of Death: Collins Murkowski McCain Flake.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn! Citeh with another last-minute come from behind victory. But this time it wasn't Sterling it was Silva. It does appear that they are on a serious mission this year. About to set the all-time English winning streak record. But that could just prove to be United's motivation to beat them in a week.

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    "Klinnsman eyes Australia WC Coaching gig" is the headline doing the rounds this week.

Please. Dear god no. Please.

9. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude's just looking for cool places to surf. if oz rejects him, he'll be eyeing up fiji next

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    England getting spanked in the Ashes

cr7torossi repped this.
  11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    They are at least filling up the cliche bingo

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Playing on the Oz tracks is a different thing. NZ often gets exposed over there.

I wish could sit on the sofa for 5 days and watch a test match!

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benevento finally break their duck today. First point in 15 games. Over the once mighty Milan. And with a dramatic 95' header by their keeper!

They're goin down, but now their fans will have at least one moment to celebrate this season.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Gnabry beats Leipzig today with a worldie.

Ah, the ones that got away...

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Living that life now as I recover from injury. The negative is because they are evening matches, it doesn't start until 1:30pm as opposed to starting around 11.

cr7torossi and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some get away ("we uhhh almost signed him uhhh but...") and some are forced out because Arsenal is trash at spotting and developing talent.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  17. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never understand letting Guy Demel slip through the cracks.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16818 NorthBank, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    For lack of a better place to put this. And sorry for the length...

Mark Clattenburg's astonishing interview admission on Men in Blazers 12/2/17:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/12...ormer-pl-ref-mark-clattenburg-joins-the-show/ (discussion begins at 09:38)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05q3bwx (discussion begins at 49:05)

I must say that when he left the EPL for Saudi, near the peak of his game, it raised my eyebrow. But maybe he just wanted to cash in... OK. Then he popped up at NBC last month (he's signed some contract w/ them?) and said some odd things, while sounding a bit ego-maniacal. Then today I heard a snip of his MiB comments... Holy cow!

Amongst other things, he says that during the crucial Chelsea-Spurs match of 2015, which ended up giving Leicester the title, that he:
    * Knew it was "theatre" so...
    * He made a game plan to let things go and not send anyone off...
    * So that Spurs could NOT blame him when they lost the title
    * And the newspapers couldn't write any anti-Clattenburg headlines
    * "If I'd played by the book, Spurs would've been down to 7-8 players and probably lost"... "I allowed them to self-destruct"
    * And Diego Costa would've been sent off too
    * When Chelsea equalized "I'd never felt an atmosphere like that because they'd stopped the enemy from winning title"
    * "I Helped the game", and "I added to the theatre"
    * "People (in England) love a tackle... they don't want it punished"

OK, we've all seen refs have pre-determined styles for games, tighter or looser. And how hard it must be for the players to guess which way the ref is going to be... on any given day, or any given half!

But I can't ever recall a top ref so honestly admitting how they manipulate or control the game. Certainly not someone who was arguably the best ref in the world at a moment in time.

I used to put him at the top of the heap, the ref who I'd have most confidence in if he was on our match. But now? Whoa! Is he shooting his reputation in the foot?

He compared his job to being a pop star, in front of all those fans. That is exactly NOT what you want a ref to be feeling or focusing on. It's not all about you Mark!

The guys on BBC 5Live just slag him off: Wrighty, Steve Claridge & ex-ref Dermott Gallagher. Claridge, who I've found to be astute, said what my initial reaction was to Clattenburg playing god: "What if his game plan had backfired, and Spurs had won because he'd let them continue with a full team?"

Ay yay yay!

Still we all admit that he was a very very good ref.

19. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Clattenburg has a fair point. Imo, the issue is more with the rules of the game than with the officials. Because 2 yellows = red players are allowed to get away with stuff. If you increase it to 3 yellows = red then the ref has more flexibility to call the game by the rules from the start. It's also a consequence of goals being scarce, so anything a ref does to affect a goal is magnified. In basketball it's easier for the result to even out the refereeing and the quality of play because there are so many more opportunities to score.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 yellow = red... hmm, is that a thing? Has that ever been proposed seriously?

I'm not so sure it would change a whole lot, except maybe increase the amount of violence against the opposition you could get away with before really hurting your own team.

21. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    It is if you are playing Australia in a World Cup...

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lmao at the teams coming to the Europa

We ai t winning g this

Blueallthru repped this.
  23. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What it would mean is that you could actually card people early in the match without it completely changing the tenor of the game. It would also mean that the refs wouldn't need to let stuff go in order to keep the game "fair". Just cracking down on time wasting would be a worthwhile benefit, imo.

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    They are coming to Europa for a reason. Not even a team like Dortmund is a sure thing. We would smash CSKA Moscow, Celtic, it is seriously only Athletico and maybe Napoli if they don't make it that we should worry about.

thebigman repped this.
  25. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's definitely a gauntlet now. It can still be done though. But generally I agree, it just became a meat grinder.